Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Volvo EC15B, help and advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or a faulty glow plug going dead short - longer you crank, longer it shorts and eventually blows fuses - I assume they continue to heat after going to crank, as a lot do?
    Try using the heater/glow plug position only-no crank and see if it blows the fuse?
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
      or a faulty glow plug going dead short - longer you crank, longer it shorts and eventually blows fuses - I assume they continue to heat after going to crank, as a lot do?
      Try using the heater/glow plug position only-no crank and see if it blows the fuse?
      Which was what I was getting at

Originally posted by Muz View Post
      that , that engine is quite a poor starter from cold without heat, and needs heat from glow plugs to get ignition easily.

The glow plugs are controlled by a timer and a relay, so at any state of play, you only get about 3-4 seconds before they cut out. Not sure if a short on one of those would cause a main fuse like that to blow, which clearly controls so much else on the machine, including the starting cycle. Theres a row of six fuses under the seat. The furthest away should be a 15 amp it is the one for the pre heat relay. It also does the two speed travel solenoid, adjustable tracks if you have them, and the dead mans handle switch.

Most have failed open with me, but its real easy to check them with a multimeter. Just take off the buzz bar that connects all three, and the feed wire, and put your meter onto the top of the plug, and the other side onto the block and look for closed circuit, it would be a good thing to eliminate.
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Which was what I was getting at

The glow plugs are controlled by a timer and a relay, so at any state of play, you only get about 3-4 seconds before they cut out. Not sure if a short on one of those would cause a main fuse like that to blow, which clearly controls so much else on the machine, including the starting cycle. Theres a row of six fuses under the seat. The furthest away should be a 15 amp it is the one for the pre heat relay. It also does the two speed travel solenoid, adjustable tracks if you have them, and the dead mans handle switch.

Most have failed open with me, but its real easy to check them with a multimeter. Just take off the buzz bar that connects all three, and the feed wire, and put your meter onto the top of the plug, and the other side onto the block and look for closed circuit, it would be a good thing to eliminate.
        Hi guys,

the preheat relay its self sometimes can give problems, especially if they get wet!

Mick

Comment

Working...
        X