Trailer to carry mini digger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer to carry mini digger

I have an old trailer with a body size 8' x 4', I need to put in a new floor for which I already have a sheet of alloy plate.
    Its on a single axle, 1.5 inches square, but has a fairly short draw bar.
    Can anyone offer any advice as to whether this will be strong enough to carry a 1.5 ton mini digger?
    I only intend to move it within a mile or so radius from my farm, and will tow it with a 100 HP tractor.
    hope someone can help!!
    Thanks
    Pete

It really depends .. can you give us some pics of the trailer .. or a manufacturer ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      It really depends .. can you give us some pics of the trailer .. or a manufacturer ?
      Will try to get photos tomorrow weather permitting.
      I also wonder if 8 x 4 is big enough.
      No manufacturer evidence as far as I can see.
      Pete

Comment

All Ifor Williams trailers for that size of digger are 8'x4' floors .. but they have dual axles, and a bucket carriage area forward of the trailer deck
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

What are the chassis rails made from? and what is the axle made from??

Wheel size if you wouldn't mind please??

Is it sprung?
          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

1.5 ton really isn't much of a load ,and considering some will also shared by the drawbar .AS others have said a picture and perhaps read the load ratings on the tyres .Of course there is a difference to what's legal and what is possible if your on public roads .
            Oh ,and welcome to the forum Ginger .

Comment

No pics as yet, weather did not permit.
              I get your point Wazza about whats possible and whats legal. Oh and thanks for the welcome
              Will try to get pics and more info tomorrow.
              Thanks to everyone for input so far.
              Pete

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
                No pics as yet, weather did not permit.
                I get your point Wazza about whats possible and whats legal. Oh and thanks for the welcome
                Will try to get pics and more info tomorrow.
                Thanks to everyone for input so far.
                Pete
                latest update, have pics but can't work out how to get them on here. Main chassis is 2.5 x 1.5 inch channel, axle 1.5 inch square possibly not solid, on 4 leaf springs, tyres 155R15 (max load 495 kg),
                Now worked out pics

IMG_1561.jpgIMG_1559.jpgIMG_1560.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_1557.jpg

Pete

Comment

Hello Pete

Personally I wouldn't risk a 1.5 ton machine in that trailer, it looks like a home brew with a small car axle.
                  Jack

Comment

I concur..............springs too weak, one could upgrade the chassis but it would be cheaper to start from scratch preferably on at least 7.5 x 16 or 285 x 16..........
                    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                      I concur..............springs too weak, one could upgrade the chassis but it would be cheaper to start from scratch preferably on at least 7.5 x 16 or 285 x 16..........
                      Hi Stock.....I'll take a photo of our home brew trailer (err..Trevor.....) tomorrow, just to give you a giggle....it takes a good ton of gravel but at an angle of incidence that induces flight - you'll see

Comment

Yeah I am going to have to say no to that carrying a digger!

its amazing that I can go to the local council quarry with my transit tipper and they will only load 1.250 ton on it but I could make a trailer out of cardboard boxes and syrup tins and tell them it takes 5 ton and they would load it! It's nuts!

Comment

And its a no from me too ... just look at your tyres ? 495KG each and youve got the weight of the trailer plus 750 KG's on each one by the weight of the digger, and then the buckets ? You would get lifted by VOSA if you tried it .. They would quote 'construction and use' regs at you even though your towing it with a tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                            And its a no from me too ... just look at your tyres ? 495KG each and youve got the weight of the trailer plus 750 KG's on each one by the weight of the digger, and then the buckets ? You would get lifted by VOSA if you tried it .. They would quote 'construction and use' regs at you even though your towing it with a tractor.
                            Thats a bit dissapointing, when Wazza suggested checking loading ate for tyres I thought you all would cough a little, still now I know now its a non starter!! However I do have 2 muck spreader axles with wheels and tyres, so I will have a look at these and measure up to see if trailer body will fit between the wheels!!
                            Anyway thanks to all for your helpful comments.
                            Pete

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
                              Thats a bit dissapointing, when Wazza suggested checking loading ate for tyres I thought you all would cough a little, still now I know now its a non starter!! However I do have 2 muck spreader axles with wheels and tyres, so I will have a look at these and measure up to see if trailer body will fit between the wheels!!
                              Anyway thanks to all for your helpful comments.
                              Pete
                              Muck spreader axels won't have brakes though will they?

Tbh I think you should just buy a purpose build trailer you can get them for £500. And it's build for purpose,

Comment

Working...
                              X