Winget 3S clutch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winget 3S clutch problems

I have an ancient Winget 3S dumper, Petter single cylinder engined, that has a clutch problem - the clutch pedal seems to operate ok but the clutch does not disengage. So either the problem is that the clutch plate has rusted onto the flywheel or the primary drive shaft into the gearbox is seized in its bearing. Either way I need to remove the clutch bell housing to see what is occurring.

It isn't obvious to me how to achieve this without either (a) unbolting the front axle so that the whole clutch bell housing/gearbox/prop shaft/front axle assembly can be slid forward, or (b) unbolting the engine from the chassis and from the bell housing and moving it backwards.

Not sure that I much like either solution, but needs must. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I might approach this problem? The way the UJ between the gearbox and the prop shaft is constructed, it can't be removed (which was my initial thought) without shifting the front axle, so that direction doesn't look promising to me.

Any helpful advice would be most appreciated!

It probably one of the two things you posted, if the plate is rusted to the fly wheel tie the dumper to some thing unmoveable press the clutch and start the engine, the plate should separate under the pull load as with out the pressure plate to keep them firmly pressed together.............
    It might be simpler to move the engine to take out the gear box though..............

Post a picture or two for us to see..............
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
      It probably one of the two things you posted, if the plate is rusted to the fly wheel tie the dumper to some thing unmoveable press the clutch and start the engine, the plate should separate under the pull load as with out the pressure plate to keep them firmly pressed together.............
      It might be simpler to move the engine to take out the gear box though..............

Post a picture or two for us to see..............
      Thanks for that...I have tried driving it around with the clutch depressed, but strapping it to something solid sounds like a trick that is worth a try. I guess engaging third gear would help (to maximize the force resisting movement of the drive train).

I took a couple of pics with my phone the other day - unfortunately it is in Scotland & I am not, so I can't take any others right now...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8enrt1uj61...2015.36.51.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yma9aa266...2015.37.00.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_J View Post
        strapping it to something solid sounds like a trick that is worth a try.
        Its certainly freed an odd clutch for me .. and potentially saves the labour of taking it to bits .. sounds a bit brutal but it does work

Welcome to the forum BTW
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Its certainly freed an odd clutch for me .. and potentially saves the labour of taking it to bits .. sounds a bit brutal but it does work

Welcome to the forum BTW
          As you say, worth a try before stripping it down. And thanks for the welcome!

Comment

Working...
          X