thwaites 4 tonne dumper brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thwaites 4 tonne dumper brakes

Well having at last finished the rebuild of the jcb 801.4 :) i have now purchased thwaites dumper 4 tonnes swivel bucket 4 wheel drive, just waiting for the good weather to use both, :( its been raining here for 6 months.

I noticed the brakes on the dumper seem to be seized or at least they are not working properly as they are getting hot.
    I think they are inside the axle immersed in oil, not sure how they work , anyone have any ideas please. thank you in advance

better still does anyone have a workshop manual that will help, thanks again

Originally posted by Smarttee View Post
    Well having at last finished the rebuild of the jcb 801.4 :) i have now purchased thwaites dumper 4 tonnes swivel bucket 4 wheel drive, just waiting for the good weather to use both, :( its been raining here for 6 months.

I noticed the brakes on the dumper seem to be seized or at least they are not working properly as they are getting hot.
    I think they are inside the axle immersed in oil, not sure how they work , anyone have any ideas please. thank you in advance

better still does anyone have a workshop manual that will help, thanks again
    before you go delving too deep ..... try changing/renewing the brake fluid ..... it's hygroscopic and the moisture in it will not perform as brake fluid does .... may be holding the brakes on a little.
    worth a try if it's been stood about any length of time.
    I might just have a manual on PDF ..... will have a look

you got any pix of the finished Jake Boyo ----- or have I missed that somewhere ??
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

thank you V8 am looking at it tomorrow morning, will keep you posted
      I have posted a photo of my finished 801.4 on my project post

Comment

thank you V8 am looking at it tomorrow morning, will keep you posted
        I have posted a photo of my finished 801.4 on my project post
        Cheers Boyo ... looks tidy
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Hi V8 thank you for the compliment its been a long year,doing the jcb but enjoyable.

I put the dumper on axle stands today, and started the engine, turn the wheels for about ten minutes and they stopped by themselves , no heat on the axle. is there. how do the brakes work? even if they are immersed in oil surely the axle has separate reservoir and oil and yet i cannot see how to change the axle oil, do all 4 brakes work the same?
          there is a bleed nipple on top of the front axle close to where the the master cylinder pipes enter the axle.
          did you find the pdf for the manual, would be great if explains just the brakes :)
          thank you

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
          Cheers Boyo ... looks tidy

Comment

Hi V8 thank you for the compliment its been a long year,doing the jcb but enjoyable.

I put the dumper on axle stands today, and started the engine, turn the wheels for about ten minutes and they stopped by themselves , no heat on the axle. is there. how do the brakes work? even if they are immersed in oil surely the axle has separate reservoir and oil and yet i cannot see how to change the axle oil, do all 4 brakes work the same?
            there is a bleed nipple on top of the front axle close to where the the master cylinder pipes enter the axle.
            did you find the pdf for the manual, would be great if explains just the brakes :)
            thank you
            hopefully there might be something useful in this

Muz HTF do you attach a pdf - it's 8+mb
            Last edited by v8druid; 13-04-2018, 11:05 PM. Reason: HELP Muz???????

Comment

can't get the damned thing to load .... PM me your email addy and I'll email it to you Boyo

Comment

manual

Thank you V8 a great help, will keep you up to date of my findings.

IMG_20180416_125125.jpg

can't get the damned thing to load .... PM me your email addy and I'll email it to you Boyo

Comment

Thank you V8 a great help, will keep you up to date of my findings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4064[/ATTACH]

Hell's teeth Boyo ...... looks as big as my 6 tonner .... just smaller wheels

Looks in good condition

Comment

Hi V8 , its a little better after changing oil, but could not buy flushing oil here, could i use diesel oil, kerosene to wash out? I am thinking that will move the muck,

thank you

Comment

Hi V8 , its a little better after changing oil, but could not buy flushing oil here, could i use diesel oil, kerosene to wash out? I am thinking that will move the muck,

thank you
                      think if anything like that, I'd go for the kero and a good airline to give it a good blast out in there too .... do you have any pix of the access to the brake mechanisms, you could show us ?
                      good to hear you seem to be making progress

Comment

Hi V8 , i found the problem without stripping the brakes .The master cylinder piston was seized, as soon as I freed it the brakes released.

thank you for all your help :)

Comment

Hi V8 , i found the problem without stripping the brakes .The master cylinder piston was seized, as soon as I freed it the brakes released.

thank you for all your help :)
                          excellent news ....... and an easy fix

Comment

similar issues with the breaks on a Thwaites 4 ton power swivel

excellent news ....... and an easy fix
                            Hi V8 and Smarttee,
                            I'm new to this forum and joined because i saw your conversation about the Twaites 4 ton breaks. I have the same problem, they work but a fair bit of grinding. I took off the master cylinder and cleaned it and changed the fluid but am a little confused about how to bleed it. The "bleed nipple" or what i thought was a bleed nipple on the top of the axel doesn't seem to let any air or fluid out when i loosen it and pump the breaks?

I cracked the break pipes going to the axel and beld it through that but it still seems spongy. Is there any other way to belled it.

If i drain the axel - what should i fill it up with? I was told hydraulic 32 for the breaks but i guess some 90 gear oil for the axel would be right?.

any advice very welcome.

thanks

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by docsteviec View Post
                              Hi V8 and Smarttee,
                              I'm new to this forum and joined because i saw your conversation about the Twaites 4 ton breaks. I have the same problem, they work but a fair bit of grinding. I took off the master cylinder and cleaned it and changed the fluid but am a little confused about how to bleed it. The "bleed nipple" or what i thought was a bleed nipple on the top of the axel doesn't seem to let any air or fluid out when i loosen it and pump the breaks?

I cracked the break pipes going to the axel and beld it through that but it still seems spongy. Is there any other way to belled it.

If i drain the axel - what should i fill it up with? I was told hydraulic 32 for the breaks but i guess some 90 gear oil for the axel would be right?.

any advice very welcome.

thanks

Steve
                              take the nipple right out and make sure it's not blocked Boyo .... and try a gentle brake pump with it out too, in case the seat is full of crap as well

TBH I have no idea on the fluids ... but seem to recall that std DOT 4 brake fluid is a no no .... axle I'd guess'd be ep80/90, but need to find out for sure, with oil immersed brake system .... IIRC I have a manual for my 6t somewhere on PDF ... see if I can find it

anyone else have any ideas ??

Comment

Working...
                              X