Volvo EC15B cuts out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15B cuts out

I had a problem with Doug [my EC15B mini-excavator] yesterday.
    After grading the driveway the engine just stopped....right in the middle of the driveway.
    The engine hadn't overheated as I could touch the radiator quite easily, and the engine was rebuilt only a few months ago.

I think it's an electrical problem, maybe the ECU..? The engine will turn over and fire up briefly every time but won't hold revs...it just dies.
    Furthermore, none of the lights on the 'dashboard' are coming on at all.....you know, the usual ignition lamp, oil warning lamp, hydraulic oil lamp.etc.
    The wipers and heater fan are still operating with the ignition in the usual 'on' position.

The EC15B starting system is pretty good in that the starter motor will not engage if the engine is running [according to the service manual] so I tried holding the ignition key in the starting position - against the spring loaded ignition - the engine fired up and ran as normal until I release the key to it's normal 'on' position.

With the engine running [key held against the spring pressure] the starter motor is not engaged so I dropped the LHS armrest to energise the solenoid that activates the hydraulics.......the engine died even though the key was still held against the spring pressure.

...then it started to rain....

......then our [paying] weekend visitors turned up and had to negotiate around Doug...

...then it rained even more......

...then I had to go home and leave him there all stranded and, well, in the bl**dy way of everything.

Any ideas?

PS. Under the seat is where the electrical relays are there is a black wire from the main loom hanging loose - it has a number on it but it was getting dark and I had no torch......a quick read through the manual suggests that all the wires under there are numbered...I think there was a number on it but won't be able to check it until Monday now.

Could be just a loose ground? Maybe the screw holding it on was loose or stripped, sometimes it's just the simplest things so try that.

Comment

Something will be going to ground ... check round about the fuel pump, its bad for chaffed wires there. It could also be a faulty temperature sender going to ground too soon, ie when the engine isnt hot enough, try disconnecting that. The 'B's dont have an ECU like the earlier models, I'm about to do a bit of fault finding myself as I have one doing the same

I had another recently where the wires to the stop solenoid had chaffed and were shorting .. think I posted about it somewhere ?
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Something will be going to ground ... check round about the fuel pump, its bad for chaffed wires there. It could also be a faulty temperature sender going to ground too soon, ie when the engine isnt hot enough, try disconnecting that. The 'B's dont have an ECU like the earlier models, I'm about to do a bit of fault finding myself as I have one doing the same

I had another recently where the wires to the stop solenoid had chaffed and were shorting .. think I posted about it somewhere ?
        No, much simpler than that - a 5Amp fuse had blown. Quick replacement and Doug chugged away merrily.......
        As for the loose black wire..........." let sleeping dogs lie.."

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
          No, much simpler than that - a 5Amp fuse had blown. Quick replacement and Doug chugged away merrily.......
          As for the loose black wire..........." let sleeping dogs lie.."
          Theres nothing mainframe supplied by a 5 amp fuse on an ec15 maybe want to check your fuse box ratings as they often used to get swapped about.. They all have a loose black wire .. It's meant for the in cab humidor ... Which only the Irish can afford
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Theres nothing mainframe supplied by a 5 amp fuse on an ec15....
            According to the manual there is.....it's the dashboard and engine safety IIRC. I'll post up the relevant page from the manual on Friday when I'm back there....
            Thanks for that tip about the loose black wire.......

Comment

Good to hear it was just a fuse Jack it's nice when it's the simplest thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
                According to the manual there is.....it's the dashboard and engine safety IIRC. I'll post up the relevant page from the manual on Friday when I'm back there....
                Ah ok .. I thought that one was a 10 ?

Comment

Ah ok .. I thought that one was a 10 ?
                  It was a 10A that blew but the manual says it should be a 5A so that's what went back in and Doug worked for a couple hours before putting him away for the week.

Those ECU's are a bit pricey....

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
                    Good to hear it was just a fuse Jack it's nice when it's the simplest thing.
                    ....I'll wager your patented single pole turf digger never blows a fuse...unless you bash yer toes...!!

Comment

No she never skips a beat, and I've been operating them for so long it never touches my toes. That one in particular is my newest machine I think I bought it in 2011 when my now wife and I moved to St. Pierre from the big city.

Comment

Scan from Volvo EC15/EC20 service manual

Volvo EC15B Fuses.jpg

Here is the fuse detail from the service manual.
                        The scanner cuts off the important bits - sorry.
                        The first fuse in the list is FU1, the one that had blown.

Comment

Thats good to know Jack cheers I dont know if any of mine look like that you know theres a separate box to right of the operators seat too ?

Comment

Working...
                          X