Cat mini digger 301.6c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat mini digger 301.6c

Boom pins at rear/with bushes that are only fitted to the piston and cylinder, boy are those pins tight, 7 1/2 hours to remove one of three frozen solid, in the end i welded a frame to the boom so that i could use a hydraulic ram to try and shift the first one, with loads of heat on frame work/not pin, the side the ram was on moved, the other side the frame of the boom pushed out, oh well at least enough room to disc cut the pin either side of the piston rod, the one the ram was against came out with extra heat bending more of the frame work, the other side was even more of a battle, nearly white hot and the left over pin started to move and finally shifted, now i am left with a buckled frame work which took nearly two hours to align the pin holes back, not looking forward to removing the other two, one which is the booms swivel left to right and up and down casting, cast iron, the raise and lower pin on the boom i have welded box section to stop the distortion of the frame work, removal will start on Mon, in all my years of engineering i have never come across as somthing as tight as this, if rust is involve this was normally weakened by heat, now where i work we have a limited amount of workshop tooling, normally i would of drilled this , leaving a mill or two of metal left which would be easy as pie to remove, next installment will be pin number two.

Originally posted by Gussy View Post
    Boom pins at rear/with bushes that are only fitted to the piston and cylinder, boy are those pins tight, 7 1/2 hours to remove one of three frozen solid, in the end i welded a frame to the boom so that i could use a hydraulic ram to try and shift the first one, with loads of heat on frame work/not pin, the side the ram was on moved, the other side the frame of the boom pushed out, oh well at least enough room to disc cut the pin either side of the piston rod, the one the ram was against came out with extra heat bending more of the frame work, the other side was even more of a battle, nearly white hot and the left over pin started to move and finally shifted, now i am left with a buckled frame work which took nearly two hours to align the pin holes back, not looking forward to removing the other two, one which is the booms swivel left to right and up and down casting, cast iron, the raise and lower pin on the boom i have welded box section to stop the distortion of the frame work, removal will start on Mon, in all my years of engineering i have never come across as somthing as tight as this, if rust is involve this was normally weakened by heat, now where i work we have a limited amount of workshop tooling, normally i would of drilled this , leaving a mill or two of metal left which would be easy as pie to remove, next installment will be pin number two.
    I wonder why so tight ? a pic would be good so where abouts are you working on this ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working at Mick George's Ellington site, they use to send out there small plant for other company's to repair, that is were i come in, there new small plant fitter.

Comment

Working...
      X