Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Volvo EC15B cutting out

  1. #21
    Qualified Brickie
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Well so do you ... under a different name
    Yes, the one I have has been built in France and is a relative to the Pel...

  2. #22
    New Start
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2
    Thank you Muz for this excellent summary.

    I had exactly the same issue. I'm a private owner and had used the machine to do all the landscaping around my house and now that I wanted to sell the machine, it started randomly cutting out... Murphy's law.
    After some fiddling around I found out that cables would not do the trick reliably, but whenever I pushed on the ECU plastic case, the engine cut out immediately -> bad solder joint or something.

    That's when I started looking on the Internet and stumbled across your video, then this thread. Great info, thanks.

    For now I'm running the machine without this "ECU" - I find it funny how Volvo even call this an Engine Control Unit when it's merely a transistor and a couple of discrete components - maybe it's part of their strategy to justify the ridiculous price.
    Even Mitubishi call this "Engine Stop-Timer Control" which is a closer match, and their price is a lot lower, but still ridiculously high for the components and intelligence in the box.

    Still will have to see if I can sell the machine without "ECU" or if I will have to replace it. Personally I'm only worried about not shutting down on loss of oil pressure (but what's the risk of that?) and don't worry about water temp or clogged air filter.

    Positive side effect now: Looks like my ECU had been worn out (aged capacitors?) because it used to shut down the engine upon a cold start, when the oil pressure needed a moment to build up. I'm talking about slightly over one second here, not a huge amount of time. That problem also is gone now, of course :-)

    Thanks again for sharing the information and photos,
    Thomas

  3. #23
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by blobo View Post
    Thank you Muz for this excellent summary.

    I had exactly the same issue. I'm a private owner and had used the machine to do all the landscaping around my house and now that I wanted to sell the machine, it started randomly cutting out... Murphy's law.
    After some fiddling around I found out that cables would not do the trick reliably, but whenever I pushed on the ECU plastic case, the engine cut out immediately -> bad solder joint or something.

    That's when I started looking on the Internet and stumbled across your video, then this thread. Great info, thanks.

    For now I'm running the machine without this "ECU" - I find it funny how Volvo even call this an Engine Control Unit when it's merely a transistor and a couple of discrete components - maybe it's part of their strategy to justify the ridiculous price.
    Even Mitubishi call this "Engine Stop-Timer Control" which is a closer match, and their price is a lot lower, but still ridiculously high for the components and intelligence in the box.

    Still will have to see if I can sell the machine without "ECU" or if I will have to replace it. Personally I'm only worried about not shutting down on loss of oil pressure (but what's the risk of that?) and don't worry about water temp or clogged air filter.

    Positive side effect now: Looks like my ECU had been worn out (aged capacitors?) because it used to shut down the engine upon a cold start, when the oil pressure needed a moment to build up. I'm talking about slightly over one second here, not a huge amount of time. That problem also is gone now, of course :-)

    Thanks again for sharing the information and photos,
    Thomas
    No Problem and welcome also .. Thats the only thing you need to worry about, if it slips a fan belt, (or something like that) it will boil over, and that ofcourse risks damaging the engine, so its a chance you take .. bear in mind this thread is open for all to see .. so if you know the person you sell it to, maybes best replace it
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  4. #24
    New Start
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    .. bear in mind this thread is open for all to see .. so if you know the person you sell it to, maybes best replace it
    Unfortunately I'm too honest to not mention this "modification" when selling the machine.

    After sleeping over this I figured that lacking this unit probably costs me more in selling price negotiations than the 149 EUR it costs online, so I just ordered a new unit.

  5. #25
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by blobo View Post
    Unfortunately I'm too honest to not mention this "modification" when selling the machine.

    After sleeping over this I figured that lacking this unit probably costs me more in selling price negotiations than the 149 EUR it costs online, so I just ordered a new unit.
    That sounds wise to me .. at least we saved you half the cash to do it ... I shall go to my bed tonight happier in the knowledge I have helped another lost soul in the plant world and as far as Volvo is concerned .. they can have it good style, and maybees be a bit more reasonable with their spare parts costs
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  6. #26
    New Start
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    That sounds wise to me .. at least we saved you half the cash to do it ... I shall go to my bed tonight happier in the knowledge I have helped another lost soul in the plant world and as far as Volvo is concerned .. they can have it good style, and maybees be a bit more reasonable with their spare parts costs

    Hi Muz,

    Also have the exact problem with my EC15B , been slowly getting worse and worse . replaced ignition barrel and shut off solenoid on fuel pump and did not fix the shutdown problem then i found your posts on this site, been very helpful!

