Druidic exploits of a various nature!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
    Then watch the H & S boys and building control go into melt down.............................................. ......................................
    Oh Yeh
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
      Yep took a grinder to a roofing sheet a while back .. and eveyone retired about half a mile fecking idiots
      done me share of Big Six trimming in me time ..... too long ago to worry about now ... never thought twice back then
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• we got the promised sunshine today ... melted the 4 degrees of frost a treat first thing .. then gave us a stunning sky when it disappeared ...

more on the rest of the day's antics tomorrow .. I'm off to me pit

Comment

• LOL Wazza has a shed . It is great for storing the sons and daughters crap in. The inlaws love it too .

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
            Yep took a grinder to a roofing sheet a while back .. and eveyone retired about half a mile fecking idiots
            Breathe deep!

Comment

• Originally posted by ianoz View Post
              LOL Wazza has a shed . It is great for storing the sons and daughters crap in. The inlaws love it too .
              LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
                Breathe deep!
                Ideally before the disc touches the sheet

Comment

• On the ABS subject ... and other's edumacation ..

's what the hole is 'sposed to look like ... not full of twenty+ years of crap .. and sensor ...

this then goes in first ...

copper gripper cage ...

followed by

a stainless steel bodied Hall Effect sensor

all the way in .... an' out t'tother side to sit ultra close to the drive shaft rotor

plenty of 'float' in that and they start life packed in silicon grease in their housings, with a rubber sleeve seal to keep the tish out .... from t'other end at least
                  this end doesn't fare so well
                  greasing these will be a service item in future ... regularly !!

was another white start to the day ...

managed to part the swivel carrier off her saturday ....

.....after persuading the damned sensor out and then battling the drive shaft and hub bearing carrier out of the swivel carrier casting/forging ... ball tapers behaved as expected VFT ... and took some thrashing to pop ....
                  cutting the nylock sections off the nuts first helped a lot ...
                  ....and had clean threads to run them off on

carrier got a bloody good descaling and clean up yesterday morning, before turning my attention to the split collet adjuster, which's had a LOT of WD applied to it the last few days ...... clamped to the bench and some gentle rust cracking tapping first ...... and out the damned thing came .. sweet as !!!

good clean with the thread file and a lot of titivating, it was ready to return to its post

Saturday's 'antics' were fairly fraught ... after the carrier surrendered ...

those joints were not coming out without a serious fight
                  top first, to get some space to get at the bottom one .....

came out well ... bottom one was a bit more of a battle ... but got there ...

sockets were again in remarkable condition considering the state of everything else around them

on a roll ....... bottom one in first ...... er ... well we tried .... but yon tool was struggling with applying sufficient pressure and 'groaning' ...

took it off having got the joint half way in and had a look at it

don't know if you can see that clearly .. but ... the spindle is M28x3.5mm .... the above is bored to 26.3 mm which is the tapping size for M30 x 3.5 mil. !! so spindle thread is only bearing on a bare 0.75 mil instead of the full 1.75 mm ... it didn't feel right as I was starting to give it some
                  words will be had with the suppliers ... an Acme would've been nice, but if it'd been machined right, it should still have performed

so .... plan B ..... deploy a MORE substantial (and properly made) clamp to the task

it went in, with some grunt
                  top one went in with a lot less effort than i would've liked to have had to employ

Hmm ... all measured out at spec. ??? and were pairs ... some googling revealed last night that it's not unheard of .... summat to do with LR's machining skills and their tolerances being some what hap hazard

were it a conventional joint i'd not have been over concerned, but this one floats ... up/down by a good 6mm to facilitate adjusting the lower fixed/conventional joint to align the drive shaft in the centre of the axle tube (as said, before) .... and probably allow for their crap tolerances again ... so it was gonna need some druidising today ... for my peace of mind
                  ........ and it got it ...

chances of me having to do this again are slender ..... but it'll cut out fine, if i have to ... couple of decent stitches and i'm much happier about it .

was all ready to go back together today ...... new oil seal installed in the axle tube, all cleaned, polished, lubed, de-scaled, new track rod and drag link measured and set to previous centres, everything prepped for a re-assembly of the old girl and get her back on her wheels ready for her MOT

Sunday's sunset did not disappoint either ...... had been a glorious day ......

and as a plus point ... whilst I'd spent the most of the day on the bench sorting and prepping it all ... Pam had voluntarily washed, polished and hoovered the old girl
                  hasn't looked so good in ages ....... even if she is currently missing a few wheels and some vital components

