No announcement yet.

Volvo EC15 B - Offset-ram leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap the hydraulic lines off on the hoses to the ram you took off , make a bar to hold the boom in place where the ram came from. use the machines bucket to pull the c spanner , hydraulics have more power than your arms .. I have used our 3 ton excavator to loosen ram nuts on my 8 tonner ..
    You may need some thing better than your vise to hold the ram though .

Comment

The ram is open. i welded a square tube to the cap and then the opening was easy. But at flexing the welded tube away after the action, the flex caught and I violated the pushrod . Maybe I can make a rework at the pushrod.

But when I lock to the front cap, there are some questions.

IMG_0302.jpg

You can see the cuted outer o-Ring. I donīt know, if this cap must (or could) be further disassembled to get all the seals out. Maybe somebody knows this.

Comment

Aye ye'd have been faster wi a big stillson and a bit of scaffold pole .. end up damaged end cap for sure like I said, but you are just as worse off now and taken twice the time
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Aye ye'd have been faster wi a big stillson and a bit of scaffold pole .. end up damaged end cap for sure like I said, but you are just as worse off now and taken twice the time
          One of the great learnings in my life has been that whenever something is working it is better not to touch it unless you are sure of a better results after the surgery. A couple of times have messed with something I did not understand and it ended up in an expensive disaster.

Wowe, hope you learned something out of this..

Comment

Ayi a big stillson and a bit of scaffold pole .. end up damaged end cap for sure like I said, but you are just as worse off now and taken twice the time
            You canīt compare us both. You are a professional worker who has made the same work offen and has the job to get the machines running as soon as possible. I am a private man and although I become a car mechanic many years ago, the most work at my digger is completely to me.
            Btw - the front cap isnīt damaged - itīs in a very good condition. I removed the welding points from opening and there are no problems.

When you look at the seal of the cap - you can see the real origin problem:

IMG_0310.jpg

If you look at the green seal you can see that itīs damaged completely. There are many little parts broken out around the whole circle. If I didnīt damage the pushrod with the flex, I would fit the new seal set and the old pushrod and I think that would be all to do. But sadly I made the mistake with the caughting flex. But - so what.

Now I have ordered a blank hydraulic round steel. When I get it I give it to a turning shop to adapt it for the piston. Then I cut the eye of the old pushrod and weld it to the new round steel. For this work I made a device with the old pushrod. So the eye will fit as at the old pushrod:

IMG_0308.jpg

Alternatively it would be possible to weld the eye at the installed ram. But at the work bench it would be easier.

Wowe, hope you learned something out of this..
            The only one mistake I did was the bad controlling of the flex. But shit happens. I have already often worked with the flex and made difficult tasks, but this time I was careless. Something like that can happen.

Comment

the most work at my digger is completely new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by wowe View Post
                the most work at my digger is completely new to me.
                Same here but that`s part of the excitement of learning new things. I knew almost nothing of hydraulics about a year ago, not much even now, but have basic understanding what is it all about.

The comments were not put you in bad light at all, sorry for that, but just to highlight the importance of thinking carefully before starting any new adventure in excavator repair. When is it not broken, I prefer not to touch it

thanks for sharing the seal change operation.

Comment

Now I got the round steel back from the turning shop. They add a thread and a fit as by the original one.

IMG_0314.jpg

Then the welding part began. This was not an easy part, because the welding area adjoins directly to the seal of the front cap of the pushrod is driven in. Here you can see the result:
                  IMG_0312.jpg

The problem is, that the melting steel touches the area where must pass the seal. At this pic I give the pushrod to the cylindre and pushes it completely in:
                  IMG_0316.jpg

To handle this problem I fixed a protection tube around the pushrod. Before welding, I made the area hot with an electric fan. The welding current was about 200A. I hope it keeps stable.
                  Now the reassembling must be done.

Comment

Today I remounted the Ram. Itīs leakfree and finished well the first short test. So the work is done. Thank you for all hints and tips.

WoWe

Comment

Working...
                    X