JCB 8018 CTS Mini Excavator - Fluids Maintence & Other Questions & Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCB 8018 CTS Mini Excavator - Fluids Maintence & Other Questions & Thoughts

Hi everyone, I figured I would join this uk forum seeing as this site has a pretty good JCB crowd.

I just picked up a JCB 8018 CTS mini excavator, it has a Perkins engine GJ71067U which according the service manual is GJ 403D-11 (Tier 3). The mini has a little under 1000 hours and is from 2014. I am going to using the unit on my property to do some foundation repair and the sort. Size wise its a good fit with my projects.

The unit recently had its oil, oil filter, fuel/sentiment filter, and air filter serviced. I am not in the process of performing all the other maintenance located in the official JCB service manual. I stopped by a JCB dealer today (also deals other brands) and picked up some of the fluids I needed. However not all the fluids were JCB. Below is a summary.

Hoping to get some feedback as to alternatives as the dealer left me a bit puzzled.

2. Engine (Oil) lists 2 JCB 10W/30 Multigrade (above -15°C (above 5°F)) MIL-L-46152, API CC/SF & 5W/20 (-15°C to -25°C (5°F to 13°F)) API CC/SE (recommended)
    - Thinking of running synthetic Rotella T-6 15w40. Thoughts on synthetic oil and weight?

3. Track Gearbox - JCB SAE 30 Engine Oil (Not Multigrade) -
    - Dealer told me to use regular oil but to stick with the recommended weight?

4. Track Idler Wheels & Track Rollers (bottom) - JCB HD90 Gear oil (API-GL-5, MIL-L-2105D)
    - Dealer sold me JCB gear oil (5gallon pale)

5. Hydraulic System - JCB Special Hydraulic Fluid (Up to 30°C (86°F) OR JCB Hydraulic Fluid 46 (Over 30°C (86°F)
    - Dealer told me I could go to napa and pick up small quantities of equivalent hydraulic fluid and he said to use 46 weight. Is this correct?

6. Slew Ring Bears - JCB MPL Grease (Lithium based no 2 consistency)
    - Dealer gave me Altra Rugged Red LC EP 2, which spec wise looks right after checking looks the same.

7. Slew Ring Gear Teeth - JCB SLew Pinion Grease
    - Dealer sold me Gear Shield Extra Heavy Spray cans. Said to clean any huge gunks of grease in there but not to go crazy and then just spray this stuff on there and rotate the unit and do it again. I am pretty sure I have a small window to work i n according to the manual so not sure how I will be able to get this done.

So now I just stared to check levels of the fluid. First issue I see is the machine is parked and the eye hole for the hydraulic fluid is full and not at the half way point as the manual says it should be. Machine is off and cold. I opened the top for the fluid and a bunch started to flow out the top of the lid. Could the shop where I purchased the unit overfilled it or am I incorrectly checking the fluid? Manual doesn't mention anything about how to have the boom etc so I just have it on the ground and a normal length.

Here are some photos under the hood. Anyone have any comments please do share. thank you

So I opened the hood on the left side and I see a leg, which I assume is a safety to keep the cab from slamming back down. I couldn't figure out where exactly the heck is goes, and its not in the service manual. See how the bottom wants to connect to something? Any ideas?

Shot of some fluid burning on the the exhaust. I believe this is fluid coming from above.

This is what is above.

Wireloom to close to engine. I also see some fluid on the engine again I wiped and didn't smell anything assume its hyrdraulic and engine oil.

Working...
X