No announcement yet.

JCB 801 slew problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I look all around the slew ring and no sign of a grub screw. Its hard to see where the original grease line would have ran.

Comment

Some units are 'sealed' My volvo EC 15's only have a grease point to grease the tooth flank .. there isn't a greaser for the bearing its self. If there is a grub screw, it may well be filled with dirt and hard to spot
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

To close out, I eventually found the grub screw on the slew ring or more accurately the hole where the grub screw should have been. It was filled with muck but once clean was too small to take a standard grease nipple.
        I decided to take up the floor and investigate what remained of the original grease line. After scraping away years of muck and dirt I discovered that not only had the previous owner damaged the original grease line, they had been kind enough to remove it entirely allowing years of dirt directly into the slew ring bearing.

Using a combination of small screw drivers, wire and an air compressor I managed to get it cleaned out and put a grease nipple where the line would have been. The slew ring bearing now has grease for the first time in a minimum of 10 years I would estimate.

On a brighter note one of the knobs for the track levers had been missing when I bought the digger. I managed to find it resting on the under carraige when looking around. How it ended up there and then how it managed to stay there is a mystery.

Comment

A good result

Did you grease the slew pinion and ring and if so did you use the special bitumen containing grease or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by cartonj View Post
            On a brighter note one of the knobs for the track levers had been missing when I bought the digger. I managed to find it resting on the under carraige when looking around. How it ended up there and then how it managed to stay there is a mystery.
            Maybe you dislodged it whilst cleaning ? ... Ive had quite a few surprises when lifting floor plates Havent found any missing millions planked there by a customer yet though .. Least you got sorted and thanks for coming back to let us know dude
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
              A good result

Did you grease the slew pinion and ring and if so did you use the special bitumen containing grease or something else?
              If thats Ebony stuff you mean ? .. I'd avoid it and stick to M2 moly . Ebony or what ever its called now is good for breaker chisels though

Comment

According to my JCB service manual it's the stuff to use but it's a carcinogen

I need to do my recently acquired 803, but not managed to find a source of what JCB recommend, and not too keen on it anyway !

Comment

I greased the slew ring bearing with general multi purpose grease. Will do fine for my non intensive use.

Comment

Back again guys,

Can anyone advise if the old JCB 801 have a slew brake. Slewing and stopping the rotation on a slope/incline is difficult with my machine.

Cheers

Comment

http://www.plantandconstruction.co.u...hink-the-worst
                      Try having a read on this thread, post 4.
                      Mine used to slew round on it's own on a slope, this adjustment made one hell of a difference.

Comment

That's great, I'll the valves a tweak and see what happens.

Comment

Slew Problem JCB 801

Hi, I have noticed some past threads regarding slewing an old JCB 801. I have the same problem. The machine has started to only slew to the right. I have attached pictures and any help would be most grateful. Terry
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X