Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labour in the UK Industry (including operators)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labour in the UK Industry (including operators)

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. Hoping you all can help me out by filling in a short survey about Labour and Agencies in the UK Construction Industry.

Its mainly for people who have experience in hiring and managing tradespeople and plant operators to get a feel for what the experience is like.

The survey is anonymous (and only takes a couple of minutes!), and I am only trying to get the general statistics to present to a group of students in a course I am doing.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=pAy2b4eVNEO61U-n5gsQr3-ZprsbJ1RNm1DnBC_WyfpUMzI5MzRLQVc0MTNGUlZXQ1I5MFNWQ k9COS4u

Hopefully you can help me out and feel free to discuss in the thread!

Originally posted by AusEngineer View Post
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum. Hoping you all can help me out by filling in a short survey about Labour and Agencies in the UK Construction Industry.

Its mainly for people who have experience in hiring and managing tradespeople and plant operators to get a feel for what the experience is like.

The survey is anonymous (and only takes a couple of minutes!), and I am only trying to get the general statistics to present to a group of students in a course I am doing.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=pAy2b4eVNEO61U-n5gsQr3-ZprsbJ1RNm1DnBC_WyfpUMzI5MzRLQVc0MTNGUlZXQ1I5MFNWQ k9COS4u

Hopefully you can help me out and feel free to discuss in the thread!
    IMHDO ...... agencies are killing the industry with their rip off strategies for both the labour and the companies who have to resort to using them ....
    When it's the only way to get a foot through the door on so many jobs, labour is left with no alternative and so the situation perpetuates
    employers need to take on worthy staff and have the ability to weed out those that aren't, without the fear of being dragged through tribunal systems, designed on the whole, to keep unemployable idiots off the streets/dole.

the biggest issue is so many of these companies, who undertake major contracts, are nothing more than a rented office, subcontracting every aspect of a project and attempting to limit their liabilities to anyone, including the customers, whilst making as big a profit as they possibly can, by screwing everyone involved. Very often, in order to do so, they have their fingers dipped in so many pies, they have no core expertise whatsoever and just muddle along inefficiently, desperately trying to claw every penny from everyone who has the misfortune to be involved with them.

Carrillion - - Interserve - - Kier -- the list is endless, nigh on ... first one's gone - biggest ever collapse in UK history ... t'other two are on the edge of the abyss and will take dozens if not hundreds with them and there are plenty more like them, hanging on by the very edges of their fingernails.

if you ain't 'cutting it' in your core activities, expanding into others, that you have **** all knowledge of, but might look like earners, just doesn't work ... BIG is far from beautiful, if big means massive diversity .... "Jack of all trades, master of none " ... never a truer saying, which can be applied to so many so say companies of paper shufflers ..... and agencies just allow and exacerbate their 'abilities' to carry on in this manner
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
      IMHDO ...... agencies are killing the industry with their rip off strategies for both the labour and the companies who have to resort to using them ....
      When it's the only way to get a foot through the door on so many jobs, labour is left with no alternative and so the situation perpetuates
      employers need to take on worthy staff and have the ability to weed out those that aren't, without the fear of being dragged through tribunal systems, designed on the whole, to keep unemployable idiots off the streets/dole.

the biggest issue is so many of these companies, who undertake major contracts, are nothing more than a rented office, subcontracting every aspect of a project and attempting to limit their liabilities to anyone, including the customers, whilst making as big a profit as they possibly can, by screwing everyone involved. Very often, in order to do so, they have their fingers dipped in so many pies, they have no core expertise whatsoever and just muddle along inefficiently, desperately trying to claw every penny from everyone who has the misfortune to be involved with them.

Carrillion - - Interserve - - Kier -- the list is endless, nigh on ... first one's gone - biggest ever collapse in UK history ... t'other two are on the edge of the abyss and will take dozens if not hundreds with them and there are plenty more like them, hanging on by the very edges of their fingernails.

if you ain't 'cutting it' in your core activities, expanding into others, that you have **** all knowledge of, but might look like earners, just doesn't work ... BIG is far from beautiful, if big means massive diversity .... "Jack of all trades, master of none " ... never a truer saying, which can be applied to so many so say companies of paper shufflers ..... and agencies just allow and exacerbate their 'abilities' to carry on in this manner
      Could not agree more there druid, no one training proper apprentices, no millennial wants to graft, 0 hour contracts etc etc........................
      A driven man with a burning passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stock View Post
        Could not agree more there druid, no one training proper apprentices, no millennial wants to graft, 0 hour contracts etc etc........................
        until this parasitic breed of money makers are eradicated from the system the industry'll never change Stock .... if/when the pool of 'convenience labour' disappears, the industries it supplies will have to revert to more traditional methods of 'acquiring' the necessary labour and skills pool it once had ... as the supply of skills available disappears, this system will inevitably 'collapse', but it'll be a long time coming
        If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
          employers need to take on worthy staff and have the ability to weed out those that aren't, without the fear of being dragged through tribunal systems,
          That there ....If it was easier to get rid of the work shy and the thievers such as I have employed .... small businesses would be far greater encouraged to employ people.

Originally posted by Stock View Post
          ,no millennial wants to graft, 0 hour contracts etc etc........................
          And that too ...
          Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Working...
          X