Lifton LS750 - Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifton LS750 - Battery

Hi, I'm new here, just picked up a Lifton LS750 high tip dumper, seems to be a great little machine, had it running really well last weekend, but yesterday was a disaster.

First off, it wouldn't start, had to jump start it off my pick-up then it was fine for a while, kept it running in case it wouldn't start again, then stupidly ran out of fuel, thought it was full, but it seems the sight glass is stained red and doesn't show the level

Filled it up and it wouldn't start, so had to jump start it again, after that it kept cutting out and had to jump start it every time, think there was some air in fuel system to start with, but hopefully cleared that now. A few times it cut out straight after jumping it and either putting the engine cover back down or sitting on the seat which is mounted on the engine cover.

The ignition light glows pretty much all the time when its running unless its under high revs, I suspect the battery isn't man enough, and/or the alternator/dynamo isn't charging the battery enough.

I changed the terminals on the battery leads for quick release ones, but as far as I can see they are making contact well enough.

The battery installed is a fairly new Yuasa 038/53528, 265 CCA Amp/35AH (20hr).

Hoping someone might have some advice on where to turn too.

Many thanks

Originally posted by andyr View Post
    Hi, I'm new here, just picked up a Lifton LS750 high tip dumper, seems to be a great little machine, had it running really well last weekend, but yesterday was a disaster.

First off, it wouldn't start, had to jump start it off my pick-up then it was fine for a while, kept it running in case it wouldn't start again, then stupidly ran out of fuel, thought it was full, but it seems the sight glass is stained red and doesn't show the level

Filled it up and it wouldn't start, so had to jump start it again, after that it kept cutting out and had to jump start it every time, think there was some air in fuel system to start with, but hopefully cleared that now. A few times it cut out straight after jumping it and either putting the engine cover back down or sitting on the seat which is mounted on the engine cover.

The ignition light glows pretty much all the time when its running unless its under high revs, I suspect the battery isn't man enough, and/or the alternator/dynamo isn't charging the battery enough.

I changed the terminals on the battery leads for quick release ones, but as far as I can see they are making contact well enough.

The battery installed is a fairly new Yuasa 038/53528, 265 CCA Amp/35AH (20hr).

Hoping someone might have some advice on where to turn too.

Many thanks
    Hi Andy , welcome to the forum

Sounds like you have a few issues there .. any air in the system will certainly cause it to cut out, is there an electric pump to prime those machines, or is it a little thumb lever under a fuel bowl ?

Make sure all your seals and orings are in place on filters, and water traps to prevent air getting in too.

Your ignition light problem will most likely be a knackered alternator, incorrect belt tension, or a charging regulator fault ... the last two would be the most likely. You could also pull off all the terminals and make sure all the connections to it are good, as there can sometimes be problems there too .. follow back to the fuse box, and check those connections too to eliminate them also
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi Muz, and thank you....

It has a thumb lever, have used that, and little resistance, so hopefully, it has cleared any air out, it ran so well the first day, I don't think there is a problem with seals etc. but will check them over.

Will check the leads etc, the belt seemed reasonably tight, but maybe I will double-check that too, I don't suppose you knoe where the fuse box is lovcated, didn't notice it yesterday, but was getting frustrated!!

What about the battery, do you think it's up to the job?

Cheers

Comment

If the charge light is staying on you may have an earth issue, but more likely the diodes in the alternator are stuffed.
        (can be caused by bad earth, poor jump starting technique,or just fair wear and tear i.e. the brushes have worn out.) When you get it running again better check the charging with a meter and you should be getting between 13.8 -14.5 volts.

You might need to change your diesel filters as most dumpers are drum fed and acquire copious amounts of crud in the tanks so when they run out some of it gets sucked into the filters..........Keep a watch out for water as well...

P.S skip over to the introductions and introduce yourself so as we can all welcome you proper like ..............
        A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Thanks Stock

I was wondering about the earth, I remember that being a frequent problem on older cars back in my youth, I also suspected the alternator, it looks like its just a tiny think, so hopefully easy to replace, if still available.

You mention "poor jump starting technique" do you have any tips, seeing as i have had to do a lot of jump starting on it?

Does anyone know where I might lay my hands on an operating manual/service guid at all?

Cheers
          AndyR

Comment

A quick update, it may well have been operator error on the starting routine that was affecting the battery, didn't spot the seller turning the key till the pre-heat light came on and holding for 10-15 seconds before starting (been driving diesels for 25 odd years and didn't pre-heat, what an idiot) anyway, now I'm doing that properly with a new more powerful battery, it's starting fine, but still doesn't appear to be charging as the battery needs a quick boost afterwards.

Will get round to looking into the alternator shortly.

Comment

Working...
            X