Scania brake chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scania brake chamber

Returning from a delivery and collection on Friday in my 30 tonne Scania , I could smell something amiss .. on passing the off side drive axle I could feel some heat from the hub, and the outer rim was warm to the touch .. turns out the brake hadn't been releasing properly, which I could not feel whilst driving.

Dsc00910.jpg

The fault was either a sticking caliper or a faulty brake chamber .. as its all round disk brakes, and calipers are fairly reliable I went for the chamber as the culprit .. checking the caliper as I went..

here is the old one .. theres not much to see as its a spring loaded chamber with an internal diaphram

Img_1727.jpgImg_1728.jpg

Its a fantastically simple thing to work on and change over ..some excellent design .. but my beef is with the Scania stealer called Reliable Vehicles in Renfrew.

Not for the first time .. they dont mind ripping their customers off...... 'good' .. 'long term' customers, too.

From time to time I receive a mail from the Scania HQ highlighting promotions, and I'm sure a brake chamber was one of those items, so I asked at my local stealer when I picked up a replacement if it was on 'special' and I got a garbled rubbish answer, when I looked at the invoice, the new chamber was £320 + vat .... a bit steep I thought ... when I got back to the yard, I didnt think I had any of the mail shot leaflets left , because I bought 2 super HD batteries from them in December, and used the same leaflet to secure a 'specials' discount then, which they also tried to overcharge me for, .. but hey Presto .. I found it, I'd chucked it between the seats of my Rexton, and sure enough .. a chamber was on the list for £205

Now dont get me wrong .. I have sung the praises of Scania before now .. only charging £75 for a set of massive brake pads for an axle for example which is fantastic value !, but this dealer seems to want to keep ripping off its customers , and this is very bad.

I have several stories in this regard, but I'll keep my powder dry on those for now

I'll wait till the official invoice comes through, but I wont be paying it if its the higher amount which I expect it will be
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

The brake chambers look a little different than the ones here but I imagine they work the same regardless. Are those both KX080's on that truck Muz? I think a load like that might be pushing the weight limits here but that would beat the hell out of pulling a separate trailer all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
      The brake chambers look a little different than the ones here but I imagine they work the same regardless. Are those both KX080's on that truck Muz? I think a load like that might be pushing the weight limits here but that would beat the hell out of pulling a separate trailer all over the place.
      Yes they are two KX080's and thats the trucks maximum load .. funnily enough its never a load Ive driven with, I did that for a promotional shot recently, not sure it would be nice with that weight over the tail .. ive had a similar weight on before now but with smaller machines, and it aint an easy job getting them all on infact its a bit of an art !
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I bet it is an art and probably just as much fun to chain down after.

Comment

And while I'm on a rant .. why is it that you cannot get a service manual for the truck you have paid for ? Sure I know the dealer wants to do all the work, but its out of warranty .. and I dont want to be ripped off by the dealer no more

Comment

Muz, I was on the scania uk main website recently and they had a lot of promotions on it and I'm sure I saw brake chambers on there!

regarding the workshop manual what model of scania do you have is it a 4 series or after as I may have the workshop manual on PDF format.

Comment

Originally posted by wee_gus View Post
              Muz, I was on the scania uk main website recently and they had a lot of promotions on it and I'm sure I saw brake chambers on there!

regarding the workshop manual what model of scania do you have is it a 4 series or after as I may have the workshop manual on PDF format.
              Yeah mate I mentioned above I got it for £205 despite the service dude charging me £312 on the desk !! Trying to rip me off he was

wow a manual? It's a P270 ........

Comment

Gees Muz , You sound like your creaming your Jeans , with excitement .

Comment

Has it got a d11 or d9 engine? I think a d9 but just to confirm and I can check tomorrow for you!

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                    Gees Muz , You sound like your creaming your Jeans , with excitement .
                    Well Ian .. I'm fairly savvy, and want to do a lot of the repair work myself, but I wont tackle a job if, I know I'm not going to do it right 100% cos its just gonna come back and bite me on the bum ....

Thats why I let other people fit carpets (a job I cannot do )

To this end .. I was gonna replace two drive axle disc brakes recently, so I looked at the bits, but wasnt sure how to split the wheel bearing so, because I didnt have the workshop manual, I farmed the job out .. as I depend on the truck daily, and couldnt afford to fook the repair up. In the end , I gave it to the dealer 'Reliable Vehicles' in Renfrew.. and guess what .. they ****ed the job up .. for starters they split the front hubs despite me writing DRIVE AXLE on the job log in sheet .. then they failed to re assemble the fronts properly, which became evident as I tried to drive home, with the near side wheel actually loose on the hub shaft then it transpired they had failed to fix the drive axle too ... it was a huge show of total and utter incompetance from a Scania dealer who I trusted would know what they were about.

It resulted in an apology, and breathtakingly ... they said they would not charge me for the time they spent dis assembling the wrong hubs ? ...... I mean ..... right ? ............ what was I supposed to say ?..... ... thanks ? .........by this time I had wasted a lot of time in the process, whilst they dicked about with my truck, and as a result I dont have a lot of confidence in their abilities, least of all the practices they are happy to follow, of ripping off their customers, as I alluded earlier in this thread .... and thats not all the crap they've saddled me with over the years ... as I said before great product .. poor dealer to say the least. Ive a mind to mail Scania directly about the catalogue of shameful errors ... how about a faulty footbrake valve they left me with for 3 years whilst it was under warranty ?

now I didnt start this thread intending to rant ... ... lordy .. im off to take a chill pill after all that

Comment

Your not alone Muz

I'm from Melbourne Australia, and my brother and I have 3 scania's, everything you have said is spot on Muz, we have been getting ripped off and lied to for the last three years. The mechanics must get some bonus or commission because everytime we take the trucks in it ends up being a massive job for them eg clutch peddle servo needed to be replace, yeah they replaced it but then were snakes and said it was the one behind the clutch, so out came the box and three days later and $6300 later we got the truck back, but little did the know we put marks on the gearbox and filed the thread off one of the nuts so when we got it back we had a look and of course they lied they never removed the gearbox all our marks were there and the filed thread was the same, we had a talk with the head boss and got nowhere we paid the bill and left. Every other scania owner that we know has told us the same thing, they are lieing rip off snakes. We are in the process of updating and are looking at getting 5 new trucks but scania the dogs won't be seeing our business, and as long we are in the business I'll tell everyone possible what b*****ds they are. Remember good news travels slow but BAD news travels very quick specially when your driving around the whole of Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by FUscania View Post
                        I'm from Melbourne Australia, and my brother and I have 3 scania's, everything you have said is spot on Muz, we have been getting ripped off and lied to for the last three years. The mechanics must get some bonus or commission because everytime we take the trucks in it ends up being a massive job for them eg clutch peddle servo needed to be replace, yeah they replaced it but then were snakes and said it was the one behind the clutch, so out came the box and three days later and $6300 later we got the truck back, but little did the know we put marks on the gearbox and filed the thread off one of the nuts so when we got it back we had a look and of course they lied they never removed the gearbox all our marks were there and the filed thread was the same, we had a talk with the head boss and got nowhere we paid the bill and left. Every other scania owner that we know has told us the same thing, they are lieing rip off snakes. We are in the process of updating and are looking at getting 5 new trucks but scania the dogs won't be seeing our business, and as long we are in the business I'll tell everyone possible what b*****ds they are. Remember good news travels slow but BAD news travels very quick specially when your driving around the whole of Australia.
                        Welcome FUscania

You are begining to confirm a suspicion about dealers Ive had for a while.. .. I am no stranger to having a service contract with my dealer, who invoiced me for £1000 worth of repairs every time I put the truck in for a check .. continually when I was suspicious that infact some repairs were ficticious or un necesary.. I now have another problem..

I am getting diesel in the coolant system .. and I am wondering how much I'm going to be getting stiffed for, to have this checked .. the suggestion is that its a cracked injector sleeve or sleeves but it needs special tools to resolve .. so I feel trapped in having to go back to the stealer

Comment

Welcome FUscania . Good to see another aussie about on the forum .

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                            I am getting diesel in the coolant system .. and I am wondering how much I'm going to be getting ripped off to have this checked .. the suggestion is that its a cracked injector sleeve or sleeves but it needs special tools to resolve .. so I feel trapped in having to go back to the stealer
                            Is a standard press regarded as a special tool then? Surely that's all it will need...head off. Jig up,press out, replace.......
                            ....I'm missing summat ain't I?

Welcome FUscania...no ganging up with Ian

Comment

Shit muz I was ment to send you over the info I have! I've got the workshop manual for the 4 series scania! Ano its got plenty of detail on the 9 litre engine as i used it to set ep the injectors once i replaced them!If you pm me your email I will send it to you tomorrow night once I get off this rig and back to Glasgow

Comment

Working...
                              X