Comment

• I too was in need of a good wash and polish, by the time i got locked up and inside ...... I've mentioned this stuff before and thought i'd take a pic, whilst it was out ........ best hand cleaner I have EVER used ... takes yer dannys from black to pink in one easy hit ...

it really is the utter ballaux

anything that shifts carbon black off yer hands after handling oiled steel all day is worthy of praise .... have used it for donkey's years .... after trying/using all sorts of other well known, reputable stuff ... I have yet to beat it and you need so little of it, a tub lasts for ever

someone on a n other forum tells me that they've stopped selling this stuff and I would say BUGGER !! ................ but having had a shufty this afters .... and found three full tubs .... I am pleased to say ..."Im alright jack" ... for the foreseeable anyway

'Nother glorious day ..... with an equally great end to it

been a very productive day

near side ready for the big black round thing .... once i'd got the drag link installed

O/side sensor ...

the tube of sili grease in the first pic - supplied per side - was about 1/5th full ... tight bar stewards .... will get some more and really stuff these full ASAP

off side ready for a wheel

run up, pumped up and ABS lights all out

as can be seen .... was a tad cool this afters, in spite of the sun shine

a run up the drive and parked ready for an appointment booking tomorrow hopefully

followed by a major tidy up, tool cleaning session ... and a well earned coffee

we've had Clara since 7.45 this morning .... nursery finishes at 12 on a Monday, so she's been up with me a lot, on/off this afternoon ..... including under the car LOL ...
                    think Pam took some pix

Make a mechanic of her yet

Comment

• Was seriously white here at half seven this morning ...

Vicki had four goes at the drive, getting back out, heading for work, after dropping Clara .Might go rob the salt/grit bin up the road tomorrow if it's the same again tonight !!!

MOT booked first thing ... Passed at 15.00 with flying colours ... test man said i only wanted/needed you to change the rubber boots ... yeh right mate ... he's good as gold TBH ..... think he was pulling me leg ...... 'specially when he asked if they'd been much of a job ...... checked the tracking .... absolutely BANG on .... said he couldn't have done better with the laser gauges ... very happy with that

Sodding great pothole on the A465 on the way home managed to bring an ABS/traction control light on on the dash .... sensor must've moved ... quick look in the a.m., but reset itself with an off/on of the ignition, so can't be a lot

finished me first week of treatment tab.s last night ... onto box/week two this morning .... seems OK 90% of the time, now, aside from an iffy head after the night time ones.

re the potholed road ...... there's bloody miles of it ... been at it years and are circa a year behind, spent millions on a lot of un-necessary BS bits and caused chaos in the process

first time in the last half a dozen trips along there that i actually saw a machine working today

https://gov.wales/a465-gilwern-brynmawr-overview

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-42138747

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...-a465-15373924

almost all of the elevated sections in the right of the video have been in filled/built up !!!!!!! the L/h lane is the original level of what was a 3 lane road

Comment

• weather back to normal here today .... can't see further than the end of the lawn ... but at least it's just damp not pissing down .... but means everything you put down or touch is damp too !!

ran the genny up this morning to power the plasma, belt grinder (with a nice new 36 grit belt) and the band saw.
                        intent on doing something other than grovel under the P38 and that i enjoy ....

this got started before crimbo ...

corners trimmed and then reset it for 'ron' ...

'fraid i forgot to get any plasma pix ...
                        but basically trimmed this up and some extra bits for attaching to it .....

looks a bit tidier with the sharps off it
                        then it got boss-ed up

and finally a coat of shiny tish, 'fore heading in for a late tea ... Pam's circuits night on a Wednesday, so always late eating, when she gets home after 'em.

die grinder and a flap wheel shines up the pin holes nicely
                        Was nice to have the evening so light last night .. drawing out nicely ... pity tonight wasn't the same ... had to lug this inside onto a bench in me box ... heavy enough too

next bit tomorrow .... got plasma-ed this morning ... and ground up on the belt ... assembly time if it doesn't pee down

Comment

• Well yesterday was a total write off ... RAF day .... did sod all, other than take Clara to nursery for nine, picked her up at three fifteen and some grand dadding 'til half five .... She makes me smile, even when I'm feeling ropey .. sits in her seat in the back of the P38 with a map book on her lap feeding me directions ... as in "yellow road Grand dad, silver next, red one soon " ... God knows what page she's one ?? LOL

Anyway .. better day today .... the adapter got a second coat first thing, while the fog cleared - a bit, 'fore I got the gear out ..

slit this tube first and lopped a bit of 80 x 8 for a spreader fillet/stiffening rib ...

then got a few more bits out .. and set 'em up ...

after i'd extracted the 80 mm pin from the SEC and cleaned its grease off it ..

tacked it all up a bit ...

and added a few more bits ... stiffened them up ... and set about sequentially welding it all up

can always tell when I'm 'at it' by the size of the slag lumps

spent some time de-spattering it and tidying everything away, before de-camping indoors, as it was trying hard to rain, for a coat of shiny tish ...

