Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottom track roller

Hi all
    Been away from the action for a while due to a bull related incident back in May, but!!
    Decided to tighten up tracks today and found one roller seized, on getting it out from machine (old JCB 801.4) I can see the bearings have gone, but how do I get the thing apart. According to manual there is the roller support then the lip seal to get off before you can see the circlip holding in the bearing. Should the support and seal just come off?
    Then of course where do I get new bearings from?
    TIA

Its one for the scrap bin Not worth repairing, even by a machine shop !
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Bear in mind that they may not even be manufacturers parts but after market ones of a different construction.

I did re-bearing a bottom roller on my little Kubota a year or two back, but that was because I needed it fixed and working that weekend - ended up boring it out for the next bearing size up as the seat was wallowed and I had the other bearing on the shelf

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
        Bear in mind that they may not even be manufacturers parts but after market ones of a different construction.

I did re-bearing a bottom roller on my little Kubota a year or two back, but that was because I needed it fixed and working that weekend - ended up boring it out for the next bearing size up as the seat was wallowed and I had the other bearing on the shelf
        I think ink the scrap man would glad to see it! Time and effort more costly than new one

Mick

Comment

Well before anyone had the time to reply, I had gone ahead and got it stripped down far enough to determine size of bearings needed.
          Got on phone to local bearing place, 2.30 Thur, they had them, circlips, and seals in stock, was going to go for them but decided on postage, I couldn't have got there and back for £3.50, they arrived 9.30 this morning (Fri). Had them fitted and back on machine by lunch-time, all for £27.24 + VAT.
          Koyo 52x25x15 £8.00 each
          Seals £3.37 each
          Circlips £0.50 each

Anyway Muz & Mick sod the scrap man.
          Muz, lose out on all the "fun" of repairing it? Skinned knuckles, cursing and spending hours in the workshop!!

Also Digbits wanted £77.00 before postage and VAT.
          I don't think it had been seized very long as there were still shiny parts round the roller, where it had obviously been going round.
          I don't do very much mileage with it, and will probably only have it for another 18 months, so wanted to be mean with my money.
          Thanks for your input, I will let you know if it all falls to bits in a week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
            Well before anyone had the time to reply, I had gone ahead and got it stripped down far enough to determine size of bearings needed.
            Got on phone to local bearing place, 2.30 Thur, they had them, circlips, and seals in stock, was going to go for them but decided on postage, I couldn't have got there and back for £3.50, they arrived 9.30 this morning (Fri). Had them fitted and back on machine by lunch-time, all for £27.24 + VAT.
            Koyo 52x25x15 £8.00 each
            Seals £3.37 each
            Circlips £0.50 each

Anyway Muz & Mick sod the scrap man.
            Muz, lose out on all the "fun" of repairing it? Skinned knuckles, cursing and spending hours in the workshop!!

Also Digbits wanted £77.00 before postage and VAT.
            I don't think it had been seized very long as there were still shiny parts round the roller, where it had obviously been going round.
            I don't do very much mileage with it, and will probably only have it for another 18 months, so wanted to be mean with my money.
            Thanks for your input, I will let you know if it all falls to bits in a week or two.
            Well thats a result Dont get me wrong I'm all for saving a few quid alright but anytime Ive had a repair done to idlers (never done rollers as they are well shot by the time I get them back) they've always failed again a few months later, and it made the £80 repair cost false economy
            Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

meant to ask ... do you fill them with oil as you assemble, or is there a grub screw filler ?

Comment

Hi Muz
                I think the idea is to put the oil in when you have the seal in the first side, then put oil in and seal to retain.
                There is no grub screw or anything that I can see.
                I didn't bother with the oil as the bearings were sealed, although with hindsight it wouldn't of hurt to put some in whilst it was open.
                anyway it will hopefully last while it is with me.

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
                  Hi Muz
                  I think the idea is to put the oil in when you have the seal in the first side, then put oil in and seal to retain.
                  There is no grub screw or anything that I can see.
                  I didn't bother with the oil as the bearings were sealed, although with hindsight it wouldn't of hurt to put some in whilst it was open.
                  anyway it will hopefully last while it is with me.
                  Oooh .. I think oil should be in there I hate to say .. the trouble is, the bearings are always running in muck, and get a really tough time with very high point loadings. Failure normally occurs once the oil has leaked out, Ive watched many do that. Its a great advantage of loading diggers onto a truck, you can eyeball the running gear closely every time you do it at eye level, and I can normally see the ones that will fail due to leakage. Some surprise me at how long they go on for however.

On the plus side .. Ive succesfully had machines on hire that have come back to me with 40% of the bottom rollers 'shot' .. and the digger had no problems what so ever. In such a case we would automatically re roller the whole of one side, and save the part worns to patch up the other side as they failed.

Another total false economy is to fit a brand new bottom roller amongst 3,4,5,6,7 other part worns

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    Oooh .. I think oil should be in there I hate to say .. the trouble is, the bearings are always running in muck, and get a really tough time with very high point loadings. Failure normally occurs once the oil has leaked out, Ive watched many do that. Its a great advantage of loading diggers onto a truck, you can eyeball the running gear closely every time you do it at eye level, and I can normally see the ones that will fail due to leakage. Some surprise me at how long they go on for however.

On the plus side .. Ive succesfully had machines on hire that have come back to me with 40% of the bottom rollers 'shot' .. and the digger had no problems what so ever. In such a case we would automatically re roller the whole of one side, and save the part worns to patch up the other side as they failed.

Another total false economy is to fit a brand new bottom roller amongst 3,4,5,6,7 other part worns
                    Good one, I think I have few old ones needing refurb in the lock up, £27 + vat you say, what did you say your address was! Rather your knuckles than mine. Mick

Comment

Glad to hear that you fixed it. In my case it was a case of saving down time. I've a pretty well equipped workshop and the spare roller wouldn't have arrived until after the job had to be finished

Comment

Originally posted by Mick-the-fitter View Post
                        Good one, I think I have few old ones needing refurb in the lock up, £27 + vat you say, what did you say your address was! Rather your knuckles than mine. Mick
                        .. look out Peter .... I'll be arriving with a truck load shortly too ... should keep you busy

Comment

Working...
                        X