No announcement yet.

Druidic exploits of a various nature!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well all the trims are painted and on ....... on the back end !!

Side barges off, painted and re-fitted ......

......on both sides. Front barges came off, got painted and refitted with all the trims....

Just got 48 more trims to paint and fit, down the sides and the structure’s finito!!

Usual story, leave the door open, a warm seat and ........... he’s in it like Flyn....

Forecast for tomorrow is dry again and a lot less wind, than we’ve had today. Would not have been a good day for handling metre cover sheets today!!!!!

So ........ fingers crossed, it might just have a roof on tomorrow night!! The trims can wait and I can get at them OK afterwards.
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Is that a mug of tea on the pallet , Doing it hard up there . LOL

Comment

• Looks good Graeme and love the seat heater.

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
        Well all the trims are painted and on ....... on the back end !!

Side barges off, painted and re-fitted ......

......on both sides. Front barges came off, got painted and refitted with all the trims....

Just got 48 more trims to paint and fit, down the sides and the structure’s finito!!

Usual story, leave the door open, a warm seat and ........... he’s in it like Flyn....

Forecast for tomorrow is dry again and a lot less wind, than we’ve had today. Would not have been a good day for handling metre cover sheets today!!!!!

So ........ fingers crossed, it might just have a roof on tomorrow night!! The trims can wait and I can get at them OK afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by ianoz View Post
          Is that a mug of tea on the pallet , Doing it hard up there . LOL
          TEA!!!! YUK!! ......... makes me puke ..... can't drink it Ian - coffee or now't
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
            Looks good Graeme and love the seat heater.
            Cheers Bert ..... I'm no sooner out the seat and he's in it ........ he's become so blasé around the 'Drema that I have to have him in the cab half the time, so I know where the lil' bugger is ........he was sat on a pallet today, watching the forks, inches from his nose, as I slipped 'em under him ..... thought he was going to stay on there, when I picked it up, but he hopped off, just before it moved!!

Comment

• Very slow progress today I’m afraid ....... wasted two hours of my life this morning having a ‘barney’ with Yodel !!

Who in their right minds uses these tossers these days?? Thought they’d gone tits up anyway???

Been waiting for a new battery for Pam’s laptop – ‘sposed to have been here Tuesday!
              Got a tracking number off the sender/seller this morning only to find it marked as delivered at 13.20 - yesterday!!
              WTF??????

Yodel’s help ‘chat line’ was ****ing useless, as was the retard I was trying to have a conversation with – ‘til the ba**ard cut me off!!!

Seller had no more luck than I did, so he’s sending me out a new one – hopefully not with Yodel!!!!!!

The most annoying thing is they tell me that as ‘I’ signed ‘as delivered’ that was that!!!
              I’ve not seen sight of the driver yesterday and I was outside all day, so WTF signed for it and where, is still a total mystery – and one they won’t even discuss – or provide a copy signature of ....... cos they ain’t got one!!

On Wednesday they delivered another ‘signed for’ package, by stuffing it through the cat flap and burgered off up the drive, before I even got to the door to see WTF the cat was trying to drag through the flap, this time!!?? Didn’t bother to ring the sodding great bell beside the door!!!!

I was bloody livid this morning ..... I’d have wrung Dominic’s cocky neck for him, if I could’ve gotten hold of him – precocious lil’ shit!!

So, I wasn’t in the best frame of mind, when I eventually got outside to drag all the gear out for a roofing session!!

Brass monkeys and a ‘tad’ on the blowy side it was too – a bit too blowy really !!

Lifted the cladding pack out the trailer, where it’s been for weeks now and split it, ready to chuck a few sheets in the general direction of where I wanted ‘em

They were pretty damned heavy for small sheets and I had to have some serious considerations as to whether I was gonna manage this on me own, as Pam’s out ‘til 2.30 on a Friday ???
              The considered opinion was NO!!

Handling ‘em and getting ‘em into spot – YES, but then I was going to need help, especially with the first one, to get it just where it needed to be ...... and keep it there, long enough to get a few fixings in the bugger.!!

So ...... lunch was had in readiness for the boss’s return and the prospect of a second pair of hands.
              Pleasantly interrupted by one of my neighbours, who’s missus I’d been talking to Tuesday, trying to persuade her they needed some soil to re-profile the field beside the driveway, before it disappears into said field, virtually the full length = a lot of spoil....sorry I mean soil!!
              Anyway, just sat down and Chris turns up in his truck, breath in hand as usual – “can’t stop ...... in a hurry “ (as always) “Ellie tells me you got some spare fill. How much you got?
              So showed him and he says “can take all of that and more” and proceeded to try to explain where he wanted it!!
              Chris, come back when you’ve more time and we’ll go take a look together” says I and off he shot saying he’ll be back over the weekend for a suss!

