No announcement yet.

Druidic exploits of a various nature!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one i was thinking about {the story i saw } said they were poweredby i think a 160 Man Diesel ..Guy started working for them During the second world war .and they wereused toopen up new fields for food production .. Was an interesting read .

Comment

The far an easiest way would be to buy one of these ... should get one for buttons

images.jpgwolseley-merry-tiller-cultivators-cadet-major-super-major-titan-titan-gt-brochure-7694-p.jpg

Just remove the ready made gear case, which has 2 fwd and one reverse gear already on it, and fit it with a drive motor .. jobs a good 'un
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        The far an easiest way would be to buy one of these ... should get one for buttons

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2467[/ATTACH]

Just remove the ready made gear case, which has 2 fwd and one reverse gear already on it, and fit it with a drive motor .. jobs a good 'un
        Bloody hell Muz, I sold one o' them last year in the local flog anything/wot yer brung auction !!
        Where wuz yer? it actually made 50 quid

Reckon the gyro options the boy - take no prisoners and a lot less fabbing involved - a disc and some tines - the rest is built!
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Bear in mind you are only looking to turnover the top few inches of soil though, and not pull up thin undernourished soil from below with no tilth in it. Secondly.... the little tillers are very effective at doing what they do, due to the horizontal plane on which the blades rotate. It allows for much better control over clod size (depending on the soil type and its plasticity) and can even beat the soil down to something fine enough that it would run through your hand if it was dry enough. On the down side, the soil has to be not overly wet otherwise those blades would clog, but, in general its best only to do that sort of activity when the soil is dry enough in any case, as moving it with anything, when too wet just makes porridge. Thirdly .. that style of rotor on those wee things is sectional, the pictures show a pair of rotors on each side, so you can add and remove them with a simple pin and adjust the cutting/rotavation width accordingly....... 4thly.... ... that gearbox has two speeds, and depending on the finish you need on the bed, one can be better suited to the conditions, If you can vary the oil flow to your drive motor widely then fair enough, but if you have limited rpm range from the drive, it would be beneficial to have a 'turbo' button ... just a few extra thoughts
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Bear in mind you are only looking to turnover the top few inches of soil though, and not pull up thin undernourished soil from below with no tilth in it. Secondly.... the little tillers are very effective at doing what they do, due to the horizontal plane on which the blades rotate. It allows for much better control over clod size (depending on the soil type and its plasticity) and can even beat the soil down to something fine enough that it would run through your hand if it was dry enough. On the down side, the soil has to be not overly wet otherwise those blades would clog, but, in general its best only to do that sort of activity when the soil is dry enough in any case, as moving it with anything, when too wet just makes porridge. Thirdly .. that style of rotor on those wee things is sectional, the pictures show a pair of rotors on each side, so you can add and remove them with a simple pin and adjust the cutting/rotavation width accordingly....... 4thly.... ... that gearbox has two speeds, and depending on the finish you need on the bed, one can be better suited to the conditions, If you can vary the oil flow to your drive motor widely then fair enough, but if you have limited rpm range from the drive, it would be beneficial to have a 'turbo' button ... just a few extra thoughts

I've wrestled one of these lil' buggers before Muz - it's why I sold the one I had; they're bloody hard work (and temperamental bloody things) !!

Can see where you're coming from and the gyro idea was merely 'one of those thoughts' yer get, now an' again!

The beds are all full of best Herefordshire topsoil (that I 'imported an 8 wheeler load of, a while back) and previous years' 'well rotted' poo, from the bottom up !!
            This was Pam's 'this year's load' o' tish, for her boxes an' she seems to grow some pretty impressive veggies in 'em.
            Not my 'field of expertise' - growing stuff!
            I'm much better at diggin' it up, or makin' things to keep it captive in!!

The reasoning behind the Gyro idea seemed like; it'd be an easy enough proposition to create, would require substantially less effort to use and could be done from the comfort of my seat, in't 'Drema ........... but as I say I'm no gardener!!

Oh, an' what the hell is "tilth"? Hear the word bandied about a lot by 'growing types', but never seem to get a grasp of just what this magic ingreedyment is exactly??

Thanks for the input though
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Dulnain plant have 2 diggers fitted with unit that can mount and plant a tree in one motion! Farr bits of kit as mounding and planting trees seems to be all the rage these days!

Comment

101 uses for Druid's 'Drema

Busy pottering/creating at my bench one day last summer when Mrs D comes up 'the Druid's patch' and says " there's another damned bird in the wood burner - again"!!

We get 'em occasionally, but lately there'd been maybe one a week and we'd decided we need to do something about it (but hadn't yet)!

So ........ Down tools and I went to take the top off the Morso - sparrows/tits are small enough to negotiate the baffles and appear at the window in the door, albeit a tad on the sooty side !!

After opening the french doors for their exit, one simply opens the Morso's door and they're away.

If they don't appear,
                it's a lid off job!!!!!!

It must have been Starling fledging time, 'cos sat staring at me, when I got into the guts of the Morso, was a very black young Starling, who in his bid for freedom, proceeded to feel his way across the ceiling,
                en route to his open exit to the great outdoors.

SWMBO was not happy
                (and I was a bit PO-ed at the black line across the ceiling too, if only for the ear-ache I was getting, for daring to allow said bird to do it!!!!!!!!).
                After some discussion it was decided that we (I) would need to 'mesh' the cowl on the stack pipe - soon, as in .... instantly!.

Off I went to find some 12mm weldmesh, that I'd got tucked away some where and before I'd even found it, 'the boss' is on the phone - "there's another one in there and bring something to catch the lil' ba****rd in this time!!"

Well I did, ..... but I didn't, ...... (catch it, that is), at least, not for long, so we now had soot on a wall as well as the ceiling, where the little bugger evaded my best efforts at containing his mad dash from the Morso!!

I'll swear it was the same bird!!!! He could not have got that dirty, that quick!!!!

With yet another bollocking ringing in my ears I set off AGAIN to find the mesh and damn me, I hadn't even got half way back when Mrs D is stood at the door announcing the arrival of yet ANOTHER one!!!!!

I am certain it was the same bloody bird , taking the p*ss!!!!!!!

Anyway - we were well happy when the damned thing made a direct 'B' line for the open doors and exited without redecorating any walls, ceiling, or carpet and I went and found the mesh.

I've all sorts of ladders but none of 'em qualify as a roof ladder so .......... either Pam (mrs D) learnt to drive/op the 'Drema in a hurry,
                or she was going up in the man basket, to get said cowl down for 'modification'.

Visitors curtailed any chance of sorting it that afternoon
                and fortunately we had no more feathered ones either, but the next morning it (and she) had to have it!!!

Pam is none to impressed with heights and reckons if we were meant to be more than 5 or 6 feet above the ground we'd have been born with wings or longer legs!!

After strict instructions not to snap the screws holding it in position, she wrestled the little bugger off and I spent the next hour creating a mesh skin for it, before it went back up!!

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps62b4be0c.jpg

mental note to self !!!

DO NOT steer those big EM treaded twins, on hot tarmac, unless you're actually moving.
                It (the black top) does not like it one bit.
                Forgot to get a pic. of the cowl, so'll have to stick Pam up there again .................. with a camera!!!!!!!!

The eagle eyed amongst you will have spotted the safety pin in the Miller; the first time I'd really needed it, plus the safety chain/pins on the basket all fully installed and secured !!!!!!!!!!!

And yeah, I know she's not wearing a harness - I'd had enough ear-ache for one week - she wasn't having any of it, for five minutes aloft.
                She might have, if she'd had a trip up to full height and maybe a parachute too !!!!!

Comment

For the tilling of the beds what about a home made power harrow driven with a hydraulic motor with a duplex chain and a set of vertical contra rotating tines that are commercially available from agri part suppliers.........
                  A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Idyllic pictures druid .. if only my lady knew how to work a set of pliers whilst up in a man basket 'and' even know what a fekin cowl was ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
                      For the tilling of the beds what about a home made power harrow driven with a hydraulic motor with a duplex chain and a set of vertical contra rotating tines that are commercially available from agri part suppliers.........
                      got any pix of said tines please Stock - Presumably the motor'd have to be a vertical fit unit too?
                      Got a couple of horizontal only units - biggish mutha the one is too, but can't be used vertically orientated - something to do with the bleed apparently - I'll find the info. and make.

Comment

Idyllic pictures druid .. if only my lady knew how to work a set of pliers whilst up in a man basket 'and' even know what a fekin cowl was ?
                        Case of needs must Muz - she won't even get in the cab of the 'Drema - has had ten minutes in Jake, a while back an' that was enough (for her an' Jake)

Deffo would not trust herself with me in the basket, even if she'd have a go in the seat (and a hell of a lot of practice), so Pam gets the short straw, or it doesn't get done, 'til I can get someone to get in there, in her stead!!

Had her up on the ridge a few weeks ago after those serious winds, putting a ridge tile back in place - No pix - didn't dare get out the m/c to take 'em - t'was still blowing a bit and wasn't 'leaving my post', with her up there Would never have heard the last of it either, if I had!!!

Got a few other exploits in the basket for you, when I dig out the pix!

Comment

http://www.agriparts.ie/power-harrows-tines

The unit on your tilty thing should work vertically. put a sprocket on it ..............

Comment

http://www.agriparts.ie/power-harrows-tines

The unit on your tilty thing should work vertically. put a sprocket on it ..............

Hmm! interesting bits there Stock - will have a ponder on that as an idea

Comment

I see you drive a 300tdi langer rodent Disco....................

Comment

I see you drive a 300tdi langer rodent Disco....................
                                No Boyo - I drive a P38, 4.6 HSE Rangey.
                                The disco's what Pam has driven for several years and is a V8 - 3.5 Efi with a hot wire management injection system.
                                She's a rare beasty - one of circa 200 built with the 3.5 and hot wire !!
                                It was a transition vehicle, when they stopped using flap valve air flow monitoring and just before they went to 3.9, hot wire, V8s (which were known for their premature death!!) Over-bored and couldn't stick it - 3.5s go on forever!

One previous pensioner owner, garaged all its life, no tow bar, back sets never sat in, full Lex history and had only done 32k when I acquired it. IIRC it's on about 45k now - drives like a watch

Both of 'em are LPG!

The disco's been relegated to 'spare vehicle' recently, after Pam nagged the ears off me to buy her a Golf for a local run around/distance blaster. Does a good job too, but is too much of a license killer for my liking - just wants to go!

My dad was a traffic cop & police driving instructor for 30 years and I got taught to drive ...... um ... quickly .....A to B as quickly as possible, safely!

Consciously decided to go 4WD route years ago when they started planting cameras everywhere, in a bid to keep my untarnished license intact ......... it's worked so far. Up 'til then I'd been driving XR4x4s and SD1 Vitesses

As the old man always used to say ....... "you get nicked by a 'Jam Sandwich', you deserve it" ....... cameras just ain't cricket

So now I drive a LOT slower!

Dad still holds the record for a blues (and twos) transplant run, from The Heath, in Cardiff to Guys in central London, with a heart on ice, in a box, in the back! 150 miles in under 90 min.s IIRC!!
                                It's a chopper job these days, so doubt he'll ever be ousted now!
                                Last edited by v8druid; 11-05-2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X