Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel in oil?

Hi Muz and others,

Holiday digging season has started. EC15B is delivering nicely but now I suspect a new issue. The oil level might have risen a bit. This is what I think, have not verified it, but will follow.

Any previous experiences on fuel leaking into the oil sump?

The engine runs normally, no overheating or any other issues. Makes a lot of fun, but wanted to post this heads up out of curiosity and for possible comments.

cheers (and beers)

mattir

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
    Hi Muz and others,

Holiday digging season has started. EC15B is delivering nicely but now I suspect a new issue. The oil level might have risen a bit. This is what I think, have not verified it, but will follow.

Any previous experiences on fuel leaking into the oil sump?

The engine runs normally, no overheating or any other issues. Makes a lot of fun, but wanted to post this heads up out of curiosity and for possible comments.

cheers (and beers)

mattir
    are the injectors external or in the rocker cover? some of the triple petters used to have them inside the rockers and the return lines'd leak into the sump
    could also be Hyd oil if you have a timing case mounted pump, with a faulty seal ??
    If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8druid View Post
      are the injectors external or in the rocker cover? some of the triple petters used to have them inside the rockers and the return lines'd leak into the sump
      could also be Hyd oil if you have a timing case mounted pump, with a faulty seal ??
      Injectors are external with camshaft control.

Run today for some 7 hours and will check the oil level tomorrow morning.

Made an additional observation: the fuel tank became quite warrm as the fuel inside warmed, felt like some 45+ degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattir View Post
        Injectors are external with camshaft control.

Run today for some 7 hours and will check the oil level tomorrow morning.

Made an additional observation: the fuel tank became quite warrm as the fuel inside warmed, felt like some 45+ degrees.
        Fuel warming is normal because the leak off line returns warm fuel to tank, Id be more worried something is dripping off the pumping members down into the sump as the pump is integral
        Please don't PM me for plant advice.. thanks .. Post in the forum where I will gladly help, as will many of our contributors.. as the info and responses will help everyone else, which is why we exist

Comment

Originally posted by Muz View Post
          Fuel warming is normal because the leak off line returns warm fuel to tank, Id be more worried something is dripping off the pumping members down into the sump as the pump is integral
          Yes. First time felt that warm fuel. It was really warm.

The pump can be consided to be integral as it sits beside the block. It would be very hard to notice any leak as the leak would dissappear inside the engine. I quess the only way is to observe the oil level?

digging day today and the I will load the -15 on a trailer and start journey back to the civilization.

Comment

any major collection of diesel into the sump should be evident with the nose and a rub between the fingers ...
            diesel contaminated oil thins pretty quickly and with such a little sump, shouldn't take a lot of spotting ...

as said only other causes of oil level rising are water ... easily spotted ....
            or hydraulic oil leaking from - most usually - a timing case mounted aux/servo pump

unless it's a dramatic rise on the dipstick, assessing it'd be hard, unless it's dipped in exactly the same place/position, daily, on a flat and level surface
            If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Comment

Working...
            X