No announcement yet.

Safety gear - better late than never!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety gear - better late than never!!

Hi All,

I was recently cutting small stone setts with a 9" Angle grinder c/w diamond stone cutting blade and had a little accident. Can you get protective gear for the legs similar to the kit for chain saws that would be suitable for protection against daimond blades?

I have had a look around but haven't come across anything.

Should be able to .. did you get hit in the legs ? what was the problem, then we might be able to suggest
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi Muz,

Yes, the machine kicked back and hit my leg, no pain.....initially but on checking, a mess - it also "grazed" my other leg. Fortunately my youngest son was home from work and took me to A&E. The Ortho. Consultant said I was VERY lucky, (I already knew that as the leg was still attached and I could feel it!!) missed bone, arteries and just missed main nerve/s. Really nice guy who hails from Iraq; the staff at the hospital all call him "Scud" - honestly!!

Anyway all sewn up now, very lucky boy, 2 foot higher and I could be using the ladies!!!

Cheers,

John

P.S. Contacted the site you mentioned in Manchester re. TB 016/s, only have canopied units in my price range at the moment but stock is always changing; they said they will keep me in mind, thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB View Post
        P.S. Contacted the site you mentioned in Manchester re. TB 016/s, only have canopied units in my price range at the moment but stock is always changing; they said they will keep me in mind, thanks again.
        Ok John keep us posted

Well I hope you get over that one ok, sounds a bit nasty .. I know of a few people who have had accidents like this with grinders and chainsaws. Kick backs from these kinds of tools are a real menace.

These look the ticket

http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/cutte...in-guards.html

But to be honest.. you might need to cover yourself in body armour to be sure of minimising any further accident. Have you considered how you were using the tool could perhaps have been improved ? and help avoid the problem ? .. not trying to teach you the obvious, but I see a lot of people doing daft things like putting their foot on a log to steady it beside a chain saw, and begore you know it, its jumped out of the cut .. etc ... etc... and regardless of your apparent grip, because tool vibration always weakens it.
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Hi Muz,

I "thought" I had, and was taking all reasonable precautions and, I have been doing this for some time now, though that does not mean you are never to old to learn! I tend in general to use my Stihl TS400, but this particular task was cutting in edging setts and felt the smaller 9" would give me better control for the job and again I had already cut probably over a hundred of these.

Whilst in A&E I was trying to work out what went wrong and initially thought I may have shed a tooth on the blade, but on checking the blade and the angle grinder on my return home found they were both in first class condition.

I feel this was an accident and although holding the Angle grinder firmly with both hands the kick back was severe; I would defy any who would have been able to control it.

I will check out your link.

thanks again.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB View Post
            initially thought I may have shed a tooth on the blade, but on checking the blade and the angle grinder on my return home found they were both in first class condition.

I feel this was an accident and although holding the Angle grinder firmly with both hands the kick back was severe; I would defy any who would have been able to control it.

I will check out your link.

thanks again.

John.
            Yes thats the problem , theyre a lot tougher than flesh and bone ,hope you recover ok mate

Comment

Hi Dan, Thanks for the good wishes.

I have just had the stiches removed and was able to see the full extent of the damge, and as I said before, I am a very lucky boy.

They have had to put some further stiches on but I am walking wounded!!

Just as a side issue my next door neighbour, a farmer was telling me his late dad was using a "12" angle grinder lying on his back under his tractor grinding bolt/s off! - Unfortunately he was using the wrong disc; (the disc spindle diameter hole was far larger than the machines spindle) you probably guessed what happened next, the the disc wobbled excessively and shattered, ripping his abdomen open from side to side. Again a lucky boy as someone was with him and he made a full recovery.

Comment

Working...
              X