Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all.

Hi all.
    I'm new to the JCB world as of tomorrow! I'm taking delivery of this 1989 4x4 turbo 3cx in the morning.
    Its going to be used lightly around the farm, More of a toy than day to day work machine.

Does anyone have any advice on what to look out for maintenance wise?

I'm trying to source a manual or service guide for it, but I seem to be struggling.

Kind regards, James.

[IMG][/IMG]

Howdy .. she looks tidy
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

aye don't she just Muz

I loaded a manual onto here http://www.remanual.org/ a while back for someone else here

need to register .... for free and be logged in to view/download it ...... 40 odd Mb IIRC ..... 'bout 700 pages

As for tips and advice ..... don't let the doors slam ..... they don't take too kindly to it and I've failed to find a new glass one for my '86 black cab ... Currently has a carefully crafted 6mm polycarb version keeping the weather out, which it does very well ... but ain't as stiff as the super cooled liquid that is glass ..... yours does have frames (of sorts) though

WP_20160716_14_40_09_Pro.jpg
      And alwaysmake sure that back window is well and truly latched up ...... they bloody hurt, when they land on yer head .... I can vouch for it

WP_20160507_12_46_48_Pro.jpg
      Finally ........ welcome to Muz's madhouse ..... a goldmine of info. ..... you'll enjoy it here !!
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys.

And thanks for the link v8druid, I'll take a look at that.

I reckon I'm going to be busy, 1st job will be to get the near side brake working. There is nothing at the pedal on that side!

Other than that I had a great day messing about and learning how stuff works!

One thing I did notice was that the dipper seemed to be down on power after using the backhoe for a while. What could cause this?
        I wondered if it could be hydraulic oil level. That shows half full when the bucket is down and the backhoe folded up.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post

I reckon I'm going to be busy, 1st job will be to get the near side brake working. There is nothing at the pedal on that side!

One thing I did notice was that the dipper seemed to be down on power after using the backhoe for a while. What could cause this?
          I wondered if it could be hydraulic oil level. That shows half full when the bucket is down and the backhoe folded up.
          Welcome!! Hope you'll enjoy as much as i am

Most machines should show oil in half the tube or full with all cylinders in.. i.e the boom and stick streched all the way out and bucked uncurled with an excavator. Druids manual will give you that kind of infos ;)

Comment

No prob.s Boyo

the brakes have a master cylinder each, located between the back of the dash and the screen ... check they're both full .. very often if one's empty it'll pump back up without the intervention of the spanners ..... if you're lucky .... gravity is on your side with the air bubble extrication

as for the dipper ..... oil could be bypassing the seals when it gets hot(ter) ... everything else OK with it otherwise ?

As Nobody says below .....check level with all cylinders retracted/closed
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
              Most machines should show oil in half the tube or full with all cylinders in.. i.e the boom and stick streched all the way out and bucked uncurled with an excavator. Druids manual will give you that kind of infos ;)
              I don't know what the procedure is for that 3cx but I've found the setting to 'check oil level' varies from one manufacturer to the other, the general rule of thumb seems to be all cylinders at mid stroke IMO, or working equipment lowered to ground, etc , so for my 360's of any make, ill have the bucket half open, dipper vertical and all lowered to the ground, same for the dozer. What you should see at this point is the oil level in the reservoir sitting at about 2/3rds volume of the whole tank. This allows for sufficient expansion if all rams are at minimum volume, when most oil will be in the tank, and conversely leaves enough oil to keep the pump fed in the opposite position. There is also provision for a contingent loss from bursts etc
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                As Nobody says below .....check level with all cylinders retracted/closed
                Ah posted just before me.. so are all 3c's this way ?

Comment

Thanks guys.

The left brake seems to have come good on its own? The reservoir for that pedal is full almost to the top, so I guess its not loosing any. Brakes are still not all that good and require what I think is excessive pressure to get the beast stopped. Ill give them a bleed, but the peals don't feel spongy like you would expect with air in the system. Maybe I need to look into new plates.

The tick-over seems to be a bit high. It wants to move a little faster than I would like when in gear and has to be held on the brake. I'm guessing that wants knocking down and setting so it only moves when revved?

