Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to become an excavator operator

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for some advice on learning to drive an excavator.Instead of going to a driving school,I am planning to rent out a machine for a week and practice in a field near our home.My father was a crane driver by trade but also drove diggers occasionally.He has said he'll try and teach me the basics.Would I be able to learn much in a week in this way?I'm hoping to eventually drive the bigger machines.Would I be better off learning on a mini digger first?What I mean is do you operate a mini digger and the bigger machines in the same way?If I was able to operate a mini digger efficiently,would I then be able to make the move fairly easily to the bigger machines?Or are they completely different in the way you operate them?I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

I've thought some and in the process of teaching my son, but just at the present I'm unwinding after a long long stressful week and my thought process are some what dulled by the amber drink my wife is giving me at the moment. I will reply when I can coherently string some lucid thoughts together.

Stock
    A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Learning to be a machine operator is not something you will become over night. I can teach you to operate the levers with a great deal of skill given the time. What I can't teach you is experience. I have nearly 30 years under my belt Ian has something similar; Bert has at least 10years and Muz isn't saying. Knowing where and how to start a job how to set up the work site, how to dig etc only comes with time.
      The best way I have found to teach a young lad how to operate the controls of a machine is to give you a football or two and let you off to pick it up with a toothed bucket. It teaches you how to float a bucket flat along the ground. This is a skill that all other operations on a 360 are based around.
      It also teaches you how to have a soft touch with the bucket. If you can float a bucket flat along the ground you can grade stone pull a foundation etc. As for the rest of it well there is a certain amount of hand to eye coordination, judgement of terrain and to be honest a flare for the job.
      Hire your machine get your footballs and at least become competent and coordinated it the operation of the machine, study your questions and do your ticket. Then me lad it down to seat time..............

Comment

Can't really add much more to what Stock said .When you dig ,don't be greedy and try and get the trench down to depth in one bite. take it down in layers that the machine will handle and fill the bucket with each time .
        My main tip is always have atleast two actions happening at the same time.This gives an ongoing flow .
        If you do one action at a time you end up with a very jerky action .

Comment

Hi MC1

I have only recently purchased a one and a half tonner mini digger and it is small fry to the pros. on this very friendly and helpful forum.

I would whole heartily agree with all the advice given. I found practicing in an area clear of people and buildings gave me a comfort in knowing when, not if, I make a mistake I am not going to hurt someone or something. I also found practicing frequently made things stick better in the grey matter and after a while was using the controls with some confidence.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by MC1 View Post
            Hey guys,
            I'm looking for some advice.....Would I be better off learning on a mini digger first?What I mean is do you operate a mini digger and the bigger machines in the same way?
            Actually .. the tonne and a half size machines are probably amongst the hardest to operate smoothly. Newer machines of today are a big improvement, but the balance of those machines of the past, without expanding tracks, are a skill to learn in its self, so, if you can work one of them smoothly, you'll find the larger ones much easier

Originally posted by Stock View Post
            Muz isn't saying.
            Well my first experience would be on a 'piano bar' Ford 4550 if that helps ye fella ( If I remember right .. it has been a long time )
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
              Actually ..
              Well my first experience would be on a 'piano bar' Ford 4550 if that helps ye fella ( If I remember right .. it has been a long time )

Mine was an MF 30 with the space frame backhoe ..............

Something on the lines of this........................

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys.I appreciate it.I had my first go at operating a 3 tonne the other day.Was very enjoyableCan be very jumpy at times though. Didn't get to operate it for too long but when I get my own out,I'll certainly take on your advice about practicing with footballs Stock.So if I were to get confident at operating the controls,and then get my ticket,I just to have to hope someone will be willing to take me on with very little experience?If I was to go on site on my first job,even if I was competent with the controls,would it be obvious early on that I hadn't much experience?

Comment

So you become competent at using the controls, do you know how to step a foundation, what to look for when digging around services. What to watch out for when digging a foundation, and then how do you dig a corner. Then how do you load a dumper, when or where do you set up to dig your trench etc and on top of all of that your construction technology.....................

Comment

Stock is right, your better starting on the old hand shovel and learning what the guys on the ground do first so when you do get in a machine you know how much to do and how to do it!! It give you a view of the other side of the site work! Basically what I am saying work your way from the ground up! It will make you a better all round op.

Comment

Thanks men.Again,I appreciate your advice.Yes,Wee Jim,with no experience in this area at all,I think I'd be better off trying to get a labouring position first.When I rent my machine,what are the main things I should be looking to practice?I will certainly practice picking up footballs as Stock advised earlier.But what else can I do to ensure I make the most of it.Just dig trenches and backfill them?Clearly I have alot to learn but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Comment

Working...
                      X