Volvo EC15B Engine Cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15B Engine Cutting out

My Volvo EC15B mini-digger - 'Doug' - has started to cut out .
    Naturally he's now stuck in a field prone to flooding next to a river . I'd just finished backfilling a hole, took a 10 minute break and then jumped in, fired up - no problem - then he cut out.

THE SYMPTOMS
    1. The engine starts every time but cuts out immediately the key is released from the 'start' position.
    2. The engine runs continuously if the key is held against the ignition spring in the 'start' position, as is mentioned in the workshop manual, but dies as soon as the LH console arm is lowered or if the key is released.
    3. The engine does this regardless of the temperature of the coolant. The engine runs at perfectly normal temperatures since his total engine rebuild nearly a year ago - see this thread if you're interested to to see the insides of a Mitsubishi L3 3 cylinder motor
    4. There is no 4.

Any ideas what may be wrong? I'll trawl through the manual and post up any findings.
    My initial thoughts are that the 'BrainBox' [ECU] has developed a fault. Interestingly, since his engine rebuuld Doug never started first time....well, he did fire up first time but never held the engine running - it would run for about 2 seconds then die. After 3 or 4 attempts of starting he would then hold and run continuously....and be totally fine for the rest of the day.......a bit odd but I lived with it

BTW, I'm just about to overhaul the top end of my LDV Pilot's 1.9litre diesel engine - Cylinder Head gasket etc. If anyone's interested in me posting that project up in P&A just let me know and I'll dust off the old camera.....This particular motor is used in a lot of Peugeot/Citroen cars and vans...very popular but a bit prone to boiling...

LDV Pilot.jpg

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post

BTW, I'm just about to overhaul the top end of my LDV Pilot's 1.9litre diesel engine - Cylinder Head gasket etc. If anyone's interested in me posting that project up in P&A just let me know and I'll dust off the old camera.....This particular motor is used in a lot of Peugeot/Citroen cars and vans...very popular but a bit prone to boiling...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2235[/ATTACH]
    We certainly would be .. you know us ... a good problem resolution makes for a good read

As to your other issue .. its the fuel cut off solenoid not remaining energised when you release the key. Have a look at the base of the key switch and check one of the two spade blocks isnt hanging off, then you need to check a timer relay if its not that, or the solenoid its self IIRC they remain energised for the motor to stay on. Ive seen some that get a sticky spindle which gets bent from constantly pushing against the rack paddle too, worth pulling it off to have a look

And ... finally .. where the hell you been man ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      We certainly would be .. you know us ... a good problem resolution makes for a good read

And ... finally .. where the hell you been man ?
      Thanks Muz, I knew you wouldn't let me down

Me? I finished building my music studio in the summer and basically got down to some serious compositional work - its great fun but very demanding of the 'ole brain and doesn't leave much time for anything else...all consuming and all that ....plus modern day composing/scoring is all computer based so the very last thing I want to do after a 12 hour session is to look at a another computer screen - although I do grab a sneaky look at P&C every now and then as a lurker.

Anyway, I went down to Doug this evening and he, naughtily, started up and ran perfectly. I got him in the garages so will apply your knowledge to his innards tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by jackpreacher View Post
        Thanks Muz, I knew you wouldn't let me down

Me? I finished building my music studio in the summer and basically got down to some serious compositional work - its great fun but very demanding of the 'ole brain and doesn't leave much time for anything else...all consuming and all that ....plus modern day composing/scoring is all computer based so the very last thing I want to do after a 12 hour session is to look at a another computer screen - although I do grab a sneaky look at P&C every now and then as a lurker.

Anyway, I went down to Doug this evening and he, naughtily, started up and ran perfectly. I got him in the garages so will apply your knowledge to his innards tomorrow morning.
        Sounds like Dribbling a bit of shit with us might let the brain slow down to our pace ,then refreshed it could get back to letting the creative juices flow .
        Good to hear from you mate,and i hope Muz's suggestions where to look get you sorted .

Comment

Working...
        X