CPCS vs NPORS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPCS vs NPORS

I am currently an operator of various plant such as dump trucks, loading shovels and excavators.
    I have over 30 years experience on the machines and I am now thinking of taking the step into training and I am thinking of completing an NPORS instructor course.

I know that NPORS is not as big as CPCS but I think it is starting to be accepted on more sites.

What are peoples views on the status of NPORS and how do you think it compares against CPCS?

I think the answer to that is it depends where you want to work, and why you need the ticket. I have run my own company for 27 years with up to 50 diggers hiring mostly self drive kit, but also operated from time to time. Personally I was rarely asked for a ticket if I ever jumped in a machine, so never felt the need for one as I was rarely on a site for long, more just to cover, (without blowing my own trumpet), it was always clear that I knew how to handle my machine, but now I do more operated work because the money is decent and the company is smaller, so got me an NPORS ticket. I always hated the fact that the Major Contractors Group only allowed CITB/CPCS tickets and rubbished everything else, quite unreasonably, because, as an employer I was forced by statutory obligation to pay a financial Levy to the CITB every fookin year... which cost me a good few bob and gained me jack shit for it

To make matters worse and to validate my point, I had guys coming to me looking for operated work regularly , who I would put through some basic tests in my yard, and TBH the CITB guys on balance were generally less savvy than the NPORS (or its older version) guys were

I think there is still a bias though, despite all the levelling up thats happened in recent years ....Anything to protect the 'jobs for the boys' gravytrain
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
    X