JCB 3cx, water in the gearbox!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCB 3cx, water in the gearbox!

Hi all. I'm new to the digger / JCB world, and it looks like I've got off to a bad start!

I have a 1989 4x4 3cx. I have lost drive, both forwards and backwards. I have discovered that the oil cooler was letting water into the gearbox and I'm guessing buy the debris that I have found in the bottom of the gearbox that it has knackered the clutches!

I am in the process of getting the gearbox out at the moment, this seems simple enough, just heavy!

So I'll need a new oil cooler, and some friction plates (I'm guessing the steel plates will do another trip?)

Any advise on the job itself or the best place to source the parts would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, James.

OK, so the box is out!

The oil dipstick tube was a bugger, I couldn't get it undone whilst it was in the jcb because of the awkward position it was in and it caused problems all the way whilst removing the gearbox.
    The gear stick turret was in the way a bit too and Id probably remove this, although it didn't mention that in the manual.

Other than that all went well apart from working outside, in the rain, on my back with water trickling up my arse crack!

The box stripped down easily and it looks like a straightforward job...

And here is the offender!!!

All the parts, including o rings, seals friction and counter plates, bearings etc have been ordered. So as soon as they arrive I'll be on it!

Comment

Top job and thanks for the pics James .. very informative , were the friction plates being contaminated with water being the problem do you think ? It may sound obvious .. but surely there was a lot of oil in there too ?
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I spy a container full of toys ..... nice ..... great pix Boyo never seen one of those shuttle boxes apart before .... can see how the bugger works now .... I think !!

Best of luck with getting it all back in ..... you couldn't have lobbed it back at the seller/dealer? You haven't had it long?
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Hi Muz.
          Yes, water ruins the friction plates, There was a lot of water in there! I read somewhere that it breaks down the glue that bonds them to the plate.

I once had a Saab auto that had water in the gearbox, oil cooler letting water in again! that did the same.

Ill take some photos when I strip the reverser unit down, Just waiting on the new plates coming.

Hi V8druid.
          Yes, lots of toys
          I did phone the dealer. He said he would get back to me, but hasn't!

I'm annoyed because he said he would check it over and check the levels. Obviously he hasn't, otherwise he would have spotted the milky oil in the gearbox. Or he has checked them and thought sod it! The thing is if I had have known about it I could have swapped the oil cooler drained the oil and may have gotten away with it!

I'm not too fussed about taking the gearbox over to him to sort out though as I'd rather do it myself and know its right, than worry about what sort of bodges there are inside!

Comment

Originally posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
            Hi Muz.
            Yes, water ruins the friction plates, There was a lot of water in there! I read somewhere that it breaks down the glue that bonds them to the plate.

I once had a Saab auto that had water in the gearbox, oil cooler letting water in again! that did the same.

Ill take some photos when I strip the reverser unit down, Just waiting on the new plates coming.

Hi V8druid.
            Yes, lots of toys
            I did phone the dealer. He said he would get back to me, but hasn't!

I'm annoyed because he said he would check it over and check the levels. Obviously he hasn't, otherwise he would have spotted the milky oil in the gearbox. Or he has checked them and thought sod it! The thing is if I had have known about it I could have swapped the oil cooler drained the oil and may have gotten away with it!

I'm not too fussed about taking the gearbox over to him to sort out though as I'd rather do it myself and know its right, than worry about what sort of bodges there are inside!
            Perhaps he'd like to pay for all the parts and your time ..... or discuss it with Trading Standards ..... not fit for purpose and all that......didn't happen overnight...did it.

Don't blame you for not wanting him anywhere near the box .... you've done all the hard part ..... least he can do is pay for your troubles ..... that he sold to you as "fit for purpose"
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Working...
            X