Small farms disappearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
    is this a Scottish thing Jim ..... don't think it exists south of the border
    surely it's possible to covenant a rental agreement ??

Yeah I think thats a bit of a red herring jim .. I run an owned croft in the west highlands, and there can be no claim on your land as long as you are using it properly, that includes renting it out.

This was legislation brought in Graham, to stop wealthy Arabs buying big estates in Scotland and then letting them go derelict and not maintaining them.

Theres a lot of mis information about it. I had advice from a so called legal 'expert' on matters relating to the crofting comission who are one of the biggest players in the legislation Jim is on about, and some of what he told me was complete tosh. In my dealings I have found the comission to be quite reasonable in fact - very dis jointed, but very helpful.

@Jim ... theres a massive push to get young people into crofting/agriculture .. trouble is few want to do it because its not an easy occupation ... rural location with no internet, and young johnny cant run his play station, and to hec with actually working more than 40 hrs a week , most just dont want to know ... but for those that are, theres some incentives on the go ... or is that the angle you are coming from ?, that a young lad such as yourself will get help, and the land owners are worried about that ?
    Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

cheers Muz
      only ability to claim ownership of a property, or slice of turf this side of the border, is if you maintain a piece of ground, unchallenged for 12 years, you can then register your name against a title for it.
      I know a few people who have done it, but proving it can be fraught, if challenged by a rightful owner, holding an existing title to it.
      I have in fact done it myself, but was an easier one, than simply laying claim to an area of ground, say, that one has maintained for 12 years.

Had a property with a 'garage' type structure contained within the curtilage of my property, landlocked, which had never actually been registered with all that surrounded it - an oversight by the original vendors - I used it and maintained it as if mine for in excess of 12 years unchallenged and then simply claimed title with the land reg., via my solicitor with a 'statement of truth' (formerly an affidavit) stating my usage, etc. ...... job done and had it included into my title deeds
      If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
        Yeah I think thats a bit of a red herring jim .. I run an owned croft in the west highlands, and there can be no claim on your land as long as you are using it properly, that includes renting it out.

This was legislation brought in Graham, to stop wealthy Arabs buying big estates in Scotland and then letting them go derelict and not maintaining them.

Theres a lot of mis information about it. I had advice from a so called legal 'expert' on matters relating to the crofting comission who are one of the biggest players in the legislation Jim is on about, and some of what he told me was complete tosh. In my dealings I have found the comission to be quite reasonable in fact - very dis jointed, but very helpful.

@Jim ... theres a massive push to get young people into crofting/agriculture .. trouble is few want to do it because its not an easy occupation ... rural location with no internet, and young johnny cant run his play station, and to hec with actually working more than 40 hrs a week , most just dont want to know ... but for those that are, theres some incentives on the go ... or is that the angle you are coming from ?, that a young lad such as yourself will get help, and the land owners are worried about that ?

there was a young entrant scheme but its either stopped or on hold just now. It was good but i missed it. So hope to get involved next time round. I did here of a youn entrant who had 6 acres and some sheep who got a £50,000 payment and is turning an old hotel into flats......
        i jut want some field sand some coes to get a heard of my own started then one day take over the family farm.

Comment

Jeeeeeeeezus ..... almost 700 acres
          You'll have to come visit one day we've got 'huge tracts of land' here. Lol

I know one day when I have a few pesos I'll make my way there and maybe one winter I'll go to Oz and maybe dodge the worst part of winter here.

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
            You'll have to come visit one day we've got 'huge tracts of land' here. Lol

I know one day when I have a few pesos I'll make my way there and maybe one winter I'll go to Oz and maybe dodge the worst part of winter here.
            I hear Scotland it good to visit all year round!

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Jim View Post
              i jut want some field sand some coes to get a heard of my own started then one day take over the family farm.
              Good on ye lad hope you can make it work .. gotta show the auld yin you got what it takes eh ? hehe .. you get there I'm sure
              Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Jeeeeeeeezus ..... almost 700 acres
                cLOSE , BUT NO CIGAR , SQUARE MILE IS 640 ACRES

Comment

Originally posted by ianoz View Post
                  Well he did say 'almost'

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
                    Well he did say 'almost'
                    Give me the 60 acres difference ...

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza View Post
                      Give me the 60 acres difference ...
                      But you only farm Weeds What would you do with 60 more weed filled acres

Comment

But you only farm Weeds What would you do with 60 more weed filled acres
                        Roll it up and smoke it?? Or are we talking a different kind of weed?

Comment

I hear Scotland it good to visit all year round!

........... 's pretty all year round
                          If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

aye ...... just realised I divided by 4480 instead of 4840 ..... 's a fkn lorra turf anyway

Comment

there was a young entrant scheme but its either stopped or on hold just now. It was good but i missed it. So hope to get involved next time round. I did here of a youn entrant who had 6 acres and some sheep who got a £50,000 payment and is turning an old hotel into flats......
                              take it there is little in the way of audit on what happens to the handout then

Comment

Originally posted by 245dlc View Post
                                Roll it up and smoke it?? Or are we talking a different kind of weed?
                                Yep thats the one ,trouble is the smoke is from wildfire this time of year

Comment

Working...
                                X