Slew motor 801.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slew motor 801.4

the manual says to change the slew motor oil, by way of removing drain plug and filling with hydraulic oil, via breather, ( crazy system) removed drain plug but no oil came out? its taken for ever to put oil in , 5ml at a time takes 5 minutes.
    I have removed the drain plug again to see if the oil is actually getting to the gearbox but still no oil?
    I suspect maybe the seal is worn so i will have to remove the motor, any ideas please

thank you

Had a look at the manual, and I see what you mean, could you use a syringe and short length of pipe attached to get the oil down into the slew motor, this would avoid waiting for it to percolate down under it's own speed? 700 ml divided by 5 ml in 5 minutes, it's going to take you 11 1/2 hours to fill it up.
    You need to find a quicker way. I assume it's not one of the earlier models that use oil from the hydraulic system.

Comment

if it was fed from the hydraulic system it would be sealed unit, ie no breather,

Comment

did you warm the oil up as said in manual Terry?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
          did you warm the oil up as said in manual Terry?
          Where does it say that Mike? I must have missed that when I looked.

Comment

Hi Mike.
            no oil to warm up, as system drained, unless i boil the can first, I am going to see fill the system this week and start engine and pump and check if the gearbox fills, will crack open the breather to allow air out, if that does not work then i will heat oil on stove and and try and fill gearbox if that does not work out in comes and i will give it an overhaul, but i did note somewhere that seals are hard to come by, for the slew motor, I suspect JCB want us to buy new ones.

thank you for pointing it out,

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
              Where does it say that Mike? I must have missed that when I looked.
              Hi 2414 .ginger- its Section F 6.1

Comment

Thank's Mike, what they refer to there, is to get the oil up to operating temp, before draining, (fairly standard practice for any engine/gearbox).
                They don't actaully mention warming the oil before filling, Terry's problem is, he has no oil in his. Sorry if I appear to be a bit picky, no offence intended.

Comment

Originally posted by 2414.ginger View Post
                  Thank's Mike, what they refer to there, is to get the oil up to operating temp, before draining, (fairly standard practice for any engine/gearbox).
                  They don't actaully mention warming the oil before filling, Terry's problem is, he has no oil in his. Sorry if I appear to be a bit picky, no offence intended.
                  apols to both you and Terry- I now understand no oil in it, I thought, mistakenly, he was having trouble getting old oil out as well as in!!

Comment

no offence taken, it was probably April 1st anyway

Comment

After many years

Hello everyone after so many years I recover this discussion. I do not have the manual available and I am not clear where the slew motor is located. Will you help me please?

Comment

Manual

The manual is available to view on YouTube believe it or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X