• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long term forecast...........it supposed to be a chilly one

http://www.stephenoconnor.info/about...ml#.UIacMlFESM
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Pfffttt! Europeans don't know cold.

Comment

Hold on there Bert, We normally get serious snow here once every twenty years or so, couple that with an average temperature of 8 deg C it normally quite comfortable here.2010 was the coldest winter we had in 40 years with temperature of -14...................

Had a friend over from Nevada a couple of weeks back and he said here, it felt like he had stepped from the shower but couldn't dry himself properly.

Comment

Yeah Americans don't know cold either. When you experience -42C without the wind factored in then we're talking cold. We like to joke that's when the snot in a runny nose freezes on contact with the air when you breath in. The first couple breath's you can almost choke, the strongest steel becomes brittle like glass almost you can throw a bucket of hot water in the air or even cold water and it will freeze before it hits the ground. Kinda neat though but those are days when you stay home. lol

Comment

I a supposed to be having a meeting with someone from my local council about clearing the roads with my tractor and snow plough,so even in the worst weather I will still be working!

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
            you can throw a bucket of hot water in the air or even cold water and it will freeze before it hits the ground.
            yikes I think I'd be heading for a duvet and a soft bosom at that point
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

When you experience -42C without the wind factored in then we're talking cold. We like to joke that's when the snot in a runny nose freezes on contact with the air when you breath in. The first couple breath's you can almost choke, the strongest steel becomes brittle like glass almost you can throw a bucket of hot water in the air or even cold water and it will freeze before it hits the ground. Kinda neat though but those are days when you stay home. lol
              What kind of domestic water systems do you have in Canada? It's just that the winters of 2009 & 2010 in the UK were so cold that there were thousands of water cisterns/pipework totally frozen solid. Admittedly a lot of those cisterns are installed in poorly insulated lofts......

Comment

One might say Jack that it wasn't poorly insulated attics but incorrectly insulated attics. If I recall correctly in Canada the water tanks are included inside the insulation envelope to prevent freezing.............

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                  One might say Jack that it wasn't poorly insulated attics but incorrectly insulated attics. If I recall correctly in Canada the water tanks are included inside the insulation envelope to prevent freezing.............
                  Totally agree with you there Stock. One heating engineer said he shifts some of the RockWool insulation away from the area where the cisterns are to allow heat to escape from the house and stop the cistern from freezing.

Comment

Sewer and water lines are usually buried deep enough that frost can't get them. Hot water heaters are usually in the basement. Cisterns are usually underground same way septic tanks are.

Comment

Working...
                    X