Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

801.4 Perkins 103.10 runs perfect then stalls, then starts immediately ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 801.4 Perkins 103.10 runs perfect then stalls, then starts immediately ?

As title says

Got a 801.4 which been running perfect, recently started running for for hours or 10 mins then will slowly stall but the starts immediately and runs fine for maybe another 30mins or could be 30secs..... random !!!

When started doing it, carried out a all filter service, cleaned lift pump, sediment bowl

Still the same, had the lift pump apart and diaphragm etc all looks in good condition

It is getting worse and more frequent and running out of ideas just seems like fuel related to me but open to anything

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Does that engine have,a leak off pipe going back to tank ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Not that I could see but going to have a proper look again at all pipes pipes later

Fuel tank seems quite clean and is the same if on a low or full tank of fuel (just drained and freshly filled it) Sediment bowl was full of crap but since cleaned has stayed clean

Bit of jelly forming in the lift pump filter but thats all clean now and staying clean

Im running out of thoughts other than thinking injector pump which i hope its not, just cant fathem the running perfect then random stalling for what could be once or for hours then runs perfect but is getting gradually worse

Comment

Originally posted by craig7 View Post
        Not that I could see but going to have a proper look again at all pipes pipes later

Fuel tank seems quite clean and is the same if on a low or full tank of fuel (just drained and freshly filled it) Sediment bowl was full of crap but since cleaned has stayed clean

Bit of jelly forming in the lift pump filter but thats all clean now and staying clean

Im running out of thoughts other than thinking injector pump which i hope its not, just cant fathem the running perfect then random stalling for what could be once or for hours then runs perfect but is getting gradually worse
        Assuming you've made sure all the lines and filters are clear it would most likely be some debris in the tank ... Some simple polythene bag fragment or something floating in the fuel will cause exactly your problem. You really need the tank off and cleaned and inspected. In this situation, i pump the tank contents out through a gauze and I've been amazed at what I've found over the years !! The best lately was a label off something that was used as a legitimate fuel filling aid.

Some artefacts don't float on the fuel but 'in' it and can cause a blockage at any time
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks Muz,

You've convinced me to go back through the lines and start from the tank

Its just the way it can start back up immediately and run perfect baffled the hell out of me

Comment

Originally posted by craig7 View Post

Its just the way it can start back up immediately and run perfect baffled the hell out of me
            Pump it out first through a gauze so you can see whats in there.

You get this on/off problem because as soon as theres no 'draw' .... the artefact floats off the fuel outlet with the fuel slop in the tank, then re appears at a random moment.

You would think all tank outlets have gauzes in them but many dont and its just a pipe that usually stands proud from the tank base. Ofcourse yours may have a gauze, and its that thats blocked, ... not always easy to see by shining a light trough the filler neck

Comment

could also be a rubber line breaking up inside and randomly blocking the pipe ...... i'd be checking any rubber fuel pipes before going to the hassle of demounting the tank and maybe even replacing with new, whilst off.
              If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                could also be a rubber line breaking up inside and randomly blocking the pipe ...... i'd be checking any rubber fuel pipes before going to the hassle of demounting the tank and maybe even replacing with new, whilst off.
                Possibly .. but when a machine is performing as the op describes .... in my experience you have to go end - to end with these things otherwise you piss about with the bits in the middle for ages without really eliminating anything ... there are a few more horrors awaiting the OP, once he's eliminated the tank .. collapsed fuel lines due to no air getting into tank (which is why I was asking about a return line) and or the old horror, of drawing air somewhere .. so I would advocate replacing old hose in any event to eliminate that ...... Anyways I should have been clearer, not all tanks need to come off, some can be cleaned in situ, if you can sweep the bottom with a suction hose, this works well if the tank has a well at the bottom of it where all the shit collects, but some dont and have flat bases, where you never really get the bottom clean unless you take it out a swirl the muck out.

Comment

Cut off solenoid

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                  Possibly .. but when a machine is performing as the op describes .... in my experience you have to go end - to end with these things otherwise you piss about with the bits in the middle for ages without really eliminating anything ... there are a few more horrors awaiting the OP, once he's eliminated the tank .. collapsed fuel lines due to no air getting into tank (which is why I was asking about a return line) and or the old horror, of drawing air somewhere .. so I would advocate replacing old hose in any event to eliminate that ...... Anyways I should have been clearer, not all tanks need to come off, some can be cleaned in situ, if you can sweep the bottom with a suction hose, this works well if the tank has a well at the bottom of it where all the shit collects, but some dont and have flat bases, where you never really get the bottom clean unless you take it out a swirl the muck out.
                  Could it be a dodgy connection to the cut off solenoid? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by X-Ray View Post
                    Could it be a dodgy connection to the cut off solenoid? Just a thought.
                    Certainly could be .. although any Ive had fail tend to be all or nothing ? .. I guess we'll never know.... if the op doesent give us an update ? .. Welcome BTW X-Ray

Comment

Fuel problem

Has the diesel tank got algi in it as this would cause the symptoms algi stays in the tank won't go through the filter

Comment

Working...
                      X