Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRACK replacement help

Hi guys ,

Trying to change the rubber track on a JCB 803 plus (mini digger) , watched a few YouTube videos seemed straightforward enough...

So slackened off the tensioner bolt but to my surprise no grease came out ....

We then used a block of wood to unseat the old track, and the idler wheel compressed "a bit" and with some bars and a lump hammer we removed the old track.

Ok so all the videos I've seen of track replacement they are all comfortable to put on, they all just lift the new track on with very little leavering then greasegun up the tension, job done.

My idler wheel is stuck at max tension it takes huge force to compress it. If we use a 2 tonne jack against the blade and idler wheel we can compress it but the jacks in the way and it is no use.

I would expect grease to come out the tension bolt as the idle wheel compressed ? No grease whatsoever

I can't understand why there's such a huge spring force on the idle wheel is there somthing I'm missing!? I expected to compress the idle wheel then grease comes then out idle wheel stays in "compressed" position while you stick the new track on . Then use the grease gun to extend the idle wheel for tensioning up the new track !

Guys any help would be appreciated I've now got this digger with a track off in the middle of the farm yard with my blood, tools , mud in the rain stuck in the way till Monday (jcb phone call ) if you can't help .

Many thanks

Jim

Welcome .. on that size of digger the travel on the grease piston on the tensioner will only be 2-3 inches or so and it has a large spring on the other side of it attached to the idler usually. Now youve got the track off, pull out the spring assembly and idler and the tensioner cylinder and inspect it .. you'll be able to clean out all the crud built up in there and post a pic of your tensioner so we can see if theres a problem with it. It might just be a load of muck in there stopping you getting full travel
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Muz ,

thanks mate you're right I was just compressing the spring , the piston was rusted and not shifting after taking it out and cleaning it up a big dolop of dried grease popped out and we put it back together in 30 mins .

Thanks again

jim

Comment

Working...
      X