My little JCB 801.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My little JCB 801.4

I have to say, having read some of the comments on here regards JCB and in particular the 801.4 have to say I am absolutely delighted with the way my little machine has handled everything I have put her through in the last few weeks. It has worked none stop landscaping the whole of my 1 acre garden digging foundations, quite a large pond, digging out top soil and screening it. All in all has worked every day 10 hrs per day, digging, lifting, moving and dozing over a two week period, then 3 hrs every night and again all days at weekends and all I have done is greased it, checked levels and put fuel in.

Now you guys might say that that is normal and should be able to deal with that, but our 3XC at work is a lot more problematic, struggles to start, cuts out, very loose etc etc. and we spend around 2k a year on servicing and parts and it works for around 15 solid weeks a year out of the 52.

I'll be gutted to see this little maxchine go when all my work is done.:wub:

Well you dont have to get rid of it .. ofcourse, .. you could put it in your living room and make a feature out of it, or make a big flower planter out of it in the garden even ... be careful though, your sounding like your'e coming down with JCB'itis ... is a terrible affliction once it gets a hold, it can happen to land rover owners too

I've bought hundreds of diggers over 23 years, and when you're the guy (meaning me) specifying the product and fixing it when it goes wrong, your not long in eliminating the poorer brands Sure theres a place for JCB and I hope you have many more trouble free years ... history/fact will suggest otherwise though I'm afraid .. mind you, you could be one of the lucky ones that got a good one ... Ive owned machines that have never seen a spanner until they've put 6000 hours on the clock, and taken punishment from very tough users and environments, all of these things have an effect on the diggers life span. The JCB unit is also very basic compared to its foreign counterparts, poorly specified, and often behind the curve technologically, things that are standard on many machines are cost options on JCB's

I have to say their designs have improved a lot lately, but for a lot of people the test is jumping in the machine and using the thing in anger, and I have to say, having the benefit of experience of many other brands, a lot of the time, JCB still wont cut it.

As I'm sure you know, most of the JCB ribbing is light hearted , like a lot of products, they have a loyal following, backed by a comprehensive dealer network, which counts for a lot, but let me put it to you this way , I have only seen my Kubota dealer in my yard about twice in the last ten years, and I run quite a few Kubotas .. thats the difference

But hey .. if your wee machines is making you happy and doing all you need it to do then , thats what its all about, theres certainly plenty of them about, and theres got to be a reason for that I just havent found it yet
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I am glad your getting on we'll with your 8014!! I on the other hand am not doing so well with my 8018! I had to replace an ARV valve thing and then broke the main casting!!! And am not having more hydraulic trouble and its covered 1500 hours!! Glad there is a good one out there thought!!!

Comment

i love my little 801.4

hi rob, i've just bought an 801.4, its in need of some tlc but i love it, i'm putting new tracks on it this weekend, i've got 16 acres of land so its going to get well used in the coming year.....
        as i'm new to the forum, i take it people don't seem to like the 801 series?

Comment

Originally posted by bigspanishmarty View Post
          i take it people don't seem to like the 801 series?
          Well ....... its a tool for a job I suppose
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Rob-b View Post
            I have to say, having read some of the comments on here regards JCB and in particular the 801.4 have to say I am absolutely delighted with the way my little machine has handled everything I have put her through in the last few weeks. It has worked none stop landscaping the whole of my 1 acre garden digging foundations, quite a large pond, digging out top soil and screening it. All in all has worked every day 10 hrs per day, digging, lifting, moving and dozing over a two week period, then 3 hrs every night and again all days at weekends and all I have done is greased it, checked levels and put fuel in.

Now you guys might say that that is normal and should be able to deal with that, but our 3XC at work is a lot more problematic, struggles to start, cuts out, very loose etc etc. and we spend around 2k a year on servicing and parts and it works for around 15 solid weeks a year out of the 52.

Most people are jubilant to see them go.

Comment

hi rob
              i tried sending you a personal message buddy, but its saying you have a full inbox and you can't recieve anymore pm's until you clear your inbox, just wanted to let you know fella....

Comment

All clear now bigspanishmarty, send me your details and I will send you the manual.

ATB

Rob

Comment

hi rob, i've just bought an 801.4, its in need of some tlc but i love it, i'm putting new tracks on it this weekend, i've got 16 acres of land so its going to get well used in the coming year.....
                  as i'm new to the forum, i take it people don't seem to like the 801 series?
                  I know, but most of the guys on here are highly experienced professional digger drivers and engineers etc etc. and like everyhting there is good and bad.

Not knowing any better, I bought mine and am impressed and delighted with it so god knows how I would feel with a make these guys would recomend. Nevertheless I take great comfort in knowing that if anything needs repaired there are lots of spares available at a reasonable cost, both new and used.

Comment

cheers roberto......

p.m on its way dude.

Comment

cheers roberto......

p.m on its way dude.
                      Email is getting bounced back Martin

Comment

I have no idea about the JCB 801.4,from your description,it seems give you a lot of help.Hope to see the real machinery one day
                        Excavator dozer parts supplier
                        http://www.machinery-parts.net/

Comment

Email is getting bounced back Martin

ain't recieved an email yet rob?

Comment

ain't recieved an email yet rob?

See above Martin, I tried sending it yesterday but is getting bounced back?

Comment

Working...
                            X