Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pel Job eb506 - Puma problems

Hello

I am having difficulty with a Pel Job eb506.
    The puma unit sometimes works fine and another time won't light up at all.
    I have cleaned all connections and earth points.
    There is power to pin 35, and also pin 37 connects when the ignition switch is turned on. Therefore assume it is not an ignition switch fault.
    Any help much appreciated,
    New member, Pearl

I think Ive posted a fault finding guide on here somewhere for puma system. I still rate that digger as one of the best 5 tonners ever made by the way and also welcome .. and yes PUMA faults are a bitch also
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

And now to business .. what does it stop you doing ? and have you pulled the brain out of the dash and checked all connectors ? If youve done research .. you will see its usually the earth straps that cause the problems . Sometimes a complete power down also fixes some problems
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Thanks Muz,
        When you go to the machine, you turn the ignition key and the puma lights up, does what it should, and then you start up and all ok, another time you go and turn ignition on and nothing at all, the puma does not come to life, then it can be anything from an hour to the next day before it will light up and be fine again. There is power reaching the puma even when it does not light up.
        This is a recently acquired machine, would it matter if it had been standing without a battery for a few months?

I have the puma fault finding guide, but my problem is when the puma is not working I have nothing at all on the unit , no lights and no fault codes.

Comment

I'm fairly sure it has its own power supply fused independently from the rest of the machine, . I'd trace back through that first and see that its all good, I take it you've done all the earth straps, the main one for the brain is under the operators seat somewhere if I remember correctly

Comment

is a Puma Muz??????? control system?????
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
              is a Puma Muz??????? control system?????
              Yeah it was an electronic fault control/management system fitted on Pel Job machines that was more trouble than it was worth, When Volvo bought Pel Job they persisted with the system before radically changing it ... I got out of Volvos at this point so cant comment on where it went next ? It was the same old story .. Dust, Vibration, and Oil were its enemy, and thats why it caused so much trouble but .. the Machine Pearl was taking about was a mastery of hydraulic flow, it was a beautifully balanced digger with loads of oil flow which gave it prodigious speed in its control movements, coupled with exacting precision I have'nt seen on many diggers since .. it had it all .. a wonderful tool

I later bought its bigger brother the 7 tonne EB 706 .. an equally fine machine but a bit finniky with faults then also later bought the then designated Volvo EC50 , which was the same machine and followed that with three EC 70 7 tonners
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                Yeah it was an electronic fault control/management system fitted on Pel Job machines that was more trouble than it was worth, When Volvo bought Pel Job they persisted with the system before radically changing it ... I got out of Volvos at this point so cant comment on where it went next ? It was the same old story .. Dust, Vibration, and Oil were its enemy, and thats why it caused so much trouble but .. the Machine Pearl was taking about was a mastery of hydraulic flow, it was a beautifully balanced digger with loads of oil flow which gave it prodigious speed in its control movements, coupled with exacting precision I have'nt seen on many diggers since .. it had it all .. a wonderful tool

I later bought its bigger brother the 7 tonne EB 706 .. an equally fine machine but a bit finniky with faults then also later bought the then designated Volvo EC50 , which was the same machine and followed that with three EC 70 7 tonners

so to summarise ...... was a great tool apart from the piece of shit electronics which kept it all together

Pretty Much .. Its not a new story and a shame some manufacturers cant keep the mix correct
                If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Hello, am still having some trouble with the pel job but is better than it was. Maybe just needs using more. Have tried the newer puma unit for the volvo machine but have the fault code fc 1.03, this fault code is not on the puma fault finding guide. The engines heat plugs warm up but then starter will not engage. Anyone know what this fault code means? Thanks Pearl

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl View Post
                    Hello, am still having some trouble with the pel job but is better than it was. Maybe just needs using more. Have tried the newer puma unit for the volvo machine but have the fault code fc 1.03, this fault code is not on the puma fault finding guide. The engines heat plugs warm up but then starter will not engage. Anyone know what this fault code means? Thanks Pearl
                    So are you saying you've swapped the 'brain' .. I assume for an EC50 one ? .. I thought that was a very expensive last resort option ? I'll have a hunt for that code off an older unit

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Thank you
                        So ? did you swap it ... info is king around here !!!

Comment

Yes, got a new old stock one off ebay, tried it, and all lit up ok, but had the code l gave on the post

Comment

Yes, got a new old stock one off ebay, tried it, and all lit up ok, but had the code l gave on the post

Hmmmm .. and what was the reason why the ebay seller was selling it ?

Comment

where did you find the schematics for the machine, similar issues with my EB406, but having trouble finding all the grounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X