Made my day, especially after being Yodel-ised – pity it’s October, not May, but if it’s dry, I’ll be shifting dirt ........ after I’ve roofed this damned shed!!!

So ..... shed.
              We eventually got at it about half three!! First sheet was as expected; a bit of a bugger to get right, ‘specially as it’s still blowing a lot more than the 2M/s forecast!!
              After two hours of wrestling we’d gotten two more on, lined and secured ..... an’ Pam had had enough ..... she was cold!

Not gonna bore you all anymore with the details, as I’m sure you’ve all ‘been there, done it and got the Tee shirts’
              There’s plenty of pix to eyeball, if you’re so inclined here - http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/v8...lideshow/sheds

And here’s a few to give you the ‘jist’ of it ......

Pam’s been ‘snapping a few’ today too!

I’m hoping for a little less breeze tomorrow, some warmer temp.s and a hell of a lot more progress!!!

Pam, in spite of being cold, had an ear to ear grin as we packed up and says to me
              you must be the neighbour from hell, for the blokes down below us” !!

I’m looking totally blank and said “Sorry? Not with you ... they could do far worse, what do you mean

Well you can turn your hand to most things and do a good job ... they must get some flack about it, from their other halves !!
              Have to admit ....... it made me smile ...... can just imagine it –
              they’ve both got; odd job men, builders, leccies, gardeners, mechanics to sort whatever breaks down, etc., etc.!
              Had to fix the one guy's chainsaw for him the other day, simple enough fault and couldn't bare to see him get ripped off for 50 quid at the local 'chainsaw emporium', for the sake of 20 minutes 'Druidry' - he had a hell of a grin on his face when he left, too!!

Must be quite ‘difficult’, going through life unable to do for one’s self!
              Really can’t imagine it – not being able to at least give it a go!!

So ..... early night and hopefully a long, productive day tomorrow!!

Comment

• think you need to review your work at height.........................
                A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                  Pam, in spite of being cold, had an ear to ear grin as we packed up and says to me
                  you must be the neighbour from hell, for the blokes down below us” !!

I’m looking totally blank and said “Sorry? Not with you ... they could do far worse, what do you mean

Well you can turn your hand to most things and do a good job ... they must get some flack about it, from their other halves !!
                  Have to admit ....... it made me smile ...... can just imagine it –
                  they’ve both got; odd job men, builders, leccies, gardeners, mechanics to sort whatever breaks down, etc., etc.!
                  Had to fix the one guy's chainsaw for him the other day, simple enough fault and couldn't bare to see him get ripped off for 50 quid at the local 'chainsaw emporium', for the sake of 20 minutes 'Druidry' - he had a hell of a grin on his face when he left, too!!

Must be quite ‘difficult’, going through life unable to do for one’s self!
                  Really can’t imagine it – not being able to at least give it a go!!
                  There's a lot of pleasure to be had from being able to tackle anything, and do it properly, and I find the thirst for knowledge is un ending, to pick up the tips from the pros .. the hardest job is remembering it all, when you havent done a prticular task for 3 or 4 years And for me .. the most dissapointing was discovering that my young son had no interest in anything I tried to teach him He's a decent enough lad, but his mind just doesent seem to work that way ? .. well .. ive already told him that (in 10 years time) when his toilet cistern breaks at 10 oclock at night, (for example) he'd better have a good enough job to afford a plumber ,... and dont bother phoning me !! because Ive done my bit... trying to show him how to fix all the stuff that goes wrong in a house
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
                    think you need to review your work at height.........................
                    OK Stock ...... consider it reviewed ......... yep, we's deffo higher than usual .... bout 6 feet ranging to 12 !!

i's called ..... making the best of what yer have, to get it done ........ remember them good ol' days
                    All safety officers, etc. are shot on sight here !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Muz View Post
                      There's a lot of pleasure to be had from being able to tackle anything, and do it properly, and I find the thirst for knowledge is un ending, to pick up the tips from the pros .. the hardest job is remembering it all, when you havent done a prticular task for 3 or 4 years And for me .. the most dissapointing was discovering that my young son had no interest in anything I tried to teach him He's a decent enough lad, but his mind just doesent seem to work that way ? .. well .. ive already told him that (in 10 years time) when his toilet cistern breaks at 10 oclock at night, (for example) he'd better have a good enough job to afford a plumber ,... and dont bother phoning me !! because Ive done my bit... trying to show him how to fix all the stuff that goes wrong in a house
                      Could not agree more Muz ....... to be able to get it done and well, is tremendously satisfying.

