Brand new and a bit lost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new and a bit lost!

Hi guys, I have joined this forum as a way to get some help.
    I'm 28 years old, live in York and wanting to change careers from retail into the construction industry. I'm great at fixing things and love working with my hands. Really wish I'd done this sooner.
    However it seems due to my age and that I've got a degree (in a totally unrelated subject) it is bloody impossible! I have no contacts in the industry and just would love some advice!! Just need someone to give me a shot.

Welcome .. what parts of the industry would you like to work in most ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

and do you have ANY experience of any description on plant ?

Welcome too, by the way
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Thanks guys, I've always been interested in electrics but I'm keen to try all sorts. As far as plant, no experience other than helping my stepdad do our drive with a rented mini digger when I was a teenager! But I really enjoyed it and we did a good job!

Comment

Welcome!

Contacts I would say is paramount for getting into any industry if you dont have any experience from before..
          No relatives or friends that can give you a hand?
          If not you may have to create contacts yourself (go to the local pub )

Be prepared to take on something not optimal, and realize that you might have to start with sweeping floors and work your way up slowly. With some dedication and a bit of luck, you'll get there

Comment

No, no contacts to speak of, family of accountants and nurses! Yeah I'm trying to do a bit of networking, LinkedIn, forums, emailing local tradesmen buy no luck so far. Happy to start at the bottom and work up, was thinking of getting labourer cscs card and trying that way but again every job wants experience and references!! Wish I was 18 again and knew about apprenticeships instead of being pushed towards uni! 🙁

Comment

I understand that must be a little frustrating.
              It's almost an impossible task to force.. You just gotta find out what you really want and stay tuned for it, hoping an oportunity presents itself.
              Dont give up tho, keep doing what your doing and try not to lose sleep over it

My actual education and profession is auto body repairs.. I had pure luck to get where I am at the moment. If you work hard for what you want you just need a fraction of that luck to get going! If the word is out and demand is high, at some point someone will concider you

Comment

theres a firm near you that first fire suppression systems on diggers and plant. It's not operating but it might be up your street, it's world wide if your into that sort of thing

Comment

Thanks everyone! Do you know the name of the company you mentioned and I'll give them a call. Also if anyone has any contacts in the York area let me know. Thanks again for all your support !

Comment

http://www.ardent-uk.com/
                    Ask for Patrick Thornton, he's my brother in law.
                    I'm dylan jones

Comment

Working...
                    X