No announcement yet.

Druidic exploits of a various nature!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have had the other one of my cats not overly well recently ... the youngest one .. 6.5kgs of muscle ... off to the vets in the morning for a few teeth out ... he's been having issues eating and he has had to wait over a week to be admitted to have them done. He's been on pain killers and antibiotics for a little while and one of the guys from the CEF sent me this little gem, when I mentioned it on there. ...

"How to give a cat a pill:

Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby.
    Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand.
    As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger.
    Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
    Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws.
    Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth.
    Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap.
    Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains.
    Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil, and blow down drinking straw.
    Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away.
    Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer.
    Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing.
    Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
    Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges.
    Drink beer.
    Fetch bottle of Scotch. Pour shot, drink.
    Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot.
    Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from tree across the road.
    Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
    Tie the little @!!@#@#$%'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed.
    Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak filet.
    Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
    Consume remainder of Scotch.
    Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and remove pill remnants from right eye.
    Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Arrange for RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to give a dog a pill:

Wrap it in cheese.

have had a few like that ..... and some amazing ones too.

Had one in work on chemo for nigh on 3 years ...
    he'd be sat on my desk every morning waiting for me to arrive ....
    and again at 6 of an evening .....
    he knew and was absolutely brilliant at taking his 4 tab.s morning and night.
    Used to have a vincristin shot at the vets every 3rd week and although he'd sit growling at 'em, they always said he was as good as gold and never scratched or bit any of them

He was an exception to the rule though

Slinkymog, sat on the 4 ton Hyster bonnet .... he'd ride around on the FLT for hours ... it was nice and warm
    SLINKY.jpg

same joker also came up with this one .......

How to wash a cat

Thoroughly clean the toilet. Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted. Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape).

CAUTION!!!!!

Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any purchase they can find.

Flush the toilet three or four times.

Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely,

The DOG

I came in to work one morning, many years ago (before Slinkymog was ill) to find him covered head to foot in brown, silty, muddy mess .... he'd obviously been rolling round in a muddy puddle ... probably defending his turf .

Stuck him in a couple of inches of warm water in the sink and proceeded to attempt to get him clean!!

he looked a bit more cat like, (all be it a very wet one), after about three changes of water ..
    sat there good as gold and loved being toweled dry after ....
    much like the two we have here at home ...
    they go out in the rain 'specially to get soaked and toweled down on re-entry

If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• Sat here Monday night thinking .... feels a bit cold in here tonight ??
      looked at the thermostat, which is a wireless unit ... said 18C ?? deffo wasn't that !!

Looked at boiler .... demand light from the wireless lit, but no boiler .... BUGGER !!

had an issue with it a week or so ago, when the remote and the control unit stopped 'talking' to each other ... re-set their respective heads and away they went, chatting happily, so thought .. ah! done it again !!

Nope ... pissed about with 'em for an hour .... and the thermo is quietly rising on the supposed ambient temp. display, so came to the conclusion that summat was well and truly 'up' !!

it's one of these ....

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/pro...e/digistat2-rf

I had little knowledge on the subject ...... so thought just bin the bugger and go again with a.n.other new one .... they ain't that dear these days BTLs.

was re-wiring the boiler at 10 Monday night, so's we could at least have some heat and it's currently been on total manual control all week ... with it's inbuilt thermo determining run times and me determining when we need it on / off .... bit cool here this morning .. 'til I gave it the juice!!

New box of magic smoke arrived this afternoon (you know the sort ... when the magic smoke escapes from the box it never works again ) and got it wired in after Clara had departed site, this evening

The boss had a big grin on her face and new remote to play with, after I'd finished and we'd eaten

Controlled heating system restored to the Druid's household

Finally for tonight ......

we had biblical precipitation all last night and half of the day today and ........

It's back AGAIN !!!!!

but draining quietly!! again !!

WP_20170322_12_42_29_Pro.jpg
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

• New box of magic smoke​, for the central heating boiler, arrived Thursday afternoon and got it wired in after Clara had departed site

The boss had a big grin on her face and new remote to play with, after I'd finished and we'd eaten

forgot to mention the other day ...... Met's (Traktorist) saw arrived safe and sound in Ljubljana .... not bad, a week door to door !