Know exactly where you're coming from on the other comments mate.
                      Pam's boy, Josh was 11 when I first met him and over the years, I tried ...... He could've learnt sooo much and had terrific facilities and opportunity to do so.

We get on very well, so it wasn't that.
                      As you say .... just not interested.

He's now 27 and for the last several years has taken every chance he's had, to learn what he can and could've done, as it's suddenly relevant and pertinent.
                      I'm sure he now regrets not taking the chances when he could've, but hindsight is just that !!

He's highly intelligent and picks things up well, especially when they're fully explained, just lacks the practice/skills, which I'm sure he also finds frustrating, but he's getting there.

About to buy his first house, so yet another 'skill set' required!! ........ and another set of tools !!

Comment

• Well it would’ve been, if it hadn’t been pee-ing down ‘til half eleven this morning.
                        Woke up early.....to the sound of rain lashing on the Velux ........ and thought bollox!!

We’d already had a rude awakening in the early hours ...... Pam likes a fan on in the room, to circulate the air, at night and the bloody thing had committed Hari Kiri in the wee hours .... one of the blades had given up the un-ending struggle with the centrifugal forces, continually flinging it in a circular motion, let go and totalled it’s mates – couldn’t make out WTF the noise was to start with, but it soon dawned on us!!! Bloody good job it’s in a cage guard, or there’d have been plastic shards everywhere!!!!

Anyway ...... dragged all the gear out ..... yet again, when the precipitation stopped, got set up, lifted some sheets up with the ‘Drema, got one in spot and ........ it lashed it down !
                        Got it fixed, while Pam went and found her waterproofs and hat ....... an’ the sun came out !!

Anyway, suffice to say, I was set up and it was having it, rain or not, so all the back side is on and fully secured, as far as I can go, without all the flashings and ridge fixings.
                        Gonna have to fit t’other side before I can get to those!

Pam’s been snapping away too, today again, so there’s quite a few in the ‘Bucket, for anyone who cares to eyeball ‘em, including a few of the VA-r in action ...... damn it’s been useful for getting the sheets where I want ‘em!!

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/v8...lideshow/sheds

She’s at a.n.other wedding fair with her VERY pregnant daughter tomorrow, all day, so there’ll be no cladding done tomorrow, but got lots of scaff. to move and re-set, in a much easier position, thank God and also 48 trim strip/covers to paint and fit ....... so plenty to do ....... plus it’s supposed to be nice tomorrow & Monday!! So we might see t’other side on, on Monday !!

Comment

• Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                          Well it would’ve been, if it hadn’t been pee-ing down ‘til half eleven this morning.
                          Woke up early.....to the sound of rain lashing on the Velux ........ and thought bollox!!

We’d already had a rude awakening in the early hours ...... Pam likes a fan on in the room, to circulate the air, at night and the bloody thing had committed Hari Kiri in the wee hours .... one of the blades had given up the un-ending struggle with the centrifugal forces, continually flinging it in a circular motion, let go and totalled it’s mates – couldn’t make out WTF the noise was to start with, but it soon dawned on us!!! Bloody good job it’s in a cage guard, or there’d have been plastic shards everywhere!!!!

Anyway ...... dragged all the gear out ..... yet again, when the precipitation stopped, got set up, lifted some sheets up with the ‘Drema, got one in spot and ........ it lashed it down !
                          Got it fixed, while Pam went and found her waterproofs and hat ....... an’ the sun came out !!

Anyway, suffice to say, I was set up and it was having it, rain or not, so all the back side is on and fully secured, as far as I can go, without all the flashings and ridge fixings.
                          Gonna have to fit t’other side before I can get to those!

Pam’s been snapping away too, today again, so there’s quite a few in the ‘Bucket, for anyone who cares to eyeball ‘em, including a few of the VA-r in action ...... damn it’s been useful for getting the sheets where I want ‘em!!

She’s at a.n.other wedding fair with her VERY pregnant daughter tomorrow, all day, so there’ll be no cladding done tomorrow, but got lots of scaff. to move and re-set, in a much easier position, thank God and also 48 trim strip/covers to paint and fit ....... so plenty to do ....... plus it’s supposed to be nice tomorrow & Monday!! So we might see t’other side on, on Monday !!
                          Excellent work there Druids...............Pity about the loss of head height...... would you not have considered that in the design & manufacture of the "A" rafters..............

