Windows 10 Licencing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Licencing

Just to warn you guys ...I went to change a motherboard in an office machine the otherday and found out that Microsoft blocked the Licence for that machine because of it. Windows 10 uses 3 main factors in the licence provision which includes hardware, so if you change anything substantial, you may loose your computers activation, and so render it unable to receive updates or use certain features .. what a fecking con ?

I mean I know they were offering 10 as a free upgrade ? .. but at what price ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Muz,

I had the same problem with Win7 when a disk failed so it's not new :(

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMawson View Post
      Muz,

I had the same problem with Win7 when a disk failed so it's not new :(
      Yes but the disk contains the operating system which is what you have paid for. Its a harder one to argue, but If you retained the activation codes, or have the OEM operating system you can get back to square one without cost. You used to also be able to do 'telephone activation' now its all different.. none of that exists .. its a straight 'buy a licence' or die situation, even if you change some hardware in your machine .. I think thats unacceptable ... given the amount of operating systems Ive purchased off microsoft over the years ? let me find a picture of one of their directors toys .,.....
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Ah yes .. fat profits indeed...... Owned by Paul Allen co founder of Microsoft .. Net worth 17.4 Billion yes that was Billion according to wiki
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Ah yes .. fat profits indeed...... Owned by Paul Allen co founder of Microsoft .. Net worth 17.4 Billion yes that was Billion according to wiki
          **** me Muz - tha's some sort o' boat!!!!!

Still running good ol' XP me, mate
          Mrs D has 7 on her lap top ...... I hate it with a passion

When / if this ol' girl goes to 'puter heaven ...... and she's earned it ...... I'm gonna try and go Mac ..... everyone raves about 'em, including my 'puter whizz kid/techy guy

Bought an older one a while back intending to learn to drive it ....... to date ...... I've never switched it on !!!!!!

When the shittier weather hits, I might just dig it out and see if I can't get my head around it ....... step-daughter's used Mac for years so she can always bale me out
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

It all depends what you're using it for. I've quite a bit of 'legacy' CNC software that I've persuaded to run under Win7 pro when I moved up from Win2K pro. Much of that WON'T run under Win10 and certainly not on a MAC or Apple.

In the case of my faulty hard drive, I had two identical systems, each with fully licensed Win7 pro and just wanted to swap the drives to prove the fault by substitution, but the operating system wouldn't let me

Comment

Well it finally happened .. had to change the motherboard in my main desktop at home , and there was no damn way I could re install any of my OEM XP, or 7 disks and do the upgrade to 10. So I had to shell out £185 for a 10pro licence .. not a happy chappy. I think micro$oft are going to come to blows over this If I bought a licence for a piece of software no mater how old it is, that should be that ? why we have to shell out again and again beats me

Comment

Working...
              X