Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCB paint shade? and is there a special tool for bushes

Hi everyone,

We need to tart up the front cheeks (under the cab) on our 801.5 as they have a bit of bubbling and surface rust. Not worried about that but when we come to buy the paint we are told there are four shades of JCB yellow. Can anyone say what shade would be correct for a 2002 801.5? I have found the JCB RAL (1007?) but if ours was different back then I'd like it to match.

And...

I want to replace the main boom bushes and pin at the kingpost. The only bushes I've ever done were on an old Ford Cortina MkIV and they were a nightmare until we were told of a magical special tool which made it laughably easy. Am I looking at having to buy or make a similar tool to do these bushes or are they easy to replace i.e. tap out with a mallet and a bit of plastic?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff.

Originally posted by Blairvoyach View Post
    Hi everyone,

We need to tart up the front cheeks (under the cab) on our 801.5 as they have a bit of bubbling and surface rust. Not worried about that but when we come to buy the paint we are told there are four shades of JCB yellow. Can anyone say what shade would be correct for a 2002 801.5? I have found the JCB RAL (1007?) but if ours was different back then I'd like it to match.
    Chances are that your original paint will have faded due to UV degradation, and the original or correct code will still look different when its on and dry, so the trick is just to get something as close as, and do whole panels to an edge, so its not as obvious

I want to replace the main boom bushes and pin at the kingpost. The only bushes I've ever done were on an old Ford Cortina MkIV and they were a nightmare until we were told of a magical special tool which made it laughably easy. Am I looking at having to buy or make a similar tool to do these bushes or are they easy to replace i.e. tap out with a mallet and a bit of plastic?
    Do you know if the bushes are steel or made of something softer ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi everyone,

And...

Thanks for any help.

Jeff.
      Hi Jeff
      Re paint, you might find what you want on this site <http://www.paints4trade.com/index.asp>. I got a good match for my 9 year old Benford dumper and their prices were very reasonable compared with anything I could get locally. I took a flake from a body panel, posted it to them and they suggested a close match. Good prompt shipping service too.
      Rgds CL

Comment

It is not yellow , But more a shade of Lemon isn't it Muz .

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
          It is not yellow , But more a shade of Lemon isn't it Muz .
          Dont start ..............
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks chaps, I'll just get a mid-shade and that should do. As to the bushes, I think from looking on eBay which is the only place I can see pictures (although I have ordered the parts from Scot-JCB) that they are steel with a perforated spacer. Hopefully, an easy out. The only reason I am changing them is this is the only joint I can detect any play at all so might as well start off with the machine as tight as poss.

BTW, I am gradually forming the impression that the JCB line of mini diggers is not considered to be the cream of the crop :)

It's funny because when we returned the plant trailer we hired to collect the 801.5, the owner of the hire company asked which model we had bought (2002-2003 with genuine 1050 hours) and then proceeded to tell us that that was the only model he would use (up to 2005) as not only did he consider them the best JCB had made but his customers would not take the later models and three of them in the shop at the time backed him up on both counts. He'd had the later models but they had all gone back and he wasn't buying any more until JCB went back to the old way of building them, he certainly didn't appear to be a fan of the tubular booms they fit now or the doors. Anyway, ours certainly seems to be a decent piece of kit and will certainly be more than enough for what we need (cleaning ditches and grading the lane on the farm).

Many thanks for the help, can't say I'll be able to reciprocate as I know little about hydraulics etc although I do get to repair most of the excavators on the island as and when they get bent and we are always modding buckets.

Jeff.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum By the way Mate .

Comment

BTW, I am gradually forming the impression that the JCB line of mini diggers is not considered to be the cream of the crop :)
                Oh ? ...........

Well they are a tool for a job ... I have seen great improvements in design over the years, its just the stuff they put in 'em thats the problem And FWIW, all manufacturers are guilty of skimping on the quality of components from time to time, they do it for a while until the warranty departments phone gets too hot to handle

Go back 5 years say, pull a dipper ram appart from a 3 tonner off a Volvo say, and compare with a Takehuchi or Kubota and see the difference in quality, size of seals, and numbers of them .. its an eye opener

Comment

Had heaps of hassle with my 8018! It's a 2005 thought! I think they have stopped making tubular booms and gone back to box shaped one! I like the tubular boom though!

Comment

Still love my little 801.4 though, just spent 2 solid weeks on it none stop dawn til dusk in the garden and never flackered, just rubbed her nipples now and again.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                      Dont start ..............
                      Is that descriptive text Muz........they do sometimes....in the summer..

(sorry Wee Jim, ....they started it......'tis contagious.....)

Comment

.....s'cuse me Jeff, forgot my manners...

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Working...
                        X