Cordless Drills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Drills

Think I am going nuts at the number of cordless drills Ive had that end up having batteries that dont hold their charge GRR what a wast of money

Re: Cordless Drills

Totally agree , I get a bout two years out of some of them.. I think you can recycle the batteries somewhere though .. i'll see if I can find a link ... what model of Drill are we talking about ?

Comment

Its Bosch stuff .. a nice wee drill with a slip clutch on it PSB14,4 VS-2

Comment

Aye see if my bird had a slip clutch ....oooo
        I Pull for a living

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike
          Aye see if my bird had a slip clutch ....oooo
          Can we try and maintain the tone you Maddo

Comment

Hi Garry, I just went through the same with my Milwaukee Lithium Ion. I thought they were bulletproof, but they died within one year. Fortunately, they were warrantied. The fellow at the repair center told me to buy "Rigid" branded tools as they have a lifetime replacement policy if you register the tool. More recently, I stoped at the battery shop to purchase a new car batt and found that they have a rebuilding service right in the shop. You can drop off the batt pack and they will put new cells in for about 1/2 the cost of buying a new pack. I have a slough of old cordless drills that are perfectly useable if I only rebuilt the packs. (That's one of the reasons I still keep a corded drill handy)

Comment

I run A Makita 18v Cordless hammer drill I got on offer at machine Mart.

Lovely tool and is still going after 3 years :)
              http://rsandersplanthire.com/ Plant Hire and Earthmoving

Comment

Originally posted by B4D2USA View Post
                More recently, I stoped at the battery shop to purchase a new car batt and found that they have a rebuilding service right in the shop. You can drop off the batt pack and they will put new cells in for about 1/2 the cost of buying a new pack. I have a slough of old cordless drills that are perfectly useable if I only rebuilt the packs. (That's one of the reasons I still keep a corded drill handy)
                Ahh thats interesting ! didnt think anyone did that .. kinda got me thinking ,, you know how the mobile phone companies have agreed to standardise their power charges to cut down on waste ? and I'm wondering why the drill manufacturers didnt perhaps use a common shape of battery and do the same thing. But likewise .. Ive ended up buying a corded one too because every time I went to use the cordless, no batteries were ever charged :bored:

Originally posted by JD450A View Post
                I run A Makita 18v Cordless hammer drill I got on offer at machine Mart.

Lovely tool and is still going after 3 years :)
                ... got one the very same on offer at B&Q about 3 months ago and I agree .. its a good 'un .. nice piece of kit

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
                  ... got one the very same on offer at B&Q about 3 months ago and I agree .. its a good 'un .. nice piece of kit
                  Bought one off this reccommendation .. nice tool with slip , hammer , driver options .. cool hope it lasts this time .. local tool store for 50 notes .. plus its locked in my chest so that Mucky Mike chap dont get near it
                  Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    Bought one off this reccommendation .. nice tool with slip , hammer , driver options .. cool hope it lasts this time .. local tool store for 50 notes .. plus its locked in my chest so that Mucky Mike chap dont get near it
                    Bliddy charger for it just died .. got a new one off ebay for £26 though .. checked out the old unit thoroughly, no dry joints or broken wires .. dunno whats up with it ? must be some component failure on the board in side it .. got a nasty shock off it too even after it had been unplugged from the mains for a good 5 minutes

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Totally agree , I get a bout two years out of some of them.. I think you can recycle the batteries somewhere though .. i'll see if I can find a link ... what model of Drill are we talking about ?
                    Whilst I was on the subject ,.. Ive just emailed these guys

http://multicell.co.uk/

for some other cordless batteries off the back of what B4D2USA was saying about recycling .. will let you know how I get on guys
                    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

What I need to find is someone who will buy all the old drills that I have accumulated with trashed batteries. I sure don't want to buy new batts on the off chance someone will buy them, but the drills themselves are in great shape. What a waste to throw them out.

I am sure the board has some capacitors that store a zinggy zap unless it's discharged properly. Properly doesn't mean "through a probing fingertip." LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by B4D2USA View Post
                        I am sure the board has some capacitors that store a zinggy zap unless it's discharged properly. Properly doesn't mean "through a probing fingertip." LOL!

Well I'd finished all the probing with plastic pens and was just fitting it back into the case when it got me .. there was a capacitor on the live side of the board, but it was small compared to some Ive seen such as in power amps etc so wasnt too afraid of it ... but jesus it gave me a jump infact so surprised was I, that I plugged it back in and back out again and took some readings .. between that capacitor and one of the field windings on one of the small transformers on the board I was getting 375 volts DC after a minute or so, and continuing to deminish .. thats like old TV HV type stuff, and you wouldnt catch me poking about in one of them .. just goes to show .. I'm very cautious with all things electric .. just didnt think an 18v battery charger would carry that amount of juice for that long .. another lesson learned

Comment

Working...
                        X