Firwoods Bitter Choccy Brown .... great paint .. needs no undercoat and dries bloody fast .... matches the 'Drema's brown very well too

managed a second coat before packing in for tea and left it sat on't bench with its mate, the adapter.

see they're forecasting rain tomorrow afternoon ..... with an horrendous day for Sunday ...
                          see if I can give this one a try out in the a.m., before it persists down 'praps

would've loved to have MIG-ed this up ... but a tad too breezy to trust the gas shield ... with some impossible locations to grind any porosity back out !!

Comment

• wasn't the greatest of days yesterday ... weather-wise, foggy as **** and drizzling / light rain most of the day ...
                            really wanted to see how the other mount suited though ... so 'twas a grin and bear it day!!

choice of two Kins yesterday morning ..

... and opted for the 4.5 tonner ...

t'other one's very similar, just a bigger base and also has two base outlet ports to suit an HPX ... but only a 4t cap.

Lugged the bits out onto the bench ...

and discovered I was going to need a spacer plate to raise the FF QCs off the top plate .... fortunately I had one already knocked out from a previous use ...
                            will cut the odd side off it next time the band-saw is plugged in

got it all bolted up and then swung the Miller over it to couple up to its lift eye ... easy way of hanging a Kins

then 'twas time to plumb it all up ... easy off the bench to reach the dipper QCs
                            and change over valves for the crowd circuit ... then hung it over the SEC to get a pin into it

hangs real nice with the jaws open to nigh on meeting ..... get past the closed point and it starts to hang a tad odd, with now't in the jaws .... but'd be fine gripping summat ....

centre hanging line is nicely in line with the rotater, hanging pin and jaw tips!

makes for another useful tool in the arsenal ... sort some 50mm pins and sleeves ... don't think what I had made a while back will work ... bit too long ... and it'll go under the VA-r too

Comment

• 'evening all ...... been MIA a while
                              'tis a loooooooooong story

My disappearance kicked off with a routine visit to the Heath hospital on the 31st for my 6 monthly Ultra Sound scan.

started off fine at 11 o'clock .... by 11.20 I'm in excruciating agony being rushed through hospital corridors to A&E , after they'd pissed my pancreas off, with full blown, shoot me now, pancreatitis - AGAIN - puking my heart out !!!

was gone midnight 'fore I'd been shifted to a ward, bed and been given summat better than a couple of paracetamol for the pain

Unfortunately (but as usual) I'd gone down to Cardiff on me own ... had had to ring Pam .. tell her the bad news - like don't wait up - and get her and Vicki to come and get the car out the 4hr stay car park

several days of morphine induced stupor followed, as me pancreas calmed down a bit and I got weened back onto more conventional painkillers. Managed to persuade 'em after a week or so that I had enough of what they were giving me, at home, to 'self manage' the pain and they finally let me go

just about on top of the pancreas, for now, but me spleen has been a major problem, not getting treated for the gaucher's cells, it's been accumulating, since the 31st -
                              me consultant had been down to A&E to see me and said stop taking the new pills ... too many unknown factors in play .. so been urgently awaiting a new hamster juice delivery to disperse the accumulations ... arrived tues. morning, lunchtime-ish and it'd barely touched down 'fore it was mixed and plugged into me arm - spleen is feeling better for it !
                              Have spent the last few days since i've been home trying to get me digestive system re-interested in food, little by little, ease off the tramadol cocktails, catch up on a lot of sleep - they woke you every hour down there for some bloody test / observations / whatever -- was in the CT scanner one morning at 05.00 ... even the radiologists said it was bloody early

combine the double whammy above with the fact i've not had a fag in 15+ days and my system is doing cold turkey on that front too ...... it's been a bloody rough 2 weeks

just waiting now for the 80 quid fine/bill from Parking Eye for the car park at the hospital, to top the whole pile of shite off

Gonna take me months to get me back to where i was, pre U/S scan fk up .... At least I could manage to keep on top of it all myself at home

getting home is the best bit ... own food to try and get excited by .... being in the local hospital in 2010 was bad enough ... the Heath's 40+ miles away and had no idea of my way around it ?? ... 'least I know the local one inside out, having done a lot of work there over the years

most annoying bit is neither me or my consultant now has any idea about the new tab.s regime ..... they'm abandoned for now, anyway

couldn't put anything up from me hospital bed - - too wacked out /off me face and no 'net on me phone .... old faithful's steam power is my only portal into the ether

didn't expect any repeat performances of 2010, as I do me best to maintain the 'status quo' for the ol' bod and have learnt what does and how not to, piss it off
                              I'm pretty sure the U/S guy caused this, but until i have a chance to sit down with me consultant for a proper discussion about the 'new pills' , I can't completely rule them out ....... BUT .... I was fine/fit as, when i walked into the hospital, fifteen minutes 'fore getting pole-axed

Comment

• "never rains but it pours" ........
                                had my stepdaughter on the phone last Wednesday afternoon .... from the side of the road 'bout 10 miles away ....
                                some pr*ck, going way too fast, had just failed to overtake them on a dual carriage way, hit their rear O/s corner, spun them, rolled himself, written both vehicles off and completely fkd their afternoon out at the local play farm' with Clara
                                all emergency services in attendance and he will hopefully get done for 'due care .. ' , if not 'dangerous driving' ... w***er !!

She saw him coming and had already decided in her mind he was not going to make it, so was at least ready for it
                                ..... had to dash off out to see 'em and placate a fretting mother / granny

was a long afternoon ....... got home about ten .
                                everyone ok thankfully .... Clara fine, if not a little quiet ... Vicki bruised where her belt held her and her right leg took a knock against her door...

Vicki driving in N/S lane at circa 55 mph .... saw this guy coming, over taking two behind her, going like hell, then came back in ....
                                HTF he could not see a bright red car is beyond me ... either nodded off or was pi**ing about with radio perhaps, but just plowed into her off side rear corner .... pushed them off the road onto a (fortunately) wide verge and start of a lay by and they spun when their N/S wheels caught the lay by's kerb .... very lucky not to roll.... Think the road sign they demolished kept 'em the right way up

His Focus N/S front quarter is absolutely decimated .. wheel back under door ... all his air bags went off

WP_20200219_20_21_44_Pro.jpg

shit pix ... will get some off Vicki she took in the daylight .....
                                had to go back out there half eight later that night to meet the recovery guys, collecting her car ...

WP_20200219_20_26_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20200219_20_38_41_Pro.jpg

recovery guy looked at it and reckoned he'd been doing at least 40mph more than Vicki .... again, I'll get some daylight pix.
                                her little Skoda Roomster gave a good account of itself really ... pretty solid compared to the devastation of the Focus....
                                rear seats in hers are all independent sub-framed, removable/reversible, bloody solid units, locked to the floor and without doubt saved Clara's position in her child seat ... a conventional bulkhead and seat squab would've folded for sure

Very bloody annoying as her little car was immaculate, low miles and one previous lady owner ... not long passed its test ... wasn't a mark on it and drove like a watch
                                gonna take some replacing ....... and of course the insurers are trying to take the piss already

Vicki and Clara have been in for med. checks following day and all seems OK, apart from a lot of bruises - we shall see how they go .. Chris seems fine, other than absolutely livid .... plod intent on a prosecution by the sounds of it and plenty of eye witnesses to the whole incident ...... focus driver 22 and had been at the wheel a couple of hours previous, driving down the country

could have been a hell of a lot worse and they all walked from it

TBF to Vicki's insurers ... they've been seriously on the ball this week ... numpty's insurers have put their hands in the air and admitted liability .. so we've been off to collect a hire car for her friday afternoon, 'til their assessor gets to hers and a proper valuation can be agreed next week ....

then we had to find her a new motor

said she found this quite claustrophobic after the 'panoramic' views from her Roomster ...

WP_20200221_16_02_43_Pro.jpg

going to struggle to find another one ... not been made since 2013 and are pretty thin on the ground anyway ...... was gonna be lots of net trawling coming up !!!!!

..... just got some daylight pix off Vicki ..

87015515_1402382573283170_3064738360045076480_n.jpg 87037670_536914350592651_4612479320361795584_n.jpg 87289161_189938785679797_8663758525698146304_n.jpg 87263493_1115243282150421_8315996741727944704_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X