My first dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first dumb question

Could someone help me by explaining how you take a measurement of the hydraulic fluid- I can see a round dial with a yellow starfish thingy inside which is located on a panel at the side of the seat, but on inspection I cant see a fill level indication or any noticeable markings .Sorry to be thick. JCB 801.4 1995.

Others may hold a different view , but I've had no problems with my own set up after many years on many machines which is to have all the rams at mid stroke and there should be oil half way up the inspection window at that point. One word of caution though .. just be aware of the fact that if you cant see any oil, might also mean the tank has been over filled, and that the colour is a solid colour because the window is full of oil
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

I take it its the level you wanna check?
      There's normally a glass or plastic sigth gauge (transparent vertical tube) located at the side of the hydraulic fluid tank. this is your gauge. Often located at the same side as coolers and filters.
      Typically the hydraulic level should be measured with all cylinders retracted. I.e boom down, stick out, bucket uncurled.
      The sigth gauge should now show half full. That is you correct level of hydraulic fluid.

EDIT: Muz beat me to it, and like he says there are different views on this.

Comment

Whether you go for rams fully in, rams fully out, or like Muz mid way doesn't really matter, as long as you do it the same every time. Preferably on level ground.
        When I say doesn't really matter, it does of course, ie, if your rams are fully out, then you over fill, when your rams come back in, as they will, then you could not have enough spare capacity in your tank for all the extra oil coming back. Equally rams fully in, and low on oil you may not have enough to operate all the rams fully.
        So basically what I am saying in a long winded way, is, Muz is right.
        Hope that makes sense.

Think it does tell you in the manual somewhere.

It's page 85 Mike, take a look.

Comment

greetings Mike ..... welcome to the forum ..... as said ...... several schools of thought, but I prefer the all rams closed for my checks ... at least, as closed as you can get them, without dropping the boom in a hole and is how several experienced folks have advised

... really does depend on just how much spare capacity you tank has too ..... but you sure as hell do not want more oil in the system than the tank'll hold ..... what bloody mess that'd make !

If you have the book ....... follow it ... jakes have some peculiar ideas at times
          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

thanks very much for the info Muz,Nobody and 2414 Ginger, I think I will have to look harder as I cant see anything in that window except the yellow thing. Maybe as Muz says its overfull ( or empty !) . The fact that it should be on half way up that sight glass is the answer I was looking for, as the manual isn't that clear as it just says check the level.

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
              greetings Mike ..... welcome to the forum ..... as said ...... several schools of thought, but I prefer the all rams closed for my checks ... at least, as closed as you can get them, without dropping the boom in a hole and is how several experienced folks have advised

... really does depend on just how much spare capacity you tank has too ..... but you sure as hell do not want more oil in the system than the tank'll hold ..... what bloody mess that'd make !

If you have the book ....... follow it ... jakes have some peculiar ideas at times
              thanks v8 druid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                thanks v8 druid.
                BTW Mike ....... it's rare to get a totally dumb/dull arse Q., where plant is involved ...... they're such complicated weapons that there's always something to learn ..... and almost as many answers as there are Q.s ..... just occasionally there's a 'stumper' ..... but more often than not there'll be an answer to be found here .............. somewhere or other !!

Enjoy!!
                If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
                  BTW Mike ....... it's rare to get a totally dumb/dull arse Q., where plant is involved ...... they're such complicated weapons that there's always something to learn ..... and almost as many answers as there are Q.s ..... just occasionally there's a 'stumper' ..... but more often than not there'll be an answer to be found here .............. somewhere or other !!

Enjoy!!
                  haha great post thank you!

Comment

Ain't ya got one of these stickery jobs next to ya winder?
                    DSCN2988.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                      haha great post thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X