Now did the fan die due to centripetal or centrifugal force.......................
                          A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stock View Post
                            Excellent work there Druids...............Pity about the loss of head height...... would you not have considered that in the design & manufacture of the "A" rafters..............

Now did the fan die due to centripetal or centrifugal force.......................
                            Cheers Boyo

Head room isn't really an issue - as long as it's tall enough not yer bang yer swede! - I'd have had to go to steel to create portals and did consider mid portals instead of the trusses, but they'll provide overhead storage too, with some suitable shelving installed - they're 'man' enough to take a lot more than just the roof

This is only ever going to be storage for garden gear, 2 ride on mowers, me Ransome Bobcat, hopefully a Geat Dane ZT, when I can find one, ladders, etc., etc., (an' a few bikes)
                            It'll also keep that poly-tank in the dark, which should help extend its life-span considerably.

As for said fan, my money's on 'fugal as the bits did their best to get air-borne, as opposed to clustering round the hub, from whence they'd escaped !! ......... plus Pete was no where to be seen Friday night!!

Comment

• ‘Home alone’ yet again today ! So banned from any ‘clambering’ – anyone’d think I was getting old !!

First sheet is deffo a two hander anyway, so a bit ‘stuffed’, even if I wanted to. First job was to re-organise the scaff. to t’other side in readiness for ...

....... hopefully a good day tomorrow, on the roofing front. Had considered trying sizing up and setting out the end flashings, but really needed a second pair of hands for those too, so got on and painted the remaining 48 trims ....

Which were dry enough by the end of the day to shift about ready for ‘the up’ !!

In hindsight I should really have stood ‘em elsewhere, as tomorrow’s going to be a full day’s cladding hopefully – they’ll just have to wait, and won’t take long to shift aside!!

Spent some time, later in the day, turning my attentions to the LED work-lights I mentioned a while ago

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3313771399...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bought 8 x 48W x 16 LED units, that one o' the guys on t'other had been praising a while back, for £63.26 – less than 8 quid each - and was in need of making some bracketry to mount ‘em on’t ’Drema.
                              She’s got a halogen either side of the boom, just above the VA knuckle and I intend to replace these with two LEDs either side, so had to make up a couple of mount bars for the extra two.
                              I’d already been pondering the other 4’s mount for on the cab roof and sussed there are two nice M12 threaded spigots; for the use of!!
                              I’d a few ideas floating about in my head for how and was searching about for a suitable piece of flat bar, when I noticed some nice ali angle I’d forgotten about ....... perfect thought I ....... an’ it was !!

These units set out very nicely at 5” centres which also fitted well with the dimensions required to span the 860mm centres of the M12 spigots, so it all worked out very well.

There’s enough room for another three units too, if I needed ‘em, so pre-drilled the holes just in case.

Lighting bar – 1 no., for the use of :-

One of these is enough to melt the backs of your eyeballs, so hopefully this lot should provide me with more than enough Lumens/Candela for the coming dim winter months and the ‘early’ darkness that descends upon us all.

The boom circuit should more than adequately handle the 8 amp draw of 4 units, but I’m going to add another relayed circuit for the overheads, in fact I may well double up and run it all off two relayed circuits and save the ‘Drema’s control board relays the effort and loading. Would not have to worry about adding any further load then either !

Anyone recommend a good source for 24 volt, 4/5 pin 30 amp relays?

Comment

• Guess that’s a no on the relay front then guys? Just ordered some off Fleabay!

My feet are hanging off tonight after climbing scaffold and ladders all day, but, the lid is on !!

...... and I’ve even got a ‘bonus’ sheet in the pack ..... tha’s a first !!

I’m surprised just how much light gets in there through just the one door open ....

Just the flashings left for the tin work and the 48 timber cover strips/trims to fit, to complete the structure ....... I think ??
                                Oh and the rainwater goods !!

Then I can start on the odds and ends internally – shelving, overhead storage in the roof area, box the tank a bit, with a platform over it and wrestle a power cable up the duct, to get some lectrickery in there, so’s I can wire it out for some lights and a couple of sockets, etc. !!

Pam’s been going berserk with the piccie taking today, so there’s loads in’t bucket for those interested enough to have a shufty .....

The VA-r has been a Godsend for getting the sheets where I want ‘em and saved a lot of handballing/humping to get ‘em up there!!

So ....... I can stop boring you all now with the continuing saga of shed-ery at Druid Central !!

..... an’ ‘praps get on with some more interesting stuff, like VA-r quickies and maybe even a trommel build !!

Got to get some more planings spread about too .... all this tracking about recently, has really been pushing ‘em down and pulling some of the underlying crap/clay back through !!

Comment

Working...
                                X