More Scania trouble P270 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Scania trouble P270 engine

I've been getting some contamination in the coolant system for a few months now, not sure exactly what it was but it looked like white spirits/diesel .. and Ive been worried about the fuel rotting the rubber hoses therein if thats what it was. On my last inspection I collected a cup of what looked like diesel out of the header tank.

3 weeks ago .. a hose 'T piece' blew off just as I had got back to my yard, we are at the top of a hill so the turbo had kicked in and raised the water pressure of the engine and because the rubber had gotten weak .. it blew/split the coolant hose off. Easily repaired, I then flushed the coolant with fresh stuff .. and a week later .. the same again.. more diesel in the header tank... so research on the net suggested a cracked injector sleeve, which was allowing leaked off diesel to get into the coolant.

I thought it was time to deal with it .. as I really didnt want to get stranded with another burst hose, but .. finding the offending component has been the problem .. the truck is a 2006 build with 200,000 kilometers on the clock .. so not outrageous by any means for trucks .. and an injector sleeve was indeed the likely culprit .. either that or a head problem.

This engine is a 5 cylinder unit and each cylinder has its own 'head' .. which is quite a nice system.

On Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 I dropped it off to the dealer to fix/investigate the problem.. and I got told later that day that cylinder number 4 was the problem and that 'head' , would have to come off, but the dealer had not ordered a sealant required to complete the job so I had to bring it back the next day, to be fixed, but I had some deliveries to do next day, so they rebuilt it .. and I picked it up on the Tuesday night.

To investigate the problem .. all the injectors had to come out, which meant removing all the valve rockers too, as thats how these engines are built ..

When I picked it up on the Tuesday night.. I noticed a slight tick from the engine I hadnt noticed before, but just put it down to the fact all the stuff had been removed and replaced.. It went back in on the wednesday, and I was told it wouldnt be ready till late afternoon on the Wednesday, but then got called to say it would be late late, like 8 -10 pm ,.. so I just said I'll get it next day.

On the Thursday when I picked it up, the tick was still there after the head had been taken off and the injector sleeve repaired, and after a bit of travel, I called the dealer, as I was a bit concerned as it had got a little louder, who said just bring it back in, so I did .. they then checked the clearances, and said cylinder No5 was a 'bit tight' on an exhaust valve (it was 4 that had the sleeve problem). And so after a couple of hours I left .. everything having been checked thinking... what was that ?

On Friday .. I started work as normal but after a couple of hours the noise returned .. but louder, then a second noise appeared .. a little blue smoke, and I just pulled up and stopped and phoned in to the dealer for recovery.

IMG_1764.jpg

The dealer never called me all day. I phoned him at 4.30 before close of business, and he told me the engine had 'bent a valve'

Later investigation revealed cylinder number 5 had 'dropped' a valve into the cylinder due to the dealers fitters not re setting the clearances properly. So a perfectly good engine was handed to them , on a perfectly good truck, and they've buggered it what do you make of that guys ?

They have repaired it by fitting a new head, piston and liner and what ever valve components at their expense but I am not happy
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

What are they using for Fitters ,trained monkeys .
    Sounds like the fitters need to go and get trained .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
      What are they using for Fitters ,trained monkeys .
      Sounds like the fitters need to go and get trained .
      Exactly! ......sounds like un-trained monkeys
      They should be insured for claims against them for compensation (loss of earnings etc due to vehicle out if commission). Muz, is there still fuel getting into the coolant?

Comment

I don't know .. There will still be some contamination from the original fault , so I'll need to run for a week or so to find out althought the dealer said they flushed and washed it out ? But I did notice the fresh coolant had gone a little 'milky' within a day or so
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Bleedn hell muz that's bad Craic that so it is! Did they give you a replacement truck when they had damaged yours?
          i hope to god they waived all fees for doing the injector sleeves as agood will jester?

The manual i have is to big to send via email.. There was one on ebay the other night for under £10 and it was the newest one.