Apparently he's so busy ATM, he hasn't had time to do anything more than drool over it

Lil' job for Alex yesterday . for his Tachi .... new 400mm bucket .... 35mm pins ... should've been 40s so .......

a little attenuation required ......

40mm broach later and

going from 35 to just 40mm, I was helped by the shape of the cutter and the way it'd been ground .... it self centred in the existing hole .... fortunately ... for me anyway ..... with a bit of careful setting up !!

If I'd been going up say, to 45 or 50mm, it wouldn't have been the case and I'd have cut a 'slug' / blank to fit the hole (35 mm) and centre dotted it as a guide for the broach pin, before securing it in the hole (which was pretty damned tight anyway) ....
        it'd also provide the activation for the suds feed to the inside of the broach, which'd need it ...... (the 2.5mm cut on the outside of the 40mm was adequately lubed by hand)

Pick up some 40mm bar on Monday, weld some 180 mil lengths in and job's a good un !!
        Got 38, 45 and 50 mm ..... but no bloody 40 though !!

Comment

• for my next trick .........

'Nother one for Alex later in the day ...

HPX related ..... yon grab has an adaptor plate atop of it to facilitate the connection of a rotater and integrate a check valve into the system ....
          I have a rotater that'd fit, but Alex wants this set up as a direct mount.

Kins do a kit ......
          at a not inconsiderable cost.
          So we had a look at it the other day when he got rained off and decided that a couple of the drilling plugs, were going to have to become 'ex-blanking plugs' and swap places with some screw in adapters ....
          courtesy of a lil' Druid magic.

I started off with a broach, intending to get down beside/around the plugs and get 'em out, but having taken the edge off two .......
          guessing due to the hardness of the area around the plugs being work hardened from swaging them into the drillings, it soon went old skool .....
          with a centre drill to start, in the plug, followed by a good old fashioned pilot and finally an 18.75 mm (that's 47/64ths" to the old guard) tapping drill for the 1/2" BSP tap that was going in there.

quick jiggle with a couple of taps and hey presto ...... side entry oil ports .......

Now all I got to do is flush the bugger out and get ALL that swarf out of those galleries !!!!
          then I can stick the check valve back in and a few plugs to stop off the now redundant spigot ports, 'fore it gets a mount stuck on top .... when I get told what size mount to create !!

In the meantime ............ I just so happen to have a few that'll bolt straight on to Mr Kins's std 141 mm x 141 mm rotater mounting centres ...... and'll fit under me VA-r !!!!!

well it's gorrahava try out !!!!

Comment

• Question for anyone who might know ..... how are the internal mechanisms on these HPX grab gears lubricated ???
            separate oil in gear box type thing, or do they bleed hydraulic into the gearbox??

if the latter, it's gonna take some flushing, 'fore I consider stuffing it full of the 'Drema's Plantohyd ..... and / or contaminating my oil tank with whatever lurks in there

Comment

• so ..... Returning to Alex's Kins. job ............ been a bit busy
              After a bit of net surfing .....

I know how it works, but can't seem to find any info. on how it's lubed?
              Looks to be stuffed full of Hydraulic to me and lubed on the opening stroke !!

from my take on that exploded pic .....

HPX 2.JPG

X is the close side of the system and A is the 'open' actuation side of what looks to be an oval piston assembly

X (P side of the 'gubbins') would appear to lube the helices and the A side (return to tank T ) merely returns oil from the main actuation chamber and galleries as the helices open the grab.

Looks like the A side is two circular pistons ....... only X is oval, giving a much greater piston surface area and also acts upon the reverse side of the circular piston seals too.

Thought s anyone else please ?? So in answer to my own Q ..... the lil' bugger is stuffed full of oil and is gonna need inverting / rotating to all sorts of orientations, possibly, to clear everything out ...
              or at least as much as possible

Might be an easier proposition with the shells off the rotors !!

also forgot to say that .... IMHDO ..... getting any leakage into the void V would be a no no, or it'd have to be overcome by the pressure on X and need somewhere to go to, too

HPX 3.JPG

It's one complex unit for sure
              You'd want to be feeling 'enthused' to whip one o' these to bits
              Attached Files

Comment

• Having failed to find any drain plug on the case and the ports look to be at the very top of the assembly, so .... inversion and a few wiggles about, plus plenty of air actuations ought to get 99% of it

there're two blank holes in the underside of the casting, but they're just that .... blank

could possibly be machining datums from/for the raw castings

managed to escape for an hour last thursday, whilst Clara had her nap and get down to me mate's place for a couple of bits of 40mm .....
                we've kept missing each other all week !!