I have found out why the hand brake dosent work, There is no caliper present at the disc! So that's something I need to source!

Its not the dipper, its the boom that struggles. (I'm still new to the whole digger terminologys!) Everything is fine for about half an hour, then it begins to struggle to lift and progressively gets worse until it wont lift at all. If I wait awhile it comes back, then I leave it for a bit while I bugger about with something else and its all good again for another half hour. All the other services seem fine, its just the boom that suffers.
                  So does that sound like an issue with the boom ram or another component? The boom ram dosent look like an easy item to service

Comment

Thanks guys.

The left brake seems to have come good on its own? The reservoir for that pedal is full almost to the top, so I guess its not loosing any. Brakes are still not all that good and require what I think is excessive pressure to get the beast stopped. Ill give them a bleed, but the peals don't feel spongy like you would expect with air in the system. Maybe I need to look into new plates.

The tick-over seems to be a bit high. It wants to move a little faster than I would like when in gear and has to be held on the brake. I'm guessing that wants knocking down and setting so it only moves when revved?

I have found out why the hand brake dosent work, There is no caliper present at the disc! So that's something I need to source!

Its not the dipper, its the boom that struggles. (I'm still new to the whole digger terminologys!) Everything is fine for about half an hour, then it begins to struggle to lift and progressively gets worse until it wont lift at all. If I wait awhile it comes back, then I leave it for a bit while I bugger about with something else and its all good again for another half hour. All the other services seem fine, its just the boom that suffers.
                    So does that sound like an issue with the boom ram or another component? The boom ram dosent look like an easy item to service
                    The brakes ain't the greatest anyway ..... two brakes trying to stop a good 7 tons

Tickover is set with the hand throttle ..... least it is on mine and'll close to the point of stopping ... 'praps my stop on the pump's a little low?

would rather that than the other way!!

Sounds like a std Jake handbrake ..... AWOL !!! ..... you got two legs and two buckets that stop it escaping ... but it'd be handy on occasion, I must admit .... they do tend to get 'overlooked'/forgotten though, which is why so many are missing!!

Boom ram's a bit of a bar steward to get out ... lay it out, pull the top pin in the rod eye and retract it. crack the cylinder cap off, while it's still attached to the kingpost .... pipes off, bottom pin and lift it out ..... unless you fancy tackling it in situ

IIRC there's a grub screw locking the piston on the rod threads.... hidden under a seal/O ring?

I'd be guessing seals by passing and hopefully not a spool issue giving your fault ... Muz'll be along shortly too, with an opinion, i'm sure

Comment

Had a great day today though.
                      Dug out our old pond, pulled up a small tree stump, filled some holes on our gravel track.
                      I let my 11 year old son have a go with the backhoe and he picked it up almost instantly!

Comment

Just check with the brakes what to use as fluid ..Most JCBs do not use Brake fluid .
                        If someone has put brake fluid in it ,that could cause the brake problems

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                          Just check with the brakes what to use as fluid ..Most JCBs do not use Brake fluid .
                          If someone has put brake fluid in it ,that could cause the brake problems
                          My reservoirs are marked up on the lids Ian DOT ... whatever it is? ..... brake fluid ... moulded into the lids

Comment

Bad day today, Water contamination in the gearbox oil!

Looks like I have a problem!
                            The gearbox oil has become contaminated with water from the oil cooler
                            I lost drive forwards and backwards and discovered the problem.
                            I have drained the oil from the gearbox, Loads of water came out, Then milky oil.

I'm I going to have to remove the gearbox and replace the clutch? Or do the clutches in these stand water contamination?

Cant believe my luck, I always seem to buy a lemon!

Comment

Looks like I have a problem!
                              The gearbox oil has become contaminated with water from the oil cooler
                              I lost drive forwards and backwards and discovered the problem.
                              I have drained the oil from the gearbox, Loads of water came out, Then milky oil.

I'm I going to have to remove the gearbox and replace the clutch? Or do the clutches in these stand water contamination?

Cant believe my luck, I always seem to buy a lemon!
                              Hmm.. a flushing will sure be required, but i think the plates will be ok.. would def give it a try anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X