X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operator training

Was reading this article

https://www.ukconstructionmedia.co.u...ills-shortage/

Its the first time I've seen virtual reality training for operators. What I wonder is, will it be able to help the safety side of new operators ? Seen plenty of young guys who can pull levers, but they are woefully short on 'site presence' and knowing whats going on all around them, its just an experience thing, but it makes them dangerous as new starts.
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Originally posted by Muz View Post
    Was reading this article

https://www.ukconstructionmedia.co.u...ills-shortage/

Its the first time I've seen virtual reality training for operators. What I wonder is, will it be able to help the safety side of new operators ? Seen plenty of young guys who can pull levers, but they are woefully short on 'site presence' and knowing whats going on all around them, its just an experience thing, but it makes them dangerous as new starts.

Have read elsewhere that Bircham Newton, etc., has been using it for some time, as have other places Muz ...... seems like you can get yer ticket without ever having sat in a real m/c
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
      Have read elsewhere that Bircham Newton, etc., has been using it for some time, as have other places Muz ...... seems like you can get yer ticket without ever having sat in a real m/c
      Yes,.. I know its a chicken and egg situation, but, we need to find some way of instilling the awareness that an operator needs to have
      Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Yes,.. I know its a chicken and egg situation, but, we need to find some way of instilling the awareness that an operator needs to have
        Absolutely Muz
        Drop 'em in the fast lane of the Peripherique around Paris in rush hour ..... develop awareness and reactions quick -- or die

That is what you call a dangerous environment
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Absolutely Muz
          Drop 'em in the fast lane of the Peripherique around Paris in rush hour ..... develop awareness and reactions quick -- or die

That is what you call a dangerous environment
          Ha ... funny you should say that .... I remember when we went to Eurodisney, and the wife had said .. dont worry .. i'll do all the driving ... cool I thought didn't fancy the whole drive on the right experience .. Well .. flew into Paris .. and she'd discovered she'd left here D/L at home .. so muggins had to drive on right for first time ever straight out of Charles De Gaulle airport in a left hooker for the first time straight onto Paris A7 where they were all doing 100mph ... frightening doesn't begin to describe it

Comment

Ha ... funny you should say that .... I remember when we went to Eurodisney, and the wife had said .. dont worry .. i'll do all the driving ... cool I thought didn't fancy the whole drive on the right experience .. Well .. flew into Paris .. and she'd discovered she'd left here D/L at home .. so muggins had to drive on right for first time ever straight out of Charles De Gaulle airport in a left hooker for the first time straight onto Paris A7 where they were all doing 100mph ... frightening doesn't begin to describe it
            LMAO Muz .... my first experience of the Peripherique was on a fully laden Z1000 Kwaka, many years ago, heading south, at 4 pm on a Friday ... what an education

Those local nutters ride the lane gaps like there's no traffic either side of 'em ..... full bore
            Fair play to the French motorists .... their lane discipline is exemplary ... but ..... all it needs, ... is one door ...... or a Brit dithering

Comment

LMAO Muz .... my first experience of the Peripherique was on a fully laden Z1000 Kwaka, many years ago, heading south, at 4 pm on a Friday ... what an education

Those local nutters ride the lane gaps like there's no traffic either side of 'em ..... full bore
              Fair play to the French motorists .... their lane discipline is exemplary ... but ..... all it needs, ... is one door ...... or a Brit dithering
              Yeah .... and if I was driving a UK reg plate they would know I was a noob to steer well clear of !!!! But it was a French hire car and they all clearly thought I must have been an arse

Comment

Yeah .... and if I was driving a UK reg plate they would know I was a noob to steer well clear of !!!! But it was a French hire car and they all clearly thought I must have been an arse
                too right Muz ..... in fairness they do give a GB plate a bit of 'grace'.
                I've ridden bikes & driven cars on GB plates .... and driven french / german reg. over there... and there is a definite difference to their deference

left hookers do help though for sure plus I've had plenty of experience of left hook cranes, on UK roads, which helps with the old right stick change and hanging yer left elbow out the windy instead

Comment

twhich helps with the old right stick change and hanging yer left elbow out the windy instead
                  Lol except with me I kept driving around with my right elbow in the air

Comment

Lol except with me I kept driving around with my right elbow in the air
                    ...... can just picture it

Comment

Working...
                    X