Hoped to get 'em welded in friday, so's Alex can have the bucket back

Nice fit and a perfect alignment ..... should make for a better fit in the quicky on his lil' Tachi !!

had a good look at those underside holes Friday afternoon .... between the deluges and as I thought, they're threaded M16s

Bit of a good dig out ..... followed by a plug tap to clear 'em properly ...

... and I'd got a suss on HTF to handle it for inverting, for a good drain / air op. / drain sort of cycles, hung upside down

Couldn't find any M16 lift eyes in me 'stocks' so had to settle for a couple of 20s and used a bolt to secure them !!

Will make life real easy

'Nother lil' job between the 'showers' Friday ..

And while I had the Caddy out, repaired my favorite spade, Excalibur ... who I managed to break on Alex's job a few weeks ago .... pic to follow on that one!!

One 'Tachi bucket, in the dispatch dept., awaiting collection.

Was off to the Ovlov Live it Dig it thingummy in Brummy, on saturday, with Alex, so it's ready for him, when we get back.
                No sense in hauling it all the way there and back again !!

I was told there was gonna be some 'real' tiltys available, for a bit of a play with ..... was looking forward to that ...... and a good look at their guts, although I'm not allowed any spanners ......apparently .....

was hoping tilt was on the right stick ...... or I was gonna look a proper novice/numpty

Comment

• so ... as said .......

had the good fortune to have a day out at the Volvo Construction Equipment GB Live it. Dig it day in Solihull

Must say thanks;
                  to them (assuming they must be members here Muz ) for a great day out and letting yours truly loose on their machines

To Patrick Bulcock and his team for organising their end of things with Steelwrist .... and again letting me loose on his tiltys

To Alex Playle for sterling chauffeuring and his great company for the day ..... he drove up and back made for a nice easy day for me

and finally to everyone I had the pleasure of meeting and putting a face to their name ... great to meet you all guys, a lot I know from the various forums and FB ........ Plantworx next

Proportional rollers'd take some getting familiar with, after being so used to having to hold a button and giving it some left foot to run my VA-r!!

I could learn though ................ eventually !!!!!

Comment

• Sunday however was back to reality ......

Saturday's Ovlovs were very nice, but getting back into the 'Drema was like slipping on a favorite pair of old shoes and running my VA-r with thumbs firmly planted on buttons, with the ol' left foot providing the power, was a breeze, hauling down a pallet with a dumpy full of sand, required by 'the boss' !

A day out 'playing' came at a cost .... in more ways than just a bag full of sand ....... there were trade offs to be honoured

second circuit with the Dane and just about at this spot again ........ and it stopped !!!

on a fair cross slope and looked in the fuel tank..... half full ? strange !!!

Pee-ed about with it for a few minutes ... fuel pipe off and the 'head' of fuel was lower than the pump, so stuck a gallon in it, assuming the pump was having 'a moment' to get some gravity feed to it, in the hope I could get it off the slope and up level on the drive .... which I managed, but any more than a fast tickover was starving it, so limped it back to the shed and by the time i'd managed that 'twere time to eat.

This is the culprit IMHDO .... vac / pressure powered from the rocker cover below it and am assuming that it's diaphragm has either gotten dry and hard over winter, or the vac/pressure 'supply' has an issue ... like blocked or whatever.

anyone had any experience of this type of pump?? It's a Kwaka twin which usually runs like a watch.

will have it off shortly, but been busy on other things today .... Guess where I've been?

Meet Matilda .... 8t Doosan

Not had any seat time yet, but dare say I'll end up in there at some point.

seen here modeling one of the worst designed tilt graders ever ..
                    Alex had to turn the head assembly last week to get it to crowd far enough to actually keep half a bucket of spoil in it, to load the dumper ... massively tall and atrocious pick up angle!!!

Services required for a few days jockeying a.n.other Terex 6t swivel, trenching for some more footings, sorting the remaining drainage, together with a holding tank for pumping macerated tish to the main unit and getting the gas main supply pipe installed to the new cabins .... which're due imminently....

one new holding tank ...

and it's new home .....