    I only have to touch the wires going into the unit for it to kill the engine. About to order a new one from USA for 140$. Volvo here in Australia wanted 660$ plus postage to bring it from Europe as they don't stock the part and the lady in parts assured me if i buy it from volvo it will be "original" and well worth the money.

    I may try bypass as you did while i wait for the part to come. royal pain in the anus !

    Thanks for your help and sharing your findings. big help

    Tim.

  7. #27
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro1218 View Post
    Volvo here in Australia wanted 660$ plus postage to bring it from Europe as they don't stock the part and the lady in parts assured me if i buy it from volvo it will be "original" and well worth the money.
    holy shit ..... thats expensive ! for all the basic electronics that it is too ? ... I like their sales patter 'well worth the money'

    Quote Originally Posted by Astro1218 View Post
    Thanks for your help and sharing your findings. big help

    Tim.
    No problem dude ..
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  8. #28
    Fabrication Guru +1 v8druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
    Posts
    2,756
    au$ 660 FFS what a ****ing rip off .... I can categorically say that I will NEVER own one of these sh1tboxes ... or any Ovlov m/c come to that ..... too risky

    You must've saved a few folk some bucks over the years Muz ..... and probably changed a few peoples minds about what to buy too
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

  9. #29
    Admin Muz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by v8druid View Post
    au$ 660 FFS what a ****ing rip off .... I can categorically say that I will NEVER own one of these sh1tboxes ... or any Ovlov m/c come to that ..... too risky

    You must've saved a few folk some bucks over the years Muz ..... and probably changed a few peoples minds about what to buy too
    Well .. I quite like the EC15 machine.. although its quite old now its a well balanced digger for a 1 tonner ... quick and a decent amount of power, its still a match for any modern hardware ... just a shame Volvo rip off their customers soooo much
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

  10. #30
    I appreciate this is an old thread, but while trying to diagnose the same issue on a customers EC15b I stumbled across this thread.

    My customer said that the engine kept cutting out when it got hot, so I started down the overheating route (blow out rad, check thermostat etc). Rad was full of leaves etc so after blowing out and running for over an hour, the machine didnt cut out. Customer came to collect it, next day, shut down again, back to workshop.

    Again in the workshop it ran fine, until i lifted up and slammed shut the rear counterweight. The shock of shutting it was enough to kill the engine. It happened everytime.

    Anyway, long story short, it was the 'ECU' at fault. Disconnecting it does indeed solve the issue. I also had an attempt at fixing the board to no avail, but I did come up with a cheap workaround/alternative option for others with this issue.

    Leave all sensor wires connected as they should be. Completely remove the ECU (but make sure to reattach any other earth wires which shared the mounting bolt). On one of the two plugs that connect to the ECU is a terminal that earths when either the oil pressure or temp sensor fire (perhaps all sensors share this terminal but those were the only 2 i tested for), run a wire from this terminal to the negative side of a 12v buzzer. You have two options as to where to take a live feed for the buzzer from, 1) ignition fed live (buzzer will sound as soon as ignition is turned on as there is no oil pressure - buzzer stops when engine is running unless there is an issue) or, what I done, 2) tap into a alternator switched live (only live when engine is running)

    Doing option #2 means the buzzer won't opperate when the ignition is switched on, but sounds when there is an issue. This allows you to switch off the engine manually before any harm can be done to the engine.

    On the back of the plate where the ECU is mounted is another module, one of the wires coming out of this module is live only when the engine is running, I just scotchlocked into this wire to give my 12v buzzer its live feed. There are probably other wires you can tap into but that was the first one I found. I positioned the buzzer inside the left control pod, beside the throttle lever so it can easily be heard even at max rpm.

    A buzzer can be brought for under 10 from most motor factors. This saves you a HUGE amount compared to the actual ECU and helps removes the risk of engine damage by just disconnecting the ECU.

    Hope this helps someone somewhere with the same issues.

Similar Threads

  1. volvo ec15b
    By bones in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28-06-2016, 08:58 PM
  2. Volvo EC15B Engine Cutting out
    By jackpreacher in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-01-2014, 01:25 AM
  3. EC15B cutting out ECU problem
    By Muz in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-06-2013, 12:23 PM
  4. Volvo EC15B
    By pete_massey in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-12-2012, 10:19 PM
  5. Volvo EC15B cutting out
    By Dan in forum Damn! its Broken ........ again ..!!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-08-2010, 10:20 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •