JCB and my JCB 803 Driving Me Mad !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muz View Post
    Yeah .. but ... the problem is.. even if you find the leaky one, by the time you pull it apart, you will doubtless disturb other potential trouble makers, so on a block of that age, you are as well doing the lot
    I think Andrew is just trying to determine categorically that that is the fault Muz, rather than trying to just repair just one slice joint.
    As you say would be nye-on impossible to strip it without disturbing all the seals and once you're in there, it'd be foolish not do the lot
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Yes Graham has it - I'm trying to prove that we've actually found the fault as the labour pulling the block out and putting it back is horrendous. The seat and frame with servo handles needs displacing vertically for access, and that may need the servo pipes all removing but I hope not.

Actually things have moved on a bit - I've located a (hopefully) good used block in Southern Ireland which should be with me Wednesday, so we'll pull the old one, put back the replacement, but I'll still do the testing on the original 'back at base' and also replace it's seals as a shelf spare.

If you have a shelf spare the chances are you'll never need it, but if you don't you can guarantee you won't find one when you need it

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
        If you have a shelf spare the chances are you'll never need it,
        I'm afraid that is the gospel

However .. it shouldnt be that hard to determine where the leak is coming from ?
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          I'm afraid that is the gospel

However .. it shouldnt be that hard to determine where the leak is coming from ?
          Hi chaps, I would have gone for the reseal first I think, but also take into consideration that the replacement when plumbed in May have its own faults! Good luck with it all Andrew, any problems drop us a line.

Coloured cable bled ties good for marking hydraulics before taking them to bits.

mick

Comment

Originally posted by Mick-the-fitter View Post
            Hi chaps, I would have gone for the reseal first I think, but also take into consideration that the replacement when plumbed in May have its own faults! Good luck with it all Andrew, any problems drop us a line.

Coloured cable ties good for marking hydraulics before taking them to bits.

mick
            Duly noted and filed for reference Mick - damned good idea
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Dozer spool slice

Well my Irish contact let me down big time. First block he sent me a picture of not only was the wrong spool block, it had been pulled out covered in cr@p with no thought to stopping it filling the ports - I'd not have bought it in that state unless it was at a give away price, as it needed stripping and careful purging. In the end he couldn't find the right block, so all this wasted a week

Is it only me, but surely if you are stripping hydraulics for re-use you (at least) pressure wash the outside to remove heavy muck - look at the picture - how can some of that NOT got into a port

Anyway we stripped the original block down, re-sealed the inter-slice joints with new 'o rings' then put it back only to find that the leak was actually coming from the actual sliding spool / slice bore interface on the slice for the dozer blade. All the other slices are servo driven, that one has a mechanical link to the dozer lever so I suppose it's more likely to go than the others.

New slice ordered from JCB (amazingly they had two in stock ) and it should be with me on Tuesday all being well.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
                Well my Irish contact let me down big time. First block he sent me a picture of not only was the wrong spool block, it had been pulled out covered in cr@p with no thought to stopping it filling the ports - I'd not have bought it in that state unless it was at a give away price, as it needed stripping and careful purging. In the end he couldn't find the right block, so all this wasted a week

Is it only me, but surely if you are stripping hydraulics for re-use you (at least) pressure wash the outside to remove heavy muck - look at the picture - how can some of that NOT got into a port

Anyway we stripped the original block down, re-sealed the inter-slice joints with new 'o rings' then put it back only to find that the leak was actually coming from the actual sliding spool / slice bore interface on the slice for the dozer blade. All the other slices are servo driven, that one has a mechanical link to the dozer lever so I suppose it's more likely to go than the others.

New slice ordered from JCB (amazingly they had two in stock ) and it should be with me on Tuesday all being well.
                Hi Andrew, is that not how they look, most of the ones I see are exactly like that, glad you are getting somewhere.

Mick

Comment

But Mick, I'm sure that you'd clean it up a bit before you uncoupled hoses !

Comment

Depends if you've got access to a power washer
                    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Ummm , It is a JCB , that is what they look like LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                        Ummm , It is a JCB , that is what they look like LOL

I know you're joking, but it's how ALL plant is after 17 years in the field in my experience. It's STILL no excuse for not cleaning it up BEFORE any hoses were uncoupled - just plain bad engineering practice in my humble opinion. But maybe this bottle of Australian Merlot is making me more outspoken - it's certainly affecting the typing
                        Last edited by AndrewMawson; 20-06-2015, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X