Unfortunately, it's about 300mm lower than the lake's surface, so yon hole fills pretty damned quick, but we'll sort it !!

back again tomorrow to get the lil burger planted and concreted in .... wouldn't want it 'popping out' at a later date !!!!!

Forgot to say earlier ..... Squeak found a new use for Alex's HPX Sunday, basking in the sunshine .. LOL

and as said earlier ... Excalibur lives to dig again ....

Could really have done with dragging me lil' MIG out for it, but with the caddy out, doing those Tachi bucket pins ... I had to manage with it ...... turned well down

Comment

• footings sorted and ready for concrete Tuesday on both slabs for the balcony supports

came in Tuesday to find what we expected .......

a good 18" of water in't tank hole !!

one pump later and a load of bedding to get the height and yon tank was sat ..... 3/4 full of water to keep it put

got it plumbed up and ready for concrete at 2.30 ...

then proceeded to decimate the place whilst we waited for the mixer, with all the extra trenches required for rainwater run offs and the 'new' gas main ....

and the pressure feed from the holding tank to the original treatment tank

was looking pretty tidy ........ 'til we had to do all this !!

existing sewer run and gas pipe took some bloody finding .....

...... to tee into the new line

then on up to the new tanks we buried weeks ago ......

Oh and Tuesday hadn't started too well either ......

'Twere a couple of very busy days !!

..... almost as busy as Wednesday was ...... filling it all back in again after the gas guy had been and plumbed it all in ..... in fact recounting it all now .... was one hell of a busy day, both days.

Can't recall WTF we did Thursday ..... but I know we didn't stop !!

Alex was off to his next site Friday, doing some percolation test holes and I had the day to meself .... sort of !!

Gave the Dane some attention after getting back from the Vet's with Squeak .... follow up after a major dental job 2 weeks ago ..... although you'd never know .... a cat's resilience to injury is quite remarkable really ... and he's fine.

Got the main suspect off and joy of joys .... sealed unit ..... but did find a tiny little bonded granular filter in the body .... absolutely choked, assumed this was a vent to allow the diaphrgm free movement, so gave it all a damned good clean and tried the old 'mouth test' .... pumping sweet as.
                      All back in situ and away it went ........ followed by .....

which was also followed by ........ yet more bloody grass!!

Pam's been busy with her new flower beds ... between Clara days and they're looking pretty good .....

..... fair play ...

more plants required.... apparently !!

been beautiful here today and even had our evening meal out side on the patio, for the first time this year ...... Sparticus has also been enjoying catching some rays

Fatal to sit down if he's about !!

I have also managed to have a few hours to myself this afternoon, despite the tree pollen giving me grief ..... 'tis the season to be snotty tra la la la laa, la la la laaaaa .... etc !!yon rock/rubble pile has been bugging me for a while now .... it's in the way, awkward to get at, pretty damned unstable and basically in the wrong place ....... least it was .....

if this weather keeps up, me tip area's gonna be usably dry shortly and with the room to stockpile a bit now, I can get on and sort some of the crap out at leisure, instead of having to dig, sort and load all together.

Plus, ..... there may be the possibility of an alternate home for it .... 20 tonnes at a time, so might need to have a stockpile to load out from and a more accessible, bigger area in which to continue to stack me rubble, as it's sorted, ......'til it gets dealt with

Comment

• couple more pix of that tilty bucket ...... it's like a 6t bucket with 13 ton gear on it ...... bloody huge and totally the wrong angle ... it will be getting a new set up, apparently, after 'concerns were expressed'
                        Solid enough .... but waaaaaay too tall and can't keep anything in it, as it won't crowd round enough ..... pick ups are a pigs guts

This is after Alex had turned the pick ups around, by pulling the pivot and ram pins and spinning the head assembly.

there're a few more pix in me PhotoBucket ......

...... been having a play with the HPX yesterday .....
                        flipped it over ....

and got it devoid of as much oil as poss. ...... had to lay it back over to close it with the air ..... 150psi just wasn't enough to close it inverted .....

then left it sitting draining .....

whilst I made up a spacer/capture plate, to keep the quick couple blanks I'd made to go in the spacer/check valve block, with one of my pick ups bolted onto it ....

......all my pick ups have a large hole in their centre .... as some of you may recall ......

Then Alex turned up, so gave the HPX a few open / closes with the air, with him assisting closure ....... there couldn't have been much more than a film of hydraulic left in there after that.

Got it back the right way up and was gonna bolt the spacer and head on, when Alex suggested using one of my Kins rotaters, which happens to be the right one for the HPX, with underside ports to take their quick couples, instead.

Regrettably ..... no pix .... unless Alex has some ..... Anyway, with it all dogged up, hung on the Miller's lift eye, piped up to the bucket crowd QCs and the crowd ram change overs flipped, it got lofted and tried.

Doesn't it ever close with a 'CLACK' ...... splits/crushes concrete blocks and sleeper off cuts real sweet ..... some grab.

Gotta get a head plate made for it now to fit Matilda ..... Alex has been given yet a.n.other load of extra works at the lake job and is going to be in need of this lil' beast, fairly soon ...... so will have to go shopping for some steel A.S.A.P. ...... Easter weekend is not helpful !!

Comment

• been back there with him this last week ..... least mon/tues/wed.s ......

shaping up very nicely ..... stone bury-er been on overtime, with me piloting the compact JD it was hung on ........

shifted the old cabin that'd been moved out the way weeks ago, so he could make a start on tidying some more of the banks behind it .......

an' shifted yet another fair old pile of 'combustible' greenery!!

Lost count of the number of loads of 'scenery' we've shifted, these last few weeks !!
                          Gonna be a.n.other major bonfire though.

then got dispatched to the other side with the JD and BLECavator to give that area a good scrabbling ......

looking good 'across the water' .......

and all the areas around where the new cabins're gonna be living had the treatment too......

been so 'on the go' that I've struggled to remember to take pix half the time, so a little short of views of some aspects !!

Wasn't there Thursday as Josh and his wife were supposed to be home for Easter ..... no show and after both Pam and I got missed calls, late afternoon, were getting a bit concerned.

Eventually get through to discover that they'd had to change travel plans to Friday, as Josh's wife wasn't feeling great.

They eventually arrived late afternoon .... brandishing a photo ..... one o' they there 'ultra-sound' jobbies ...... guess who's gonna be grand-parents again come October !!!!!!!

Explains the 'not feeling great' Thursday !!

fair play Alex has a hell of an eye for the details and the general layout of how he wants it to end up ... the owners are absolutely over the moon with all that he's achieved and have constantly been adding 'can you just,s' ..... weeks and weeks worth of extra works.

At least another months-worth been added this week !!

Been uphill achieving 'a finish' with the ground we've been working with ... either very stoney or ultra sandy, with no real happy medium and very sparce topsoil .... the stockpiles didn't go that far, once spread about over the whole area, but yeh ..... looking awesome

As for Grandad #2 ...... great news eh .....
                          downside is, Josh and Katie May live and work in Plymouth 160 miles and two and a half hour's (on a good day) drive away, so input is going to very limited, in comparison to young Clara, a couple of miles down the road and growing, fast !!

October'll be busy for sure !! .......

Oh and I reckon it's a boy, looking at the scan pic ... but just my thoughts!!

well ...... Alex did have a few

no plumbing required ..... ported down through the bottom of the rotator into the adapter/check valve block, into the HPX body !!

and a vid of that 'clack' .........

what isn't on there is the HPX crushing a 6" concrete block and a small rock I was heading for at the end of the vid. ........ Alex ran out of memory on his phone !!

Comment

• well ........ I did get started ..... on a lil' bit of fabrication this morning, as the sun was out and the kids'd departed .......

last of me 20mm plate that the VA-r 'sprang from' ..

Getting a bit short on 'stocks' generally though, so having to make do with some things ... heavier than really needed but .... it'll do ...

....... too much like tempting providence though, getting the tools out ...... it ****in' pissed down!

got a couple of lil' bits to knock out for Alex too, but need to go shopping first, 'fore I can get wound up on those and am awaiting the arrival of a few ebay bits as well.

Might've stopped again, by then ........ but might not hold my breath ...... not even forecast

Comment

• You have been a busy bloke .
                              Thanks for the photos ,been good watching Alexs job site progress .

And congratulations grand dad . pass them on to the happy couple as well.

Comment

• You grandads need to stick together.......................................... ......
                                A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X