Sealing dodgy wheel rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing dodgy wheel rims

bung a black bag into the tyre/rim and seat it around the rim using the bag as a flexi sealer
    Frank Daily .. yesterday .. today.. tomorrow .. everyday

Thats a cool one
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I was following a truck last week which I thought had a brick stuck between its tyres .. and I'm sorry but I always try and stop those drivers, as Ive got personal experience of the down side of this, anyway like a numb nut psyco, I got closer to take a look and it was a bit of black bag flapping on the rim

This is bad practice on road going vehicles I think .. plant yes, but trucks ?
      Last edited by FrankB; 24-03-2011, 09:31 PM.
      Hydraulic oil -- its in my veins - - - well I assume thats what the pain is

Comment

Very bad practice in my opinion. Whenever we take a wheel off (be it for a tractor that's used once a month, or the lorry that works 24/7) We Needle gun, Sand and normally repaint it. It's time consuming (Thus no one really works this way anymore) but it gives a quality job that lasts.

If I was on site and pushed for time I might try this bin bag lark, but you cannot beat a quality and above proffesional job.

I dislike the Idea of needing this trick for "Dodgy" Wheel Rims, As around here it genrally means that the wheels are so far gone that one jolt and the wheel will burst off.
        http://rsandersplanthire.com/ Plant Hire and Earthmoving

Comment

I had a new set of 315 fronts on my Scania a couple of weeks ago and the tyre shop muppet couldnt get one of them to bead seat .. so I could see where a bag would work there, but they have a tool for doing this, its like a cylinder that they charge with 120 psi or so, they offer it up to the rim/tyre and open the valve and it blasts a huge amount of air in, in one go .. sorted !
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

wish my boss would buy one of those cylinders! bad practice i know but sometimes i put a wee bit of acetylene in side and light it boom trye infalted on the bead lol. or when i was really really stuck, used the suzie and an airline to pump up the tyre on the firms artic done the job anyway

Comment

Originally posted by wee_gus View Post
              wish my boss would buy one of those cylinders! bad practice i know but sometimes i put a wee bit of acetylene in side and light it boom trye infalted on the bead lol. or when i was really really stuck, used the suzie and an airline to pump up the tyre on the firms artic done the job anyway
              Lol .. you betta watch out with that stuff the explosive power is big

Comment

its ok as long as you dont put too much in, bonus of doing it this methed is it also inflates to around 50 psi lol

Comment

Originally posted by wee_gus View Post
                  its ok as long as you dont put too much in, bonus of doing it this methed is it also inflates to around 50 psi lol

Well I used to have some fun with it in plastic bottles .. I used to chuck them into a barrel that was burning the rubbish .. what a blast came off even just the 250ml ones, but it had to be the right mix of oxygen and acetylene. The fun went out of it when I filled a bottle with the mixture, and went to stab a flash hole in the bottle with a small screw driver ... the whole thing exploded and set fire to my jersey ... I never would have thought acetylene was so easily detonated ,,... so go easy folks and dont try this at home

Comment

Working...
                  X