Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Volvo EC15B cutting out

  1. #1
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,374

    Volvo EC15B cutting out

    Well, another day, and another EC15 hiccup. Started looking at all the usual suspects, oil pressure switch, and water temperature thermistor as usual, customers hadn't been complaining as when the machine cuts out, they just restart it and its fine for the next good while. However it had cut out on me in the yard a couple of times so I thought I'd better investigate.

    Suddenly I remembered about a little ECU mounted under the operators seat, I'd had trouble with these in the past.

    IMG_0846.jpg

    This wee bugger gets an internal fault, or broken wires once they are inside the case, and theres not a lot you can do about it because all the components are resin bonded into the black plastic case

    Its mounted on the back side of a panel that contains all the relays and main 50 amp fuses

    Img_0841.jpgImg_0842.jpg

    The wires feeding it are none too clever and all twisted round each other ,... its a bit of a mess ... but if you mess with the wires while the engine is running, you are sure to get it to cut out, to be honest ... even before you strip anything out, just put your hand under the seat and give some wires a push, and if the machine shuts off, you know you are in the right place !

    Img_0843.jpg Here she be .... so .... could we fix this one this time ?

    I soaked all the back with some cellulose thinners, a bit of a risky move in case any components get damaged, and gradually I started picking at the rubber

    IMG_0848.jpgIMG_0849.jpg

    In reality its almost impossible to do without damaging something .. but before I got to this stage ... I made an interesting discovery
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  2. #2
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,374

    EC 15 gets lobotomised

    Turns out ... that the fault on this occasion isnt a broken wire but most likely a dry joint or similar on the small PCB inside the unit. I secured it to the machines and connected it up and discovered this :........




    So then I Just disconnected the two multiblocks to the unit, and guess what ? the machine ran perfectly !!

    The reason is that, the two sensors it is fed from are the two ( water and oil) that I had already disconnected, so without their grounding, and whatever fault is in the unit its self, there is no signal that gets sent to the fuel cut off solenoid any more that shuts the machine down. The key still operates the start stop as normal ... bit of a sideways result, but saves spending another 250 for a new unit for now !!
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  3. #3
    Qualified Brickie Nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    253
    Hehehe! Any fix is a good fix gonna remember this trick!

  4. #4
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,374
    RIGHT ! .. back on my high horse here is the unit stripped out with most of the rubber removed .. took a while

    Img_0222.jpg

    Ive highlighted the important data for you guys ........... Made by Mitsubishi part no 16A11 - 02100, a quick google crosses this number to "16A11-14001" listing as Engine Stop Timer for Mitsubishi .. kinda stands to reason as the original engine in an EC 15B is a Mitsubishi L3e

    476-Mitsubishi_L3E.jpg

    The cheapest I found a cross reference was 149 Euros or 127 also found this one on Ebay for 160 Euros which is about 137

    http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEUES-STEUERG...-/221544866835

    Honestly ... I'm calling Volvo out on this one there cant be anymore than 3 worth yes 3 POUNDS worth of components on that tiny board, no special chips, no fancy electronics, just basic crap you could buy out of maplin for about 3 quid . And how much do VOLVO want for this piece of elektrickery ? 230 quid plus VAT and postage so all up that would be just shy of 300.00 ........ that my friends is a right royal RIP OFF ! Volvo you should be ashamed of yourselves !

    To my memory, every EC15 I've ever had has had this part fail ... Any half decent manufacturer would at least accept an inherent defect in a component and sell it for a reasonable cost instead of ripping the poor customer off
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  5. #5
    Qualified Brickie
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    261
    Great work!

  6. #6
    Qualified Brickie Nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    253
    Great write up Muz! You should make a "known diseases" book for heavy machinery

    I have to agree with you on the pricing of that part, horrific although with todays market strategy, as with cars, they dont make money selling machines, they make it on services and parts.. that there might as well be engineered to fail. kinda sad, but also kinda reasonable.

  7. #7
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Great write up Muz! You should make a "known diseases" book for heavy machinery
    Thanks fellas

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    kinda sad, but also kinda reasonable.
    No it isnt .. by any means ..

