And it never ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And it never ends

According to operator, the pin just fell out by magic and it was not noticed till this happened. I'm not even sure what kind of pressure/strength is needed to bend such a thick piece of metal out of shape that much
    Am I looking at a replacement of the whole part or can it be fixed?

Thanks

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

Can you give us some more details of the digger and more pics if possible ... it would be easy to come to an armchair conclusion, but experience suggests a few other angles would be good before an opinion is ventured
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Can you give us some more details of the digger and more pics if possible ... it would be easy to come to an armchair conclusion, but experience suggests a few other angles would be good before an opinion is ventured
      oops sorry forgot to include the details
      Volvo BL71 2004 11880005 SER NO 10021
      I only took two pics but can get some more tomorrow morning.

The part number is voe 11884737 and most likely cost me an arm and a leg from the stealer.
      On the diagram, it's where the pin (8) fits that is damaged.
      I don't know how many hours the operator has used it like that but I'm sure something catastrophic is going to happen sooner or later as the pin on the other side is only halfway through the bushing.
      Anyone seen anything like that before, please share - I'm hoping this is not the first time something like that has happened.

IMG_1128.jpg

Comment

Looks like a whole boom is required, unless you can straighten the forks, but heating them will change the strength of the metal so I wouldnt. It might not be do able anyway if they are cast inserts. Sounds like the pin has broken up too.

Looks like pretty brutal damage, caused most likely by lack of grease. Eventually the pin binds on the internal bosses causing the pin to lock, when this happens, it starts to chatter on the retaining bolt or locking assemly which then fails, allowing the main pin to work loose. Expensive and easily avoidable, if the operator was working for me and it was his machine, he would get the boot
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Right now...cannot afford a new boom as we lost three contracts due to being in a banana republic and finance is tight at the moment. The ear is welded to the boom. Thick seam of weld that goes alongside it. Operator has been sacked already. If I had my way, my boots would have left a mark on his backside. The ear is quite thick...if it does come off clean by using angle grinder to remove the weld, is there a way to bend it straight without heating the part?

Comment

I reckon it`s probably repairable,but the pictures don`t show enough to be 100% sure.
            Where about are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gridley View Post
              I reckon it`s probably repairable,but the pictures don`t show enough to be 100% sure.
              Where about are you?
              I'm in Mauritius. Don't ask why I thought it would be such a good idea to setup shop there. Not easy to get parts here as there's no volvo dealerships. Well there's one but the only thing they do is import machines and not the parts...go figure. Had one too many arguements with them already. I'd have to order from uk then have it shipped. I'll post more pics and maybe a vid tomorrow.

Comment

I think I can still see the retaining bolt in place, although its loose .. if it hasnt been put back in,.. maybe the pin has broken up first .. but it doesent explain why the flange on the 'end' of the pin is all bent and distorted where the bolt goes through?

Comment

breakers

there are some breakers about , not many though

http://www.queensburghplantsales.co.za/tlb.asp

Comment

Get out the hot spanner heat it straighten it and reinforce it with some additional plate in a "V" pattern off the pin.
                    One might need to look at the amount of shims on either side of the dipper.
                    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Finally was able do to go the workshop today.
                      Took a few more pics from different angles.
                      Bottom view
                      bottom view other side gap.jpg

Bottom view
                      bottom view.jpg

close up.jpg

Pin on other side
                      other side.jpg

weld seam?
                      side view.jpg

Top view
                      top view.jpg

weld seam?
                      weld seam.jpg

thanks all for your help so far. hopefully these pics will give you a better idea of the damage

Comment

Have you owned this machine from new ?

Comment

Atleast it doesent look like the forks are cast which is a start. If you are going to repair it, you need to inspect the bushes inside the dipper incase they have moved into the centre. The pin may well have broken inside where the greaser hole is. I'd replace it with some sort of captive pin with the securing flange as is, at one end and a large washer and bolt screwed into the pin, to stop the forks spreading again, incase theres some sort of alignment problem with the boom and dipper.

Comment

Have you owned this machine from new ?

No i have not owned this machine from new. Was initially a demo machine at volvo duxford then went to a road maintenance company before i bought it.
                            It was checked by fitter when I bought it.

Comment

Looks like a whole boom is required, unless you can straighten the forks, but heating them will change the strength of the metal so I wouldnt. It might not be do able anyway if they are cast inserts. Sounds like the pin has broken up too.

Looks like pretty brutal damage, caused most likely by lack of grease. Eventually the pin binds on the internal bosses causing the pin to lock, when this happens, it starts to chatter on the retaining bolt or locking assemly which then fails, allowing the main pin to work loose. Expensive and easily avoidable, if the operator was working for me and it was his machine, he would get the boot
                              You sir are an expert. Mechanic finally spilled the beans - machine was not greased properly by operator, pin came out, operator kept digging till the damage happened. Operator panicked, called mechanic who came and put the pin back as it is now.

Comment

Working...
                              X