Greasing an old 801

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasing an old 801

Pardon my ignorance but .... I've been greasing my old 801 ( pre 1980 I think ) and whilst the nipples around all the pins rams and bushes are easy I'm not sure how to grease the undercarriage. There is the nipple accessed via a hole on the side of the body which I thought did the slew ring. Does that point fire grease throughout the undercarriage or are there other greasing points I just cant find ?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Don't know about that particular machine ,But usually undercarriage on excavators does not get greased .
    Only grease point would be to adjust the slack in the track ,if the machine was fitted with that type of adjuster .

Comment

Does your jib mover from side to side via a foot pedal as they nipple may be the digger end of the ram like mine. My undercarriage gets greased from a nipple on the slew ring usually located front left corner of the machine. Grease it then slew quarter a turn and grease again and repeat till your back at start.

Comment

No Jim its even older than old !! no foot pedal just a heal rocker that switches the 2 main lever operations. I did the slew as suggested and it seems fine. Track tension is a manual adjuster not greased. Apart from one track being slower than the other ... but only in reverse .. the old girl is healthy for her age. I was just concerned that I was neglecting something in general greasing. I'll have another root around the front, thanks.

Comment

I have an 801, and in the handbook it says basically what wee Jim said about giving a few squirts in and then turning 180 and a further few squirts. If yours is the same as mine there are 2 nipples on the right hand side (looking forward) one does the end of the boom slew ram, the other the main slew ring. The hydraulic oil lubricates some parts of the gear, although can't remember what. The newer machines dropped that idea.

Comment

just re read your post about the track being slower on one side. I had a similar problem which was cured by a whole combination of things. There is another post about this, although in short, I found the cross shaft that the levers operate on was partially seized so not getting full lever travel, also all the track rollers were totally goosed. The front sprocket on one side was so seized that it could only just be turned with a big bar. Muz didn't think this was an issue however, although as I did all these fixes at the same time I images.jpegcan't say for sure what really sorted it out. The picture isn't of mine, although is of the same type, maybe yours is older? The grease nipples are visible in the yellow part of the frame, right at the centre bottom of the picture.

Comment

thanks 801, mine is older than yours with all levers being floor mounted. There is one grease nipple in a similar position to those in your photo with a pipe running from the outside to somewhere in the inners of the machine. The track is only slow in reverse and Ive been advised it may be due to poor adjustment or something sticking in the movement of the lever operated valves. As long as it keeps going I'll probably just live with it, at least until the current job is done.

Comment

Working...
              X