Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo EC15 engine run away (over revving)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15 engine run away (over revving)

Hi can anyone please help? I had just greased my digger up and moving it to do small job when it started over revving.
    I thought at first the accelerator cable had got caught but that was not the case. I dismantled the cable and tried starting her again and she just went into over revving again and does so every time I have tried her, luckily she switches off on the key. I suspect the governor switch if there is one but I haven't a clue where to start.
    I am in France so it is not just the case of popping down to local digger hire shop :-( Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    PS I changed oil filter etc about 20 hours ago.

Originally posted by williamtheconke View Post
    Hi can anyone please help? I had just greased my digger up and moving it to do small job when it started over revving.
    I thought at first the accelerator cable had got caught but that was not the case. I dismantled the cable and tried starting her again and she just went into over revving again and does so every time I have tried her, luckily she switches off on the key. I suspect the governor switch if there is one but I haven't a clue where to start.
    I am in France so it is not just the case of popping down to local digger hire shop :-( Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    PS I changed oil filter etc about 20 hours ago.
    What colour is the exhaust smoke? Does it smell oily/like burning oil? Is it turbo-ed and running on engine oil?
    I'd be very wary of running it 'til I'd sussed the issue! Might not be so lucky with the key next time!!
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me v8druid

When it first happened there was a great plume of black smoke behind me. Is it Turbo'd not sure I don't think so. Tried her this morning, she starts great but revs fly up right away, before then the engine turned over a couple of times before she would start. There wasn't any black smoke this morning.
      I read on other websites that it can start burning its own engine oil but as the engine was cold this morning I thought it unlikely.
      The symptoms appear to be as if someone has a bicycle pump filled with diesel and pushing it into cylinders. That is why I thought it was a governor on the pump!! Its as if the diesel pump is working at full speed pushing diesel into cylinders making it rev to its maximum. Yes you are right I think re starting her. I was thinking of draining diesel off just leaving a mouthful in just in case. Thanks again.

Comment

If its stopping on the key, its fuel related then, as the ignition switch kills power to the fuel cut off solenoid, probably the rack in the pump is stuck on full delivery, you'll need to lift out the pump to check. You can do this without fear of interrupting timing, because that pump uses small pistons that run on cam lobes from a shaft inside the engine.

I cant remember if its a small spring that will have jumped off the bar ? Or whether you connect a spring to the pump when you insert it

Theres no Turbo on that engine its a Mitsubishi L3E but you can get them to run on oil sometimes, usually by over enthusiastic filling, when doing an oil change, but it only does it momentarily on start up Ive noticed.

Just watch when you take it out, the pump sits on shims which are used to advance/retard the injection cycle when the engine is built.

Welcome to the forum BTW
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          If its stopping on the key, its fuel related then, as the ignition switch kills power to the fuel cut off solenoid, probably the rack in the pump is stuck on full delivery, you'll need to lift out the pump to check. You can do this without fear of interrupting timing, because that pump uses small pistons that run on cam lobes from a shaft inside the engine.

I cant remember if its a small spring that will have jumped off the bar ? Or whether you connect a spring to the pump when you insert it

Theres no Turbo on that engine its a Mitsubishi L3E but you can get them to run on oil sometimes, usually by over enthusiastic filling, when doing an oil change, but it only does it momentarily on start up Ive noticed.

Just watch when you take it out, the pump sits on shims which are used to advance/retard the injection cycle when the engine is built.

Welcome to the forum BTW
          I think on the mitsi engine the fuel solenoid goes in one end und Bears on the end of the rack, shutting off fuel to the cylinders, but I had one once that did what you have explained and the spring connected to the governor rod had broken the end off, so how it works is the spring would be connected to the throttle linkage and open the rack, the governor pushes the rack shut, and so controls revs, remove the plate on the side of the block beside the pump and repair the spring and fit it back on the rod, all should be fine!

Note the pump won't come out with the solenoid in place, and will cause damage if you try it.

Mick

Comment

Fuel related

Welcome to the forum BTW
            Thank you very much for the advice I will check it out and get back to you both.

Comment

Heres a similar pump from a Mitsubishi K4N that powers the Volvo EC45, yours will look very similar .. I'm pointing at the stud on the side of the rack where the spring should attach

Attached Files
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Picture

Heres a similar pump from a Mitsubishi K4N that powers the Volvo EC45, yours will look very similar .. I'm pointing at the stud on the side of the rack where the spring should attach

Thank you very much - I will get back to you

Comment

That looks a POP pump to get out - like the cam driven roller idea -

Got a (12HP) single Honda on a pressure washer that seized/stuck in the stop position - 5 sided bolt heads holding the 'kin thing in and absolutely no timing marks at all on it
                  Almost impossible to get out the block in the stopped position (almost), but explodes into multiple components, in the stopped position, as you extract the bloody thing

An hour to reassemble it to a set of witness marks and a further eight to .... re-assemble ...... install ...... try ....... take back out .... dismantle, move/adjust a miniscule amount and go again

Runs like a watch now and I NEVER leave it in the stopped position! A hell of a long day pissing about with it though!!!!!
                  If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                    That looks a POP pump to get out - like the cam driven roller idea - but explodes into multiple components, in the stopped position, as you extract the bloody thing
                    No mate this is a self contained unit and credit to mitzi .. real easy to work with or have I not understood your post ?

Comment

No mate this is a self contained unit and credit to mitzi .. real easy to work with or have I not understood your post ?

Yeah Muz, Mitsi unit looks the Bollox - Charlie Hodna's pump's a lil' bitch every component wants to escape in multiple directions the second you show it daylight

Comment

Inspection Panel

Hi followed jackpreacher's advice however I didn't need to draw out IP as when I opened access panel I saw a pushrod off it's mounting and spring hanging loose. Put back and now gonna try. I thought I would take heed of other advice re not putting on all three injectors just in case. Fingers X

Comment

Ok looks like you're on the home straight , question is ...... why did it do it ? .... keep us posted

Comment

Home Straight - why did it do it

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Ok looks like you're on the home straight , question is ...... why did it do it ? .... keep us posted
                            Well I thought I had it sorted, started her up and ticked her over.

There was a lot of ticking as if fan was catching guard.

Engine doing a little rocking, mounting at back looks suspect and not sure if that is problem!!

Well I put the back up to move her and it has gone again.

I think not that bad as it appears it can be put back by just removing, inspection plate, 4 bolts holding dipstick and accelerator.

It's rained a bit today so that's it I'll look at it tomorrow

Comment

Unless the tappets are set far too loose this presumably implies that a rocker or spring assembly is occasionally jamming letting the push rod out of it's 'cup' - could be nasty if things get in the wrong place at the wrong time :(

Comment

Working...
                              X