Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini high tip Dumpers

Guys,

Looking to buy a 1 tonne mini high tip dumper to work alongside the 1.5 tonne mini digger.
    I've looked at Barford, Thwaites, Pel-job, Lifton, Neuson and Terex / Benford.
    At present the Terex / Beford with its hydraulic joystick control seems to be the newest design and best of the bunch.

I know a lot of these are on hire fleets and take some substantial abuse, so was just wanting to ask if any of you have experience of any of the above makes and what to look out for / avoid.

Cheers,
    Nigel

Re: Mini high tip Dumpers

Well Lifton and Neuson are the same .. Lifton is the older model bought over by neuson a few years ago .. dont entertain the Barford or pel-job, which later became Volvo, the ones you want are the latest Neusons.. but more so the Thwaites .. thats a reliable machine, the ones Ive had , had nothing more than a starter in them since the last 7-8 years, and an oil cooler, which I did away with as the machine didnt even need it as its hydraulics seem over specified IMO .. very good in the muck too... plenty of power under a full load .. never had a terex personally so cant comment on those ones .. hired them a few times and didnt seem too exceptional.. had a weird high tip IIRC but the joystick control was easy to use

Latest Neusons I like too , good transmissions, but flimsy GRP bonnets that chip when they get lowered over the tipping levers

Any reason why you have a thwaites as your avatar ?
    Last edited by Dan; 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Gaz,

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'm buying down the years 4+ sort of thing so its really a case of what comes up for sale at the right money.

Going to see a 2005 Terex on Saturday which seems in good nick from advertisement and on the money. We've hired Terex (Benford) high tips in the past and they seem solid enough machines. Takes a bit of getting used to joystick control the first few trips :o Know what you mean about the high tip tree. Weird bent arms and front pivot plate made up of plates and torque tubes. Seems more than adequately strong though. Certainly the heaviest lifting and tip rams of the bunch.
      I managed to get the parts manual from Terex today. Everything seems well put together and easy enough to maintain. The only thing which I might have concerns about would be repairs to the Poclain wheel motors if there was a problem. Think they could be a costly item if faulty or leaking. Then again, I think they all use the same motors, so this goes for any of the others too. Everything else should be straightforward to repair.

Neuson's are very rare over here. There's only been a local dealer the past 2yrs? Ain't going to be anything in my price bracket.

The mini digger is a Pel-job and at 4000>hrs still a faultless machine. Other than replacement rubber tracks an idler wheel bearing and new engine mounts, she's had nothing but regular servicing. All this after being an 5yr old ex-rental.
      Having said that, the pel-job dumpers were crap. We used to hire them regularly on site at a time when they were the only manufacturer making a high tip mini. Compared with todays machines they are outdated, underpowered with fragile gearboxes and only 750kg lift.

The Thwaites seem a well made machine, If one came up at the right money it would be a top choice.
      As for the avatar, it's the only picture I could find that stood out clearly as a dumper when scaled down to 160 x 160 pixels. :P

I'll keep you informed how I get on.

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by Powerfab
        Know what you mean about the high tip tree. Weird bent arms and front pivot plate made up of plates and torque tubes. Seems more than adequately strong though. Certainly the heaviest lifting and tip rams of the bunch.
        I wonder would that make it a bit more unstable when the skip is raised though ? what with all that weight high up, I'm sure it would be fine as long as the driver was no kamakazi
        The mini digger is a Pel-job and at 4000>hrs still a faultless machine. Other than replacement rubber tracks an idler wheel bearing and new engine mounts, she's had nothing but regular servicing. All this after being an 5yr old ex-rental.
        What model is it Powerfab ? IMO they do/did make some good products .. I'm a big fan of their 1.5 tonners

Having said that, the pel-job dumpers were crap.
        hehe quoted for truth
        Yeah .. let us know how you get on
        Last edited by Dan; 04-01-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

The mini digger is a Pel-Job EB16.4
          Here it is just after redecoration. Wish it looked just as good now as it did then (pic taken 2004)

Bought the Terex HD1000 mini dumper this morning. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take some.

Nigel

Comment

Aye she be lookin' tidy there Nigel ;) ... I used to have EB506 's and thought they were an excellent tool, operators loved them too, superb balance, and useful power. Latterly they were blighted by the puma electronics, and this earth/fault system though. Volvo carried on with this into their 'EC' range of machines, and it became troublesome in some units

I also had EB706's .. great when new, but man I can tell you some stories about weird and wacky faults with them once they got 3-5 years on them, some absolute crackers of problems, that ultimately cost me some customers

I used to say that if there was ever any part of that machine operating at 80% of its efficiency, that would be enough to down the machine.

i.e. .... 'slight' restriction to fuel flow from a tiny bit of dirt in the tank ..... machine dead ..... battery cranking the engine fine, but just not quite over fast enough ... machine dead .....spade connector to fuel cut off solenoid got a little diesel on it and connection not 100% machine dead .... AAARRRGGGHHH!!! they used to do my head in , but I'm over that now 8-)

Its a shame no one manufacturer makes the perfect machine across the board :)

Comment

Originally posted by Powerfab View Post
              Guys,

Looking to buy a 1 tonne mini high tip dumper to work alongside the 1.5 tonne mini digger.
              I've looked at Barford, Thwaites, Pel-job, Lifton, Neuson and Terex / Benford.
              At present the Terex / Beford with its hydraulic joystick control seems to be the newest design and best of the bunch.

I know a lot of these are on hire fleets and take some substantial abuse, so was just wanting to ask if any of you have experience of any of the above makes and what to look out for / avoid.

Cheers,
              Nigel
              hi have neuson 1 tonne skip loader very good machine. only downside when you release throttle pedal it stops so you have to get used to tickling the throttle to slow down, terrex had one on hire friday the joystick throttle was strange but once used to it ok downside to nueson slow top speed, had a 1 mile track to get to dump materials. neuson would have been quicker. as for benfords not used one but rather high seating compared to neuson and terrex so bit of prob if hight is issue. if you can get a neuson then get one if not then terrex ok. just make sure the joystick is in good nick could be expensive replacing, neuson more of the old type dumper levers for bucket and metal throttle pedal terrex all electrics joystick

Comment

Working...
              X