    Its part of the reason I started this forum, to expose the rip offs that go on in our industry . I could tell you many more stories about parts Ive paid thousands for that months later I've found for hundreds ? .. there are some companies that milk consumers ..KNOWING their products have failures .. I dont see why anyone who joins this forum should be one of those people taken advantage of
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  8. #8
    Qualified Brickie Nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post

    No it isnt .. by any means ..

    Its part of the reason I started this forum, to expose the rip offs that go on in our industry . I could tell you many more stories about parts Ive paid thousands for that months later I've found for hundreds ? .. there are some companies that milk consumers ..KNOWING their products have failures .. I dont see why anyone who joins this forum should be one of those people taken advantage of
    I honor your cause, and companies taking advantage this bad should've been illegal
    On this scale we see here with the ec15 is way out of line, no question! When part price gets tenfold, shaming on producers are called for.

    By reasonable I ment that machines today are very cheap to buy because of great competition and it's fairly easy to aquire machines for new companies.. Without todays strategy (that is needed to make money) I think we would have the complete opposite. Fewer producers with higher marked share and a lot less competition, resulting in much more expensive machines and all the consequences of that
    But of course we will exploit all that is to be exploited

    Ps. Forgot to take pics of the saw.. promise i will tho x)

  9. #9
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    By reasonable I ment that machines today are very cheap to buy because of great competition and it's fairly easy to aquire machines for new companies.. Without todays strategy (that is needed to make money) I think we would have the complete opposite. Fewer producers with higher marked share and a lot less competition, resulting in much more expensive machines and all the consequences of that
    But of course we will exploit all that is to be exploited
    Well .. Volvo is not a small company, how did it get that way ?. You always hear stories about how competitive the market place is, but when you look at companies such as Volvo, you know for sure they've made a decent enough profit to pay their tax and have enough left over to swallow up companies such as Pel Job, which is actually the original manufacturer of the machine in question here. I take your point ... but I'm not buying it . Now .. dont get me wrong , I paid my money to buy an EC15 (one of very many) believing it to be a good product .. and guess what ? It 'is' a good product BUT .... Volvo must know through their supply chains that there is clearly a fault with this part, due to the volume they sell .. my experience is beyond repute, in that, of the manyEC15's Ive owned , every one has had this part break down ... and to add insult to injury .. Volvo marks up the part massively .

    And dont forget .. this is only a tiny component in a bigger picture of one machine, when you consider the VAST product range such as theirs ? .. where else are they shafting their customers ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  10. #10
    Qualified Brickie
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Well .. Volvo is not a small company, how did it get that way ?. You always hear stories about how competitive the market place is, but when you look at companies such as Volvo, you know for sure they've made a decent enough profit to pay their tax and have enough left over to swallow up companies such as Pel Job, which is actually the original manufacturer of the machine in question here. I take your point ... but I'm not buying it . Now .. dont get me wrong , I paid my money to buy an EC15 (one of very many) believing it to be a good product .. and guess what ? It 'is' a good product BUT .... Volvo must know through their supply chains that there is clearly a fault with this part, due to the volume they sell .. my experience is beyond repute, in that, of the manyEC15's Ive owned , every one has had this part break down ... and to add insult to injury .. Volvo marks up the part massively .

    And dont forget .. this is only a tiny component in a bigger picture of one machine, when you consider the VAST product range such as theirs ? .. where else are they shafting their customers ?
    Thanks Muz for valuable results through your Volvo investigations. Do you have any hint / prediction on after how many hours does the piece of rubberelectronics fail?

Similar Threads

  1. volvo ec15b
    By bones in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28-06-2016, 08:58 PM
  2. Volvo EC15B Engine Cutting out
    By jackpreacher in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-01-2014, 01:25 AM
  3. EC15B cutting out ECU problem
    By Muz in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-06-2013, 12:23 PM
  4. Volvo EC15B
    By pete_massey in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-12-2012, 10:19 PM
  5. Volvo EC15B cutting out
    By Dan in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-08-2010, 10:20 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •