Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo EC15 - drivemotor sometimes weak

Hello,

sometimes it seems as the drivemotor(s) are weak. The EC15 stands horizontal - I neglect 2 or 3 degrees - and in front of the chain is a minimal obstacle, but the chain isnīt driving. I can hear that the hydraulic works. Maybe if use the other lever than the drive seems suddenly powerfull. So the weakness seems not be permanent.
    I made a further test: I sank the bucket down to earth and adjusted the tooth of the bucket down, so that the digger comes up light. Then I operate the drive and the EC15 runs strong forwards. At a further test I move the shield down. The EC15 runs strong and accumulated the ground until the resistance gets too much and the chains spin through.

I know - itīs heavy to explain this behaviour. Who tries?

Regars wowe

I cant remember .. is it an EC 15 'B' you have ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Intresting problem Feeling the pain tho.. Hope you get it solved!
      I assume you have checked hydraulic fluid level?
      If so, I would check pressure from drive motors and move towards upper carriage

Also, does it gain drive power while using any other function at the same time? In example; tracking while slewing

Edit: bet muz or someone else with come up with a more specific solution with time ;) never had the issue or similar myself
      Last edited by Nobody; 05-01-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I cant remember .. is it an EC 15 'B' you have ?
        Yes sir

I assume you have checked hydraulic fluid Level?
        Yes sir

Also, does it gain drive power while using any other function at the same time? In example; tracking while slewing
        I didnīt try

regards wowe

Comment

Well .. the B is a different animal to the earlier EC15's .. it has a different valve block architecture, whereby , if you hold one track lever on it almost doubles the travel speed to that motor, making it turn quickly, as opposed to having both on together, when they are both slower in unison.

The problem with this system is that .. when you double the speed you halve the power , so the drive in effect seems weaker when making a turn. Both motors are affected by a single relief valve that controls the maximum pressure to both motors. After some time , it does need adjusted, IIRC the motor stall and the valve blow about 190 Bar .. there are threads on here about this if you do a search. So if its blowing at 180 say ? you wont be getting full power to the drives, and we have reasoned on here before now, that even 10 Bar makes a hell of a difference to the machines performance..

If you adjust to more than that, you will cause the engine to labour badly, as it is on the cusp of its maximum torque/power delivery, and also increase risk of bursts etc.
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Ok - the next I will do is make a measurement. But because I live in a cold area of Germany this will take some time. I will write the results when I did it.

Regards wowe

Comment

There is a specific test point for that MRV and your guages will plug straight in .. I have a diagram somewhere I think, but you have a manual anyway yes ? just make sure of the pressure though .. dont quote me from here as I'm going off memory from way back

Comment

Could it possibly be a centre joint problem Muz ?

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                  Ordinarily you would be right, (and you may be yet !) but that's one area of EC15 ownership that I've never see go wrong yet ? Normally its an MRV first on them, Kubota on the other hand, I'd go with your option before block/MRV every time .. and that aint often cos they pretty bomb proof on the block

Comment

There is a specific test point for that MRV
                    The MRV at the inlet element of the control block.

can you explain it? A problem of the drive installation?

Regards wowe

Comment

The centre joint allows the oil to get from the top of the machine to the base .
                      As the top turns 360 degrees hoses would twist up if used to go from top to bottom ..Centre joint is a rotating coupling ,Sections are separated by O rings/ seals . If a seal is faulty it can allow oil to bypass the intended destination .

Comment

Ok - is a problem at the centre joint always coupled with a visible oil loss? I will take a look to it.

Comment

Originally posted by wowe View Post
                          Ok - is a problem at the centre joint always coupled with a visible oil loss? I will take a look to it.
                          No, fluid can bypass internally without exiting the part itself.

I would look for a faulty relief valve before this. If a relief valve is weakened, it will return the fluid back to the tank before you reach enough pressure to do what is intended effectively. That makes sense with the symptomes described

Comment

Today I tried to mount a Manometer, but the kit I bought doesnīt fit...

http://www.plantandconstruction.co.u...9067#post19067

No, fluid can bypass internally without exiting the part itself.
                            OK.

I would look for a faulty relief valve before this. If a relief valve is weakened, it will return the fluid back to the tank before you reach enough pressure to do what is intended effectively. That makes sense with the symptomes described
                            OK

Comment

You will probably need a specific adapter for that generation small volvos.. contact vendor of your kit and/or volvo support
                              If all else fails, you could find a suitable place to set a T coupling.

Comment

Working...
                              X