X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad blast

Building site blast hurls rocks onto cars and homes

Aaron Morby | Fri 24th August | 10:17

Bad Scottish builder MacTaggart and Mickel has launched an investigation into how a site explosion came to shower rocks and debris onto nearby houses and cars causing widespread damage.
    Contractors working for the house builder had struck rock while digging foundations for a large housing site in the East Renfrewshire village of Eaglesham.
    There were plans to carry out drilling and controlled blasting at the 121-home development, but local homeowners claimed no warnings were issued ahead of yesterday afternoon’s blast.
    One told local STV News: ”The whole house shook and rocks showered down all over, damaging homes and cars. There are debris and rocks strewn all over the roads and in people’s gardens.
    “I think at least 20 houses have been affected and there’s been windows panned in, house tiles smashed, cars damaged – I think it’s very lucky no one got killed.
    A spokesman for the construction firm said: “The incident took place earlier this afternoon during planned groundworks at our Eaglesham development, Polnoon.
    “While there is no evidence of anyone being injured our immediate priority is the safety of the local community, residents and personnel on site.
    “We are working with the emergency services who are on site and have a team of skilled tradesmen on standby to secure and repair affected properties.”
    “An investigation has already begun to establish the cause of the incident.”

A driven man with a burning passion.

Its just beside me this site .. and what astounds me is why they wanted to blast it instead of using breakers like every one else ? ...... cost of hiring an experienced operator and hammer perhaps ? .... well they made a complete arse of it .. kinda reminds me of a story one of my employees told me once about a new blast team that moved into the Glensanda super quarry and made a similar mistake .. showered the site offices with rock and destroyed many cars, and even the blast hut where they all take shelter ... the barge he was operating out at the sea dock also got deluged .......... nice one boys
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
    X