Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

Must be karma .. Ive installed it on 9 machines without a hitch ... but the 10th was not so easy Word on the street is you need to watch some settings that share a lot of data back to microsoft which presumably gets 'harvested' or sold to other companies at some point. I dont really believe companies that say they dont do this
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

I managed to get an old lap top to run it which surprised me. With every new version that comes out be it 7 Vista etc they always made your middle aged PC obsolete I actually think 7 was the best platform they ever made. It was an excellent bit of kit

Comment

Had this in an Email .Make of it what you will.I didn't click on any of the links ,so no idea what they are .

Hi all,
      sending to all my contacts in case anyone's thinking of taking advantage of Microsoft's offer of a 'Free Upgrade' to Windows 10. Better read this first.

From a "dark" site.
      A Traffic Analysis of Windows 10

Some Czech guy did a traffic analysis of data produced by Windows 10, and released his findings the other day. His primary thesis was that Windows 10 acts more like a terminal than an operating system -- because of the extent of the "cloud" integration, a large portion of the OS functions are almost dependant on remote (Microsoft's) servers. The amount of collected information, even with strict privacy settings, is quite alarming.
      Information transmitted
      All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:
      oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
      pre.footprintpredict.com
      reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
      There isn't a clear purpose for this, considering there there's no autocorrect/prediction anywhere in the OS. The implications of this are significant: because this is an OS-level keylogger, all the data you're trying to transmit securely is now sitting on some MS server. This includes passwords and encrypted chats. This also includes the on-screen keyboard, so there is no way to authenticate to a website without MS also getting your password.
      Telemetry is sent once per 5 minutes, to:
      vortex.data.microsoft.com
      vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
      telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
      telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
      oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
      sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
      sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
      You might think that "telemetry" has to do with OS usage or similar... turns out it's telemetry about the user. For example, typing a phone number anywhere into the Edge browser transmits it to the servers above. In another example, typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:
      df.telemetry.microsoft.com
      cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
      vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
      pre.footprintpredict.com
      It's hard to imagine any purpose for this other than the obvious piracy crackdown possiblities.
      When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:
      i1.services.social.microsoft.com
      i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
      Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:
      pre.footprintpredict.com
      i1.services.social.microsoft.com
      i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
      telemetry.appex.bing.net
      telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
      cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
      statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
      If this weren't bad enough, this behaviour still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled. It's speculated that the purpose of this function to build up a massive voice database, then tie those voices to identities, and eventually be able to identify anyone simply by picking up their voice, whether it be a microphone in a public place or a wiretap on a payphone.
      Interestingly, if Cortana is enabled, the voice is first transcribed to text, then the transcription is sent to:
      pre.footprintpredict.com
      df.telemetry.microsoft.com
      If Windows is left unattended for ~15 mins, a large volume of traffic starts being transmitted to various servers. This may be the raw audio data, rather than just samples.
      Other concerns
      While the inital reflex may be to block all of the above servers via HOSTS, it turns out this won't work: Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background. Other than an increase in errors, HOSTS blocking did not affect the volume, frequency, or rate of data being transmitted.
      Original article, credit AE News

No wonder I like Linux :-)

Comment

Precisely ... You can turn off the methods that do all this though .. but I agree its a bit naughty to have them there at all !
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
        X