Comment

Originally posted by wee_gus View Post
            Bleedn hell muz that's bad Craic that so it is! Did they give you a replacement truck when they had damaged yours?
            i hope to god they waived all fees for doing the injector sleeves as agood will jester?

The manual i have is to big to send via email.. There was one on ebay the other night for under £10 and it was the newest one.
            I very much doubt it mate .. although I did point out to them what a hassle the whole thing had been .. perhaps a letter to Scania about the dealer is in order ?

Just ordered it mate

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              I don't know .. There will still be some contamination from the original fault , so I'll need to run for a week or so to find out althought the dealer said they flushed and washed it out ? But I did notice the fresh coolant had gone a little 'milky' within a day or so
              Muz, I found this on TheDieselStop Forum

had fuel in my coolant, and had to have my injector cups replaced a couple of years ago. I had a Ford dealership replace them, and they did replaced all 8 of them. They also recommended replacing all of my hoses due to contamination from the fuel. In hindsight, though, I'm not sure how effective replacing the hoses was. Even after flushing the cooling system twice, it took a MONTH of Sundays, and THOUSANDS of miles to finally rid the cooling system of fuel. I probably drove klhansen crazy,
              but he helped me through it. As I remember, his idea of floating oil absorbent pads in the overflow resovoir was how I got rid of the last little bit of fuel in the system.

Comment

Yeah ... Thanks jack I scanned a few of those forums in search of the problem but don't know if I saw that particular thread though... I've been monitoring my situation and I still have the smell but don't see any residual fuel appearing as yet

Comment

Well, on the bright side, diesel is quite a useul coolant............

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
                    Well, on the bright side, diesel is quite a useul coolant............
                    But it softens rubber and makes it weak ... as I mentioned earlier, Ive already had one hose fitting blow, and fear more to come.

Comment

But it softens rubber and makes it weak ... as I mentioned earlier, Ive already had one hose fitting blow, and fear more to come.
                      Ah. Yes. Well..........

Comment

Well it was back in yesterday, because of an exhaust noise I wasnt happy about, and got returned today to have it resolved.. and barring a cold start test tomorrow morning.... the result is .. FINALLY .. the engine sounds the way it did when I gave it to them.... just to have a simple injector sleeve done.

The service manager said they had fitted , or refitted some rings in the exhaust system .. which to my ear meant he really know what he was talking about.

When you drive something every day .. you know EXACTLY when it sounds different .. despite all the pish the dealers suggest .. In their defence .. they have now fixed it, but its taken many visits to do so which is rubbish service.

I will wait with anticipation to see how they invoice all this stuff

Comment

I very much doubt it mate .. although I did point out to them what a hassle the whole thing had been .. perhaps a letter to Scania about the dealer is in order ?

Just ordered it mate
                          Good man, sorry I couldn't send you it. Each folder had about 40 sub folders and each file in them was too big to send otherwise I would of sent it no problem.

if I were you I would be making a big fuss to scania about this unfortunate incident! I wonder how often this happens! Have you ever tried first truck & van centre on London road? It's just after the new arena in the industrial estate! Used to use them when I worked at hunter Clark! They seemed very good! Never had problems.
                          although the service manger seemed a bit full of himself but that's another story...

http://firsttruckandvan.com/

Comment

Good man, sorry I couldn't send you it. Each folder had about 40 sub folders and each file in them was too big to send otherwise I would of sent it no problem.
                            No worries gus .. My ebay copy came yesterday .. and the DVD's actually had my truck 'in' the file system on them and they were a big bunch of files for sure ... I keyed in my serial number and come up with all my relative data .. wish I'd done it ages ago

Now I know all the dealer secrets for this truck

Best 12 quid I ever spent so far

Front disk brakes next,... and now I have all the settings to do it

Comment

That's good mate, I bought a few of these discs when doing my apprenticeship to give me a helping hand as I wold rather tighten bolts to correct tourqe and help diagnose odd faults! It's in fact what I used to diagnose the injector fault my uncles scania had that scania couldn't diagnose!

yes that's right scania came to Uist to diagnose the fault but left unable to do so!

Comment

Working...
                              X