Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volvo EC15 not running right.

Ok, here is my problem.
    The machine was working fine and went to switch it off, it revved up, wouldn't switch off and black smoke was coming out the exhaust, had to cut off the fuel.
    When we started it again to get it home, it didn't rev up but was still black smoke and had to cut off the fuel.
    We had the injectors tested by a local mechanic (I live in Bulgaria by the way) and he said they were fine. Put them back in and still the black smoke, but it turned off by the key. He said its got to be the IP but he has never seen one like that, then did one.!
    After having the pump out and making sure everything is clean, when we were bleeding the air out, we noticed that if we didn't tighten one delivery valve right up (the right hand one as you look at them) the black smoke stopped but no fuel was getting to the injector. With some very fine turns on the delivery valve, we managed to stop the smoke and get fuel to the injector,everything seemed fine. As it was now dark, I said I would try it in the garden in the morn. As soon as I turned it over you could tell it was back running on 2 cylinders. We havn't been able to get it right since.

Originally posted by Derek View Post
    Ok, here is my problem.
    The machine was working fine and went to switch it off, it revved up, wouldn't switch off and black smoke was coming out the exhaust, had to cut off the fuel.
    When we started it again to get it home, it didn't rev up but was still black smoke and had to cut off the fuel.
    We had the injectors tested by a local mechanic (I live in Bulgaria by the way) and he said they were fine. Put them back in and still the black smoke, but it turned off by the key. He said its got to be the IP but he has never seen one like that, then did one.!
    After having the pump out and making sure everything is clean, when we were bleeding the air out, we noticed that if we didn't tighten one delivery valve right up (the right hand one as you look at them) the black smoke stopped but no fuel was getting to the injector. With some very fine turns on the delivery valve, we managed to stop the smoke and get fuel to the injector,everything seemed fine. As it was now dark, I said I would try it in the garden in the morn. As soon as I turned it over you could tell it was back running on 2 cylinders. We havn't been able to get it right since.
    It it sounds like your problem lies in the pump, the fuel delivery valves are all aligned in the pump housing and when the delivery nossles are tightened all are held in place correctly, when undoing the nossles the valves may move give one cylinder more or less fuel, therefore when the rack tries to turn off the fuel one cylinder will be injecting excess fuel hence the running on and black smoke.

Mick

Comment

Thanks Mick. Is there a way off re-aligning the valves etc, we are having another "go" at it an a short while.
      The problem we have, is we don't have a manual, and the only one I can find online is very vague, with few diagrams. Also the mechanics here seem to know jack s*"t,

Comment

The pumping members are plungers that are pushed up by cam lobes on a shaft rotating below each pump section. The shaft is timed, so you can remove the pump without fear of up setting any timing. What will affect performance, is how far up each pumping member is pushed. Volvo used to use some shims IIRC that adjusted this distance, so as to deliver the correct volume. Other problems, (and this is what I think you have) are that, the relationship between the bottom of the pumping member and the cam is critical. Excessive wear on the cam, or the pumping member not running correctly on it (which causes excessive wear) will throw out the fuel delivery, and lead to the problems you explain. You need to lift out the pump, and closely inspect it for wear on the rollers on the bottom of each section, then inspect the lobes on the cam shaft for wear, and specifically 'tracking' marks on the lobes
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Ok, thanks Muz. will have a look Monday morn.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
            The pumping members are plungers that are pushed up by cam lobes on a shaft rotating below each pump section. The shaft is timed, so you can remove the pump without fear of up setting any timing. What will affect performance, is how far up each pumping member is pushed. Volvo used to use some shims IIRC that adjusted this distance, so as to deliver the correct volume. Other problems, (and this is what I think you have) are that, the relationship between the bottom of the pumping member and the cam is critical. Excessive wear on the cam, or the pumping member not running correctly on it (which causes excessive wear) will throw out the fuel delivery, and lead to the problems you explain. You need to lift out the pump, and closely inspect it for wear on the rollers on the bottom of each section, then inspect the lobes on the cam shaft for wear, and specifically 'tracking' marks on the lobes
            The points that Muz has raised are all important to check for correct fuel injection on all three cylinders, I have found in the past that on closer inspection, the pump delivery valve timing may move after the delivery nozzles are loosened, this would cause one pump section to deliver to much fuel when idling, and when shut off could still inject on one cylinder. The way I would check this is after removing the pump from the engine,is to carefully remove the delivery nozzles, check that when moving the rack all three elements rotate the same distance clockwise and anti clock wise, on this engine you would need remove the stop solenoid, and through the plate on the side of the engine remove the throttle spring, some photographs when the pump is out would give some i site

Comment

Hi again, sorry been busy and had lots of rain. Just took the IP pump out. The delivery nozzles and valves out. When I move the control rack, the elements that rotate, the number one isn't rotating and the control rack sometimes seems to catch on something. Everything else seems fine.

Comment

Hi again, sorry been busy and had lots of rain. Just took the IP pump out. The delivery nozzles and valves out. When I move the control rack, the elements that rotate, the number one isn't rotating and the control rack sometimes seems to catch on something. Everything else seems fine.
                Hi Derek, as I thought the elements may be damaged if they don't turn when the rack is moved, but in some previous cases I have noticed that if the elements are not held in a central position within the pump they may not catch the rack at all, the other problem is that the rack may be bent at number one and that is why it sometimes catches, Mick

Comment

Ok thanks. I was going to remove the two screws from the front of the pump, to take a look, but I couldn't remove one of them and don't have the tools to. But I have managed to locate someone who has worked on one of these pumps before. He has it now and will take a look at it today, so fingers crossed. Don't fancy paying out over £700.

Comment

Ok thanks. I was going to remove the two screws from the front of the pump, to take a look, but I couldn't remove one of them and don't have the tools to. But I have managed to locate someone who has worked on one of these pumps before. He has it now and will take a look at it today, so fingers crossed. Don't fancy paying out over £700.
                    Yeh hi Derek, hopefully it is salvageable, they normally take a bit of work, and time but as long as no major damage all should be good, give us an update mick

Comment

Ok guys, got the pump back tues, fitted it yesterday, and everything is fine once again. The guy said that the No.1 element had worn and was not catching the control rack, cost me around 33 quid, well chuffed. Thanks for your input and pointing me in the right direction. Just need this damn rain to go away now.

Comment

Ok guys, got the pump back tues, fitted it yesterday, and everything is fine once again. The guy said that the No.1 element had worn and was not catching the control rack, cost me around 33 quid, well chuffed. Thanks for your input and pointing me in the right direction. Just need this damn rain to go away now.
                        Hi Derek, glad to hear it, I've ordered the rain off for Saturday, good luck, Mick

Comment